“Central, Luxurious, Pricey”

Ranked #41 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Zurich, Switzerland
“Central, Luxurious, Pricey”
Reviewed 23 October 2012

Love One Aldwych - a true luxury boutique hotel as central as you can get in London. Its not cheap by any stretch of the imagination, but then you wouldnt expect it to be. Great restaurant and bar area, friendly reception, great rooms (at least the one I had which looked out onto the Alwych). Despite the location, I found the room quiet and comfortable with a good bathroom. I would not hesitate to stay here again and found it better and more personal than other nearby luxury hotels.

Room Tip: I liked the rooms looking out onto the Aldwych to watch people go by. I suspect the rooms looking ou...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
StefanSoennichsen, General Manager at One Aldwych, responded to this review, 9 November 2012
Dear Ross H
Many thanks for sharing your feedback following your recent stay at One Aldwych. We are thrilled to know that you enjoyed your time with us and noted our individual approach. We look forward to welcoming you back for another visit soon.
Stefan Soennichsen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Hebrew first
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2012

We didn't know much about this hotel but were attracted by the idea of their Martinis and Movies night and decided to try it out.

The location was very convenient for theatre goers, with many of London's theatres just around the corner and others within easy walking distance. The staff couldn't have been more professional or helpful - from the moment the door staff whisked away our decidedly unimpressive car to park it for us, to the moment they brought it back and carefully deposited our luggage in the boot. I really liked their grey and purple uniforms too - they were smart and modern and set the tone for the smart, modern interior of the hotel.

The movie that night was the lovely, quirky 'Moonrise Kingdom'. The cinema is very small - only 30 large, leather covered seats in four or five rows. We were ushered to our seats and offered a cocktail, made before our eyes in the cinema. Be warned - the Vodka Martinis are VERY strong! They thoughtfully also offer bottled water in case you need to sober up. My only qualm concerns the popcorn, offered in large styrofoam cups - it was a bit tasteless.

Bland popcorn apart, it was a lovely experience and we shall do it again. The movie was followed by a meal in their AXIS restaurant, which is part of the package. The set menu wasn't large but it was delicious and the service was excellent.

We ended our evening with champagne cocktails in their large, elegant but very comfortable bar area, and then wandered off to bed, more than slightly fuddled. Even the bed was comfortable!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kittywise
Dear kittywise
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our Martini Movies experience. I am very pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your evening. All feedback is invaluable to us and we have noted all your comments – my apologies that you found our Martinis rather strong! I will certainly share your thoughts with the team and we do hope that we will be able to welcome you back.
Cambridge, England
Reviewed 21 October 2012 via mobile

We have stayed here several times over the years and can attest to the consistency of service in this first class hotel. Special highlights are the understated and luxurious rooms and the convivial vaulted cocktail bar ( one of the best places for post theatre cocktails in London). Breakfasts in the mezzanine dining room are also excellent.
If you stay here once, you won't want to stay anywhere else in town.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank bigbirdandgrizzly
St. Asaph, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 October 2012

Ok, so I’m neither rich nor famous but am fortunate enough to have a wife (with a birthday) and two children aged eleven and seven. As a result of these assets (including the birthday) I searched for a nice hotel in theatre land, with interconnecting rooms and a pool; after some difficulty I count myself as lucky to have rung ‘One Aldwych’. From the initial telephone conversation to the time we checked out the experience was faultless.
I have previously stayed in a few quality hotels but have never before seen such attention to detail, I had been asked for the ages of the kids but was amazed to find dressing gowns, slippers and books appropriate to those ages waiting in their room. Similarly I may have mentioned that birthday but certainly hadn’t requested the cake found waiting on the table. When the children went to say thank you for their experience it would perhaps have been easy to dismiss them but on the contrary they were engaged in conversation by staff who seemed genuinely concerned that they were having a good time.
We decided to stay at the hotel’s Indigo restaurant for our pre theatre meal and again, service quality and value were outstanding. Yes, spaghetti for the seven year old was probably a mistake but I didn’t meet the laundry staff.
In short the pool is great (under-water piped music is a nice touch), the facilities are great, but really it’s the staff employed at this hotel that make it such a pleasure to stay. If you can pick up a deal great, if not then pay the standard tariff, it’s well worth it!

Room Tip: If you have children ask for interconnecting rooms.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank ivor l
usa
Reviewed 14 October 2012

We had an extraordinary visit to London and a wonderful second stay at One Aldwych last week. The room was very beautiful, impeccably clean, the meals were exceptional, and the staff were unbelievably accommodating and gracious. The lobby lounge was beautiful, Axis restaurant superb, as was Indigo Restaurant. I will only stay at this hotel with every upcoming trip to the UK.

Bravo to One Aldwych!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank karen r
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 October 2012

We always use One Aldwych for pre theatre dinners when attending performances in that area. The staff are friendly and helpful, the atmosphere is welcoming and the food.....an exception.
Have never stayed in a room here (have seen the suites though when a friend stayed here) but it is my ambition to do so one day. We chose cocktails in the spacious and comfortable Lobby bar and always comment on the wonderful and imaginative floral arrangement.
Then it's up to the Mezzanine to the Indigo restaurant. Again you are greeted with a smile by pleasant servers and the menu never disappoints. On our recent visit we had the Gravalax with blinis followed by the delicious pork loin. This comes with the crispiest piece of crackling you'll ever taste. A great cellar of wines to choose from too - we opted for a Chardonnay - slighty oaked and an apple / lemony flavour - ideal with the pork.
Their slogan is "where the City meets the West End" - so true and so appropriate. We'll be back.

Room Tip: Have once seen a suite when a friend stayed here - made my mind up there and then that I wanted to s...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 October 2012

My partner and I had a long week and decided to treat ourselves to a jazz concert and a stay at a luxury hotel. We booked the same evening as we arrived and we didn't get a warm welcome.
I very much agree with reviews on trip advisor where people felt judged by their appearance - that's exactly how we felt! As I said it wasn't planned and we were dressed in a smart casual simple way.

We were asked to pay upfront and put £100 deposit on the account of possible damage we may do to the room. When the check in was completed the receptionist just TOLD US WHERE OUR ROOM WAS and when we looked incredulous asked if we needed to be shown to our room. We had a laptop and couple of other itmes and although we looked tired the receptionist didn't even ask if needed help taking them to the room and we actually had to ask for help!

The sleep wasn't great at all as their Eco plumbing makes the kind of noise that you get on airplanes and you hear it not just when your bathroom is in use but also the one upstairs! Also, you can hear EVERYTHING that goes on in hallways because there is about an inch wide gap between the floor and the door.

The taps although stylish are difficult to identify re hot and cold and the hand held shower hose wouldn't come out of its enclosure despite quite a bit of pulling.

Breakfast was average: pastries terrible and bacon and sausages and preserves are 3 star hotel quality, juices nice. The staff were polite but entirely indifferent.

Overall, you don't leave feeling you have had a super relaxing luxury stay.

I know I may sound grumpy but we stay in top hotels in UK, France, US etc and I am very fortunate to be used to top level comfort, service and food. Sadly, this is not one of them!

Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Andrew G
StefanSoennichsen, General Manager at One Aldwych, responded to this review, 16 October 2012
Dear Andrew G

I am extremely sorry to hear that you were so disappointed with your stay with us and I am keen to look into this matter further.

It is One Aldwych’s policy that all guests are escorted to their rooms upon arrival and I am sorry that this did not happen. It is standard practice in most hotels to take credit card details on arrival for incidentals and I regret that this made you feel uncomfortable.

The plumbing system that we operate here is based on an environmentally friendly water system that uses a vacuum operation rather than gravity. It can produce rather different noises than some hotels, however it is rare that we receive complaints.

With regard to the other points that you raise, I will certainly address these and I hope that you do not mind if I contact you directly to request the details of your booking.

Stefan