“Amazing afternoon tea :)”
Review of One Aldwych

One Aldwych
Ranked #42 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Went for an afternoon tea here for a family treat. The staff were extremely friendly and welcoming and made you feel very at home. One of the family had special dietary needs and the hotel went out of their way to accommodate this. The afternoon tea itself was based on the 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' theme which was delicious with very generous portions compared to other afternoon teas we have had would definitely recommend and can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed: December 2013
KostasSfaltos, General Manager at One Aldwych, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2013

Dear Lyndsey295

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your recent Afternoon Tea at One Aldwych. Thank you for posting your thoughts, we are thrilled to know that you felt so at home during your visit.

We do look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Kostas Sfaltos

Write a ReviewReviews (2,221)

Reviewed 26 December 2013

The One Aldwych was chosen as it is centrally located in London, in Covent Garden, and is part of the Leading Hotels of the World.
It is the first time I experimented a modern decoration luxury hotel and must say that it is a different experience from traditionnally furbished hotels.
The location is conveninent, however although there is a double windows, some rooms (first floor) may be slightly noisy. Rooms at least the 106 is not very large, and to be noticed that for such a category of hotel, there is no much room to store clothes (apart to hang jackets, pants ...etc) for which there is good room. The hotel offers free shoe shine service at any time of the day which is great, all the more in a city, where it can rain!!!
One unpleasant thing to note is the entrance hall, which is also the bar of the hotel, and which is very very noisy in the end of the afternoon and early evening.
Breakfast is without a buffet so you will have to chose from the menu from 18 to 26£ for the continental, high fibres, traditional and one other sort.

Room Tip: avoid the first floor on Aldwych during the week if you want to rest.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo

Dear lukefr965

Thank you for your review of One Aldwych, we were delighted to welcome you and I am pleased to know that you overall enjoyed your visit.

With regard to our guest rooms we have many categories and sizes available which may suit better for a future stay. Please accept our apologies too that our Lobby Bar was rather noisy during your visit, as we currently have larger parties than usual, enjoying the festive season.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to see you again.

Reviewed 20 December 2013

I booked a night in one of the studio suites over a month ago to celebrate my Birthday. I communicated with the hotel via email in advance to ensure that everything was in order and they knew that this was a very special trip. Due to personal circumstances we get one night off a year so it really was important that it was a night to remember. The communication I received prior to arrival was very friendly and efficient. I was delighted when they emailed to offer us an early check-in(subject to availability of course). We arrived at the hotel at 11.30am and asked whether the room was ready. We were told that it was vacant but they weren't sure how long it would take to clean it and when the cleaners would be available. They offered to call me when it was ready. We went for a walk until 1pm when we returned to see if perhaps having had an hour and a half we might be able to utilise the early check in we had been offered. we were told it still wasn't ready. I asked if we could have coffee somewhere and was directed to the lobby bar. As we sat down I remembered there was a guest lounge and asked if we could have coffee there as it might be quieter. When we arrived there a very nice man bought us complimentary tea and coffee and lovely Canele cakes. Not sure why the lady at reception didn't direct us there in the first place. So we waited and at 1.55pm I decided to return to reception as I was tired and wanted to go to the room. The room was ready....five minutes early...still nobody came and told us. Now I fully respect that we weren't entitled to an early check in but they Revenue Manager had offered it to us and the room was vacant. It seems to me that no effort at all went into making it happen for us.

We went to the room (301) which is very spacious and has a lovely view of Waterloo Bridge. Part of the rate that we had booked was to include a bottle of Champagne in the room on arrival. It wasn't there. My partner rang reception to make them aware of the mistake. Nobody came. Two phone calls to reception and a full hour later it finally arrived with apologies. This is just not good enough and added to the feeling that we were not valued customers despite paying for one of their suites.

Let me address the room. The good bits are a lovely large TV and good size seating area. The bed is two single beds wrapped together and very hard. I can credit it with one of the worst nights sleep i've had recently. The 'TV' in the bathroom is a total gimmicky waste of time. It doesn't work and is so minute that even if it did you would be hard pressed to see it from the bathroom. The bathroom didn't smell fresh on arrival at all. Possible the unique flushing system could have a part to play here? At any rate some scented candles or a reed infuser would vastly improve the slightly stale aroma. While we are on the subject of the bathroom I found the flush mechanism no problem except the noise created by it from other rooms. I lost count of how many times i heard the loud whoosh and click of other peoples toilets in the night -it's ok I was awake anyway because the bed was so uncomfortable ;). The 'fresh fruit' in the room was something of a let down. If you look closely at the website photo of said fruit in a studio suite it shows 6 pieces of delicious looking fruit, not two fairly average looking satsumas. There was only one small bottle of mineral water provided in the room. We did query this as I would expect two in a room for two people but were told we could purchase more in the mini bar. There is a nespresso machine in the room. Make sure you rinse the water tray out first as our was full of limescale. One of our allegedly clean coffee cups had mysterious sticky pink liquid inside it. Not very nice. No biscuits provided at all.

We didn't use the gym although it looked very well equipped and quiet. The health club was staffed by a lovely and very helpful lady. There are no private changing rooms for the pool which isn't great. I personally prefer to change alone! The pool is lovely and the music and underwater film projected was really relaxing. We were lucky enough to have it to ourselves for 40 minutes.

We ordered food from room service which was excellent and served promptly by a very nice gentleman. I had the burger and my partner had the caesar salad.

So overall I am very disappointed to give this hotel a mediocre review. I thought I would love it here based on what I had read and the communication prior to arrival. If I have paid over £500 a night for a room I should have nothing but good things to say about it. I wish I had gone elsewhere. When you stay in a five star hotel you expect to be treated well and made to feel special, the little details count and that is what is missing.We were not made to feel like valued customers and that is unacceptable. I feel I wasted my annual night off. Will be looking for somewhere much better next year,shame.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gecko-Toes
KostasSfaltos, General Manager at One Aldwych, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2013

Dear Gecko-Toes

Thank you for writing following your recent stay. It is rare that we receive this sort of feedback and I am truly sorry that your visit was not as you had expected.

I very much wish to address the issues you raise and I hope you don’t mind if I contact you directly. In the meantime my sincere apologies for your disappointing visit.

Reviewed 19 December 2013

I always like to try new places but this hotel far exceeded my expectations for an evening with friends. It had the wow factor from the minute I walked in and the grand ’Charlie and the Chocolate Factory’ inspired Christmas tree in the centre of the lobby bar really added to the occasion. The Indigo restaurant was equally impressive with it’s lovely ambient lighting and intimate yet relaxed feel, I loved the way the restaurant overlooked the lobby bar. The food was exquisite, the portions were surprisingly generous and the service was the right mix of being attentive, informative and friendly. Perfect venue for after work drinks, dinner with family or a date, can’t wait to go back!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Dear victoria s

It was a pleasure to welcome you to One Aldwych and we are delighted to know that you enjoyed your evening in the Lobby Bar and Indigo Restaurant. Thank you for also mentioning our Christmas tree which is this year inspired by the magic of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

We all look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 17 December 2013

I went for the "mad hatters afternoon tea" last week and it was fantastic. The service was great and they made sure all our food came at the right time, and served our hot drinks later so they wouldn't get cold, which was thoughtful. The food was delicious, all the baked goods came warm, the crust and texture to everything was amazing. It was very sweet as you might expect, but we did leave full! I think you do get your monies worth, so if you are considering it- it's a great treat!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Kate B

Thank you for writing a review of our Afternoon Tea, inspired by Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your afternoon at One Aldwych.

We do hope that we will welcome you again soon.

Reviewed 12 December 2013

We had a short stay here and were really impressed with the hotel and service. Our room was attractive and decorated in a modern uncluttered style. We had a fabulous meal in the Axis restaurant and the waiting staff were very attentive. The swimming pool is lovely with a big screen projecting scenes above it. My only quibble; I could not find a socket in the bedroom to plug in the hair dryer and ended up using the one in the changing rooms.
The hotel is right opposite the Novello theatre and we enjoyed going to see Mamma Mia! there. Also, just be aware the prices of the drinks are quite high in the hotel bar - we paid nearly £12 for 2 small bottles of Becks.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Irenejanine
KostasSfaltos, General Manager at One Aldwych, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

Dear Irenejanine

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on One Aldwych. I am delighted to hear that you were impressed with the hotel.

I would like to apologise for the inconvenience regarding your hair dryer, there is in fact a socket within the wardrobe, which was designed to be adjacent to the full length mirror and I am so sorry that this was not pointed out to you. With regard to the pricing in our Lobby Bar, we make regular checks to ensure we remain in line with other 5 star hotels in the local area.

Thank you again for your many positive comments and we do hope to see you again.

Reviewed 9 December 2013

The lobby bar at One Aldwych knocks the spots of most other London cocktail bars I've been to. The drinks are fabulous; the space is lovely; and the tables far enough apart so that you don't have the elbows of people on neighbouring ones knocking the olive across the surface of your dirty Martini. And the home roasted nuts are to die for. The prices are steep but comparable with those in other central London hotels where the drinks and service are likely to be far worse.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ollie B
KostasSfaltos, General Manager at One Aldwych, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2013

Dear Ollie B

Thank you for your terrific review of the Lobby Bar at One Aldwych. I agree that the double height space of the Lobby Bar makes for a stunning setting and I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your evening.

We do hope you will visit again soon.