“Extremely disappointing”

Got a photo?
Add it.
Livebait
More attraction details
Owner description: Popular seafood restaurant and bar in central London.
Reviewed 2 November 2009

I went ther on October 31 2009.

My main course was incomplete - it should have included bread, but the restaurant had run out of bread apparently!

At first the waiter denied the dish should have had bread, so we had to call for the menu to show him. Then he revealed that they had no bread. We were still charged the cover charge for bread - of course we hadn't had any. The staff refused to remove it from the bill.

Overall the food was ok, nothing more. The prices are very high, so it's not value for money. I ended up arguing with the staff - why are they so argumentative - so not a good evening at all.

Reviewed 12 March 2008

Livebait - The Cut

What a lovely restaurant. I booked a table for my partner and I for his birthday. The restaurant is opposite (almost) The Young Vic and you can see it from Southwark Station, the distinctive green neon bulbs lighting up the exterior. The interior decor is wonderful, all tiled in white and green (looks like a fishmongers!), there are three sections the one on the right has booth's. Livebait is a seafood/shellfish restaurant in the main although there are a couple of non-fish meals on the menu.

To start we had the crab cakes, with a potato salad and remoulade sauce and Atlantic shell-on prawns. The crab cakes (highly recommended) were wonderful and the sauce complemented them well, the potato salad was very nice and had dill in (one of my favourite herbs), the prawns were fiddly (but to be expected) but were very fresh and tasty.

Main courses we ordered, a whole lemon sole with chips and grilled salmon with parsley mashed potato, both the dishes were fantastic, my only complaint was that the chips were a little hard, but they were home made and not frozen!

For pudding we shared the thin pastry "flammekuche" apple tart with raspberry sorbet. This was like a mini tarte tatin (no caramel though) but it had just been baked, you could tell by the crunch sound the pastry made when it was cut into. This apple tart was delicious in fact all the other puddings I saw being delivered to the other tables looked great too!

I would rate my experience here very highly, nice ambiance, the staff were friendly, food was of a very good standard. Price wise it was a little expensive and they add a 12.5% service charge to the bill. That said I would definitely go again!

2  Thank NorthLondonian