“Afternoon Tea at 6:30pm - Perfect”
Review of Brown's Hotel

Brown's Hotel
Ranked #19 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I felt the experience of an afternoon tea was a necessity for our family's first visit to England. Time and research got away from me and I made the reservation the day of the seating - a Saturday (the last seating is earlier during the week). I was right to feel lucky. The servings there are unlimited but it's good to let your waiter know that you may be interested in another serving. It was a proper tea with silver flatware and teapots (dripless), crisp white linens with intimate table arrangements. The room was also visually perfect as I wanted more old english (think medium stained oak paneling/ wainscoting) - deep red, brown or taupe seats of suede or velvet with leather trim rather than crystals and shiny. The lighting fixtures were a bit of a surprise - midcentury modern. We had a lovely location in the first of three rooms, in a corner nook with a high table (some are coffee table level). Our waiter was attentive and never intrusive. It was very relaxing and a perfect way to spend our last evening in London. I think we left around 8:30pm, thoroughly sated.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
StuartJohnsonLondon, General Manager at Brown's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

The English tradition of aftrnoon tea is best experienced at Brown's, within its comfortable and elegant Tea Room. I am pleased to know that we met your expectations in terms of comfortable surroundings, discreet attention and unlimited servings and also that we contributed to a perfect last evening for you in London. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of our visit. The room (upgraded to deluxe) was
large and had all of the amenities we wanted. The service everywhere was excellent.
We had a late dinner at the hotel restaurant - Hix Mayfair - that was also excellent and
had a wide variety of entrees. I had fish and chips and my wife had rack of lamb.
The bar was busy and good and we loved that they rebuilt the entire holel but left
the main room for afternoon tea as it was.It is probably the best location in London -
almost everything was within a relatively short walk - 20 minutes. The buffet continental
breakfast was very good. We highly recommend Brown's to everyone.

Room Tip: The wifi is free for the first 24 hours in all of the rooms. The rooms overlooking Albemarle are su...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
StuartJohnsonLondon, General Manager at Brown's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Thank you for your 'highly recommended' for Brown's and allit has to offer following your recent stay with us. We seem to have scored top marks in all areas includinjg our excellent central location. We look fowrard to welcomng you back for another thoroughly enjoyable visit soon.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

Loved staying here for the three nights we were in London. What did we love about our stay here? The friendly and knowledgeable staff, the great food available in either HIX or the bar, and the fact that our three young daughters had a number of gifts awaiting them in the room when we checked in. They know what "customer service" means!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your charming review outlining all that you loved about staying with us here at Brown's. We pride ourselves on being a home away from home and taking special care of our future guests and I am so please you and your daughters had such an enjoyable stay. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future

Reviewed 23 July 2014

This was a 70th birthday gift from my niece - champagne afternoon tea in London. We chose Brown's as my brother recommended it and were not disappointed. The atmosphere was sophisticated yet welcoming. The staff were attentive and pleasant. They did not rush at all so we were able to relax and enjoy the delicious fare. Dress code stated smart, and we, along with the staff and most of the guests followed this code. However I was disappointed to see some sloppily dressed guests and this spoiled it a little. This was a special day for me and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

We do have a recommended dress code for the tea room, though not everyone observes it as you noticed and I am pleased that you did not allow this to not spoil your day. We like to make special occasions memorable and I am so pleased that you had a thoroughly enjoyable and unhurried 70th birthday celebration with us here at Brown's. We look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Just recently stayed in this hotel and it was amazing. Everything thing about it, service, room, staff... it was great and I will absolutely stay here again. Great location as to not a lot of road noise yet can walk to everything you may need or want. Really great area!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
StuartJohnsonLondon, General Manager at Brown's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Thank you for your charming review detailing everything good about Brown's. We like our guests to feel it is indeed a 'home away from home', and I'm pleased this was the case for you. We shall look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

When travelling, Our family have a tendency to move between two luxury hotel chains.
One is the Shangri-la and the other Rocco Forte.
We had chosen Browns as we had started our trip with the Charles in Munich and knew if we were to fly for 24 hours home, we would want to be pampered before hand.
Browns certainly didn't disappoint.
Arriving on a thursday afternoon, the service was swift from the Concerge and we were in the Hotel in matter of seconds.
Served straight away for Check in the children were given their own welcome backs with special request forms for the children. We were personally escorted to our rooms by front desk staff.
A Room opposite Tiffanys is always a delight!
We were given tours of our room and shown how to use all the amenities. (I really like this as most just dump and run and you don't know how to use the tvs with all the movies and kids shows). Cold drinks on hand and a beautiful bottle of champagne awaited me. Devine!
Our luggage was brought to our rooms fast.
Our first night we dined in the restaurant and the meals were superb. My children had the fish n chips with mushy peas. Im still dreaming of those mushy peas. Highlight of my night!
The beds devine to rest ones weary bones.
Our room was a suite, so we had a little living room with fireplace and table that all 5 of us could sit around to eat.
the bathrooms are modern and spacious with extra little luxuries like sea foam sponges and scented candles and oils for the bath whilst you watch your own tv!
The second night of our stay, we dined in our rooms.
The room service was fantastic. We ordered everything we wanted and meals were brought up as we required them. No dumping and running. We had firm ice-cream for the kids, not soggy messes in bowls by the time the kids had finished their mains.
Nothing was a problem, even when my 4 year old locked us out of their interconnecting room after he decided to close the door! Or when the cable came out of the tv (little fingers) and maintenance came right up and fixed both in seconds.
It is the little things that make your stay wonderful.
Personal linen for the children. They had supplied, reading material, pencils, Toothbrushes and toothpaste for the kids. Milk and cookies brought to the room before bed time.
I cannot thank all of the staff for being so accommodating especially when we were a group of eight.
I know when we are next in London, we won't even consider anywhere else. Im just sad we didn't have much more time to enjoy it all.... next time!

Room Tip: We contacted the Hotel direct via email to ensure we had great family rates and interconnecting room...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Kellsie78

I don't really know where to begin in thanking you for your extensive and positive review of Brown's. If I were personally to have written a sales and marketing pitch, I could not have done it better! Being a home awy from home, exceeding guest expectations and more importantly being a property that welcomes children of all ages warmly is our ultimate goal, and I am so pleased that my team were able to achieve such wonderful feedback from you and your family. They all joine me in thanking you for such positivity and with me so look forward to welcoming you and yoru family back on a future occasion.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

I've stayed at Brown's several times, and have experienced it in different stages of decor and repair. Though the interiors may change, there are constants that do not: Brown's is the quietest, roomiest, loveliest sleep in London. True to its history, it does not feel like a hotel. It feels like a stay in a lovely, highly attentive Mayfair home, with privacy and services. As always, the concierge staff at Brown's is absolutely superb and will do anything needed to help with your stay which they did plenty of for us. The tea service remains remarkable. Again, the best in London. Cozy, welcoming, fresh and delicious. So comfortable and easy to linger over. That said, there was a small stumble at check-in that was overcome. I cannot stress to hotels how important the check-in experience is from the guest's point of view. It colors the entire experience! Upon our check-in, there was a mix up as to our room type. Though it was resolved to my satisfaction, one that included paying more for a better room (an inside quite courtyard junior suite), our encounter with the desk clerk was initially unpleasant and unwelcoming. After a very long flight from San Francisco, we were particularly sensitive and exhausted. The clerk was focused on placing blame upon who made this error, demanding what were the names of staff I'd spoken to months earlier when making the reservation, acting in utter disbelief that it could be an error, and asking exactly when I had these conversations. It was not good - I felt interrogated. We wanted her to focus on the problem and finding a solution. With additional help from more desk staff we were finally offered an acceptable room at a very high additional cost, which I was willing to accept but expressed that I was disappointed in the whole experience. The additional price was adjusted downward and we were sent to the bar to rest while our room was readied. In the end, we loved our room. It was exactly what I know Brown's for - great beds, fluffy pillows, plenty of space and lovely bath. But honestly, that was not the best way to begin a stay at my favorite hotel in London. I avoided the front desk the whole time we were there - feeling somehow we were not important enough guests to have received more professional, and frankly, kind treatment. Not so with the concierge, or the tearoom staff -- all beyond expectations. Will I return again? Absolutely. But please be nicer upon check-in...even if there are problems, focusing on the solution and making the guest feel welcome should be the most important detail. Brown's should know that by now.

Room Tip: Choose the inside courtyard facing for quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your most positive and constructive comments on your recent return to Brown's. Such feedback is so important as we are only ever as good as our weakest link and I am sorry you found one on check in. As someone who travels long distances on a regular basis, I know how improtant a seamless arrival with helpful Reception team members is. My apologies. The team member concerned has been spoken to. Thank you again for your time and we look forward to welcoming you back again.