“Below average food, won't return.”
Review of Livebait - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Livebait
More attraction details
Owner description: Popular seafood restaurant and bar in central London.
Reviewed 26 March 2011

We dined here using Tesco clubcard vouchers so can hardly complain about getting a 'free' meal. However, we left disappointed.
The food imo was quite dull, lacking much flavour, and over priced. Some of it was also luke warm rather than hot.
The starter of cajun prawns was nice but £10 for 3 prawns and not a hit of cajun spice that I could detect. The other starter of crab cakes was a better size but 2 of the 3 cakes contained shell and they were again rather lacking in flavour. Mains were better - whole bream was well cooked, tasty and delicate but the side of buttered parsley mash was cold. The special of salmon and swordfish was nice but rather small.
Service - the welcome we had was rude and a poor start the the meal. We were 15 minutes late for the booking, which isn't that late but the waitress commented upon it. That when we were eating at 5.30pm and the place wasn't even half full. Thankfully the waitress we had for the rest of the meal was wonderful - very friendly, attentive and helpful with recommending a good carafe of wine.
However, in summary I wouldn't go back - you can get better quality for a more reasonable price elsewhere.
Oh and toilets were fairly grotty,

Reviewed 14 February 2011

In summary I thoroughly enjoyed my experience, it's soo important to eat sustainably sourced fish & it is hard to find a fish restaurant with such high values as Livebait - all their fish is accredited by Marine Conservation Society.

Yes you can probably eat a TEENY bit cheaper in another fish restaurant in London- but you may not agree or know where your food is from. I don't think it is worth the compromise, I would happily pay more for sustainably sourced food.

We discovered Livebait has we had drunk in the bar opposite on quite a few occasions and always thought the resturant opposite looked worth a visit.

Plus the food is delicious and hearty. We had mussels to start and fish pie & fish and chips for main. The ambience was welcoming with fresh, clean & modern decor - definitely not pretentious. The staff were attentive & knowledgeable so we happily paid the 12.5% service charge as it is what they deserved.

Will go back soon and look forward to trying something more adventurous!

Reviewed 19 May 2010

After trip on the London Eye, a visit to Churchill War rooms and the Clink prison, it was time for a spot of lunch. We were looking for a cheapish snack, or so I thought, until hubby spotted a sign for Lobster outside of Livebait. Why not? we said and were seated at my request, in a booth by the window.
We ordered the lobster platter for 2 at £75 which came with a whole lobster cut in too, a whole dressed crab where we just had to get the meat from the claws, some large prawns and lots and lots of smaller prawns served with a pot of plain mayo and fresh lemon. A basket of crusty bread was served with what tasted like sardine butter and ordinary butter.
The lobster and crab were quite tasty, if a little messy to get to all the bits. The prawns could have done with a garlic mayo or other dip in sauces. Indeed I asked and was given a small bowl of melted garlic butter which didnt really do the trick.
We also ordered a bottle of Verve Clique at £60 - steep I know and very decadent for a Saturday lunch and no celebration as such :-)
There were people queing on the street outside to watch The Lion King and they were peeping through the windows and pointing at our huge platter.
We did leave a considerable amount of prawns in their shells - just too many for 2 people.
Enjoyable meal but value for money - I dont think so.

2  Thank JillyTPreston_Lancs
Reviewed 18 January 2010

Overpriced mediocre food and a wine list that's just a joke - £30 for a bottle of NZ Sauvignon Blanc! I'm afraid this place just doesn't deliver. It's a typical Private Equity Investment operation - no soul to the place, everything costed to the last bean and delivered with the flare you'd expect from something thought up by a bunch of accountants/bankers. A simply dreadful experience.

See more reviews
Reviewed 2 November 2009

I went ther on October 31 2009.

My main course was incomplete - it should have included bread, but the restaurant had run out of bread apparently!

At first the waiter denied the dish should have had bread, so we had to call for the menu to show him. Then he revealed that they had no bread. We were still charged the cover charge for bread - of course we hadn't had any. The staff refused to remove it from the bill.

Overall the food was ok, nothing more. The prices are very high, so it's not value for money. I ended up arguing with the staff - why are they so argumentative - so not a good evening at all.