“"Afternoon Tea at Browns Hotel"”
Review of Brown's Hotel

Brown's Hotel
Ranked #19 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 31 March 2013

My daughter surprised me for my birthday with "Afternoon Tea with a Twist" at Brown's Hotel.... The twist being it was "Tea Tox".....a healthy version of afternoon tea.
First off let me just explain, last year my daughter and i decided instead of presents we would take each other out for a "birthday treat", so last year i took her for afternoon tea at The Ritz... I must say my experience at Browns was so much better, maybe not as elegant as the Ritz but by far a much more relaxed atmosphere...
Our waiter William was fantastic, explaining our menu to us, both food and teas....I chose the Blackcurrant & Hibiscus Fruit infusions which was lovely, my daughter had Lemon & something which she also enjoyed.
William was very attentive, refilling our plates regularly....
The only downfall for me was by choosing Tea Tox we didn't get scones, i mentioned this to William who soon put that right and brought out a plate of beautiful warm scones, clotted cream and jam....mmmmm finished off the afternoon lovely.
At the end of our experience both my daughter and i were presented with a little gift back of our chosen tea....
Fantastic day....Thanks Chantel xx
And thank you William for making our afternoon so delightful.

Room Tip: I didn't stay at the hotel so i'm unable to comment on the rooms...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Sistabenji
StuartJohnsonLondon, General Manager at Brown's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2013

I am so pleased that you had enjoyed your visit and only sorry to learn that you felt thet the team member serving you on the day was slightly stretched. This is certainly never our intention. I do so hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,473)

Reviewed 28 March 2013

I took my parents to afternoon tea at Brown's Hotel as a belated wedding anniversary present. I did a lot of research before deciding on Browns. We'd been to Claridge's and the Ritz previously but i had read such fantastic review about Browns, i booked us in there. We arrived early and asked the hotel staff if was ok to be seated in the bar(as we were very early for the time i had originally booked for) and we were shown through to a lovely bar. Once our table was ready, we were collected and then we were shown to our corner table. We selected the type of tea we wanted(we chose the traditional afternoon tea but the options included a lower calorie version and a champagne tea). We were then presented with the tea menu, two of us chose the Brown afternoon blend tea and 1 chose the breakfast blend tea, to which we were informed that the afternoon blend was the nicest of the teas and really we should all have that! So thats what we had! The tea was brought to the table and poured for us. My Father noticed that his cup had a large hairline fracture running down the side and once this had been pointed out, it was quickly changed. Then came the traditional 3 tiered cake stand(sandwiches at the bottom and delicate desserts at the top - all of these were individually described by our waiter) - the middle plate was left empty but was eventually replaced with lovely warm scones - with large pots of strawberry jam and clotted cream to go with them. The sandwiches were ok(nice and fresh but the fillings were nothing to write home about), the scones were particularly good as was the strawberry jam and desserts were all very nice. You could have as much as you wanted of the sandwiches, scones and desserts(and we did!). And when we had eaten our fill of those, were were then presented with the cake trolley!! There were 2 options: victoria sandwich(i had this) and simnel cake(my parents had this) and these were also good. We had a really good afternoon relaxing at Browns Hotel and really the only thing i can criticise are the levels of staff - our waiter was serving 5 tables(one which had eight people, one with 4, one with 3 and two tables of 2!) which meant that the service wasn't very efficient, we had to ask to have the tea, hit water and sandwiches to be replenished, rather than being asked by the waiter as he was trying to wait on so many tables. I really felt quite sorry for him but when you're paying £40(approx per person + added service charge) you expect to have a decent level of service and i felt that this was lacking. However, this small issue didn't spoil our experience and overall we really enjoyed our Brown's Afternoon tea.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Rachael C
Reviewed 28 March 2013

We were fortunate enough to be treated to afternoon tea here and felt very out of place being four lads not dressed in suits. However our waiter was extremely professional and not in the least bit snobby, and although none of us had ever been for afternoon tea anywhere before he explained how it all worked. Having wandered down Oxford Street and enduring the usual hustle and bustle and constantly getting shoved around and dodging tourists, Brown's was such a nice escape from it and was a step into a calm tranquil environment where we felt pampered. The selection of teas is incredible, the sandwiches very tasty, the cakes very nice and the scones were just out of this world, especially with jam and clotted cream!! Remember this is four lads with big appetites and we were stuffed by the end of it. I've never thought I'd enjoy this thinking it's not my world but I've definitely changed my mind. And if you've done a big shopping trip then forget Starbuck's, come here and treat yourself. This is the ideal way to relax and get away from the hecticness of central London. Brilliant.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank 88Martin88

Many thanks for all the positive comments. I am pleased that we were able to answer the hungry appetites of four gentlemen. We look forward to weloming you back.

Reviewed 28 March 2013

I've rated Brown's a 5 instead of a 4 strictly because of the employees....My husband has stayed at Brown's several times and raved about about how charming it is. Since we were going to be there 8 nights , they offered us an upgraded room (at a price), which I understand from co-workers this is general op procedure. Hubby said he'd been in much better rooms than the one we were offered. Is being on the street side worth 40pounds a night more? I really don't think so. I considered the room (#320) shabby. The carpet was rolling and stretched in places and furnishings just weren't that nice. The King size bed is actually 2 twins pushed together which would of been ok - if a nice mattress pad had been used to smooth the area where the beds meet. However, the room was clean and housekeeping was great about bringing ice, turn down service etc.

The best part of our stay - the concierge service - need theater tickets? No problem - even scored hard to get tickets for The Book of Morman. Dinner reservations? No problem - they'll suggest and secure. They greeted us by name when we approached the desk, asked how we liked the shows, how the food was etc. The doorman welcomed me back and asked how my when I returned and was quick to offer an umbrella when it was sleeting.

It seems that all the employees of Brown's are friendly, smile and say hi - This is what makes Brown's worth staying at.

If you go, book afternoon tea reservations prior to your arrival. The sandwiches and scones are delicious, the cakes were a little dry but still tasted good.

Room Tip: Don't be tempted to get the "upgrade". The original room you booked will be just as ni...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor particularly in relation to my team who always strive to go the extra mile. I appreciate your comments on the room that you had taken and wish to assure you that we are some way through a soft furnishing renovation including carpets and which will be accelerated in the next six weeks. I do so hope we shall have the opportunity of welcoming you back on a future occasion when if I can be of any further assistance I ask tha you not hesitate in letting me know.

Reviewed 25 March 2013

You certainly will not leave hungry, if you have afternoon tea here. The hotel’s website gives a fairly accurate description of what to expect. We had tea on 19th of March to celebrate a special birthday. The English tea room was busy, but people’s arrival time was scattered. Although when you book ,you are told that you have the table for 90 minutes, no-one asked us to move after that time; the tables around us were also being very leisurely. Service was good, but no mention of the price on the website indicated that 12.5% would be added to the cost of afternoon tea in the form of a service charge. There were only 2 of us in our party and there is not an option to serve yourself! I think that the true cost should be published on the website. I was also surprised and disappointed by the fact that there were only 2 cakes, a chocolate one and a victoria sandwich, to choose from on the trolley. When we left a number of guests were still eating, but all the chocolate cake had gone. I had heard very good reports about afternoon tea at Brown’s, so was a little disappointed in the quantity of the sandwich fillings and the variety of cakes available. Sandwiches, scones ,cakes etc. are all small, but this is not a problem as you will be offered us many sandwiches and scones as you want.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your entry following a visit for Afternoon Tea and also for bringing to our attention that our website has inadvertently dropped the identification of a discretionary 12.5% service charge, now remedied. I was pleased to learn that you enjoyed your tea with us. You mention your disappointment at only having two cakes upon the trolley. This follows the wider selection of smaller pastries, of which you are able to have as many as you would like, and we always have ample refills of the larger cakes on the trolley as well.

Reviewed 24 March 2013

I joined Leading Hotels of the World last year and have tried to stay exclusively in them in order to use the member benefits. Brown's was exceptional! Incredibly helpful and attentive staff, exquisite bed, spacious room, wonderful restaurant and bar and the location...wow! You couldn't ask for more. I will most certainly be back! Many thanks.

Room Tip: Joining Leading Hotels of the World as they offer free room upgrades where available!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Lucinda B
StuartJohnsonLondon, General Manager at Brown's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2013

Thank you for your recent posting on Trip Advisor and for your overall appreciation of Brown's as a member of Leading Hotels of the World and the excellent service you received. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Reviewed 22 March 2013

This is a lovely hotel. It's quite quiet in comparison to some of the places we have stayed and I do feel that it is geared more towards maybe older couples. However I couldn't fault this hotel for what it was as the service, rooms, food were all excellent. The doorman was wonderful and very helpful.Browns is ideally located for shopping.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Part of the charm of Brown's is that it is a quiet hotel, but located in the bustling heart of Mayfair. I am pleased you enjoyed all we had to offer and I do hope you will visit again.