“Elegant hotel, with highly attentive staff and fabulous spa treatments”
Review of One Aldwych

One Aldwych
Ranked #41 of 1,069 Hotels in London
England
“Elegant hotel, with highly attentive staff and fabulous spa treatments”
Reviewed 31 August 2012

The One Aldwych Hotel is a beautiful Edwardian boutique hotel with a delightful Parisian influence designed by Charles Mewes and Arthur Davis, whom also created the Ritz hotels in London and Paris. The architectural grandeur is a jewel within the area of Aldwych and the Strand. Featuring the coppered cupola dome, female head keystones, cornices, and balconies, the elegance of Paris is clearly evident.

I stayed in the Deluxe Room on the fifth floor, which offered a peaceful environment from the rapid pace of London, with soft muted pastel decor, hypnosis beds, a grohe shower that allowed you to select the exact temperature for your shower (as the temperature is clearly marked in degrees) and a perfectly sized bathtub. The Hypnosis bed allowed for the perfect nights sleep, from which I emerged truly refreshed. I was delighted to discover a glass plate of four Laduree French macaroons in four different exquisite flavours.

My moment of heightened indulgence was the signature Floral Ritual using Natura Bisse products. The level of relaxation reached within the 90 minute treatment was incomparable as the heavenly fragrance of roses surrounded me, allowing every muscle to surrender to the nurturing massage with the nourishing Amaranth Oil, rich in squalen, high in antioxidants and known for its moisturising, soothing and anti-inflammatory effects. On researching the amazing benefits of Amaranth oil, including strengthening the immune system, improvement of the circulatory system, I began to comprehend the amazing results from the treatment. Normally I opt for deep tissue massages, and other very deep and firm massages to release the tension from my back, neck and shoulders (one of the hazards from prolonged periods of writing), yet this very gentle massage with rose bud compresses and warm amaranth oil loosed all the tension from my shoulders in such a short period of time. The rose bud compresses provided more stimulation than the usual herbal compresses one traditionally experiences. The floral ritual signature massage has provided me with a metaphor for life, as I am truly amazed that the most gentle massage with the highly beneficial Amaranth Oil coaxed my shoulders into relaxing away the effects of hours (years) of writing at my computer, almost re-educating my body that nature (and life) may bring to me exactly what I need, yet this may happen in the most gentle manner (rather than pummelling my body to unlock the tension in my muscles).

The dining experience at Indigo Restaurant was a culinary adventure, exploring further vegetarian options. As I was seated on the Mezzine Balcony at The Indigo Restaurant, I was graced with views from One Aldwych Bar through the elaborate arched windows out onto the Aldwych/Strand Junction. I was both delighted and surprised to receive a vegetarian menu, allowing my selection process to be that much easier and swifter. I commenced my dining experience with Celeriac Soup with glazed salsify, and trompette de la mort. The creamy celeriac was greatly enhanced by the wonderful tangy taste of salsify, certainly one of the most wonderful culinary soup creations I have tasted. The tompette de la mort, also known as the horn of plenty, added je ne sais quoi, and a starter I recommend when visiting The Indigo Restaurant. For the main course I selected the Sweet Potato Pancakes with caramelised aubergine puree, vegetable skewers, cherry tomatoes, marinated chillies, khobz, dukkah and hummus. I was informed that the Sweet Potato Pancakes are a favourite choice for many people, and it was clear as to why, as I tasted the perfect contrast of sweet and tangy flavours with a little heat from the chilli peppers. The aubergine puree, khobz, dukkah and hummus provided a journey of taste exploration. For dessert I chose the European Cheese board, homemade chutney and crackers. Generous portions of Comte, Brie de Meaux, Epoisse and Roquefort with oatcake and Lavoche crackers created the perfect ending to a delightful meal.

One Aldwych Hotel uniquely weaves elegance, grace, architectual beauty, culinary genius, exclusive spa treatments, allowing a rebalancing of mind and body, and the full emergence of your Joie de Vivre.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Hebrew first
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 29 August 2012

I have stayed at other hotels in London but once I have stayed at One Aldwych I would not stay anywhere else. Great location, could walk to my office on Fetter Lane and close to theatres and Covant Garden. Cant wait to find reason to go back!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank JenP48095
singapore
Reviewed 19 August 2012

The facial at the spa was excellent 5*
The food was consistently excellent whether it was breakfast, lunch or dinner- I ate in the hotel a lot.
Small touches abound- plate of fresh fruit in the room, toiletries nicely laid out, slippers by the beside, a weather report update on a card every day and bottles of the nicest water.
There was absolutely nothing I disliked about this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank kristal1980
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2012

We had a work function in the restaurant here about 10 years ago when the place was shiny and new but now, in the rooms especially, it's beginning to look ever so slightly worn (chipped woodwork, scratched doors, loose taps and so on). The rooms are not huge either - you could swing a cat, but not a tiger.

The public/communal areas are still immaculate, and the style hasn't dated at all: the food in the restaurant still super. We were here over Christmas and it was very warm and festive inside. Despite it being a busy period, service was attentive and even the valet-parking worked (it has to be fast, or you get a ticket if you leave the car outside for more than 2 mins).

It's also a great location near Covent Garden - we went (I admit it) to the Lion King just around the corner, and visited the Build-a-Bear shop - something we'd never done despite 15 years living in London. Lovely for the kids.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank MacDaddyinSing
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Have stayed at One Aldwych in the past and found the hotel was expensive but very classy. The attention to detail was immaculate, the staff were friendly and efficient and any shortcomings were outweighed by the pleasure of being there.
Last month, however, the shortcomings carried more weight. Lots of minor details were irritatingly wrong - and, more significantly, were not corrected when pointed out. The rooms we had asked for were meant to be twin-bedded but we were given doubles. The hotel's response to this was to replace a large double duvet with two single duvets, nothing more. Orders were either lost or not responded to with any speed, etc, etc.
There are places in London that give you a lot more space for the same money - and that get orders right and respond to them promptly. Sadly, this last visit was enough to make us look elsewhere for trips to London.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank RS B
StefanSoennichsen, General Manager at One Aldwych, responded to this review, 20 August 2012
Dear RS B

I am concerned to hear that we did not meet your expectations during your recent stay and I firstly wish to apologise sincerely to you.

At One Aldwych we go to considerable lengths to recruit team members who are meticulous and focused on our guests. This type of feedback is extremely rare and taken most seriously. I hope that you don’t mind if I contact you directly for further details, so we can investigate.

I am sorry that you did not have the experience you had hoped for on this occasion and I do hope that we may have the opportunity to redeem ourselves in the future.

Yours sincerely

Stefan Soennichsen
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed 12 August 2012

I think that the One Aldwych hotel in London is fantastic. I really like the design. It looks like a hotel in space with all the good human values.

I do not seam to discover many hotels with such a positive attitude at a management level and the staff picks up this attitude and really strives at their job, so the service is great.

The concierge service is off the charts. I found there all the answers I could ever need. All the best!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Alina L
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2012

The location is wonderful, the service is superb. From the best bathroom, excellent beds, top class leisure facilities and to start the day a magnificent English breakfast. This really was an excellent hotel from which to base our stay in London. Two minutes up to Covent Garden and easy access to the river. It was first class.

Room Tip: We had a suite on the front of the Hotel which was excellent.