“One Aldwych not one of the best "LHW" I've stayed in!”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of One Aldwych

One Aldwych
Ranked #40 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Zurich, Switzerland
“One Aldwych not one of the best "LHW" I've stayed in!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

When booking four nights online direct with "One Aldwych" I opted for the upgrade from Excecutive to Deluxe Room. Upon Check-in no one mentioned anything concering any upgrade, even though Deluxe Rooms were available!!
We were then given room 421, which must of been the smallest Excecutive Room in the Hotel. The room measured 4 x 5 meters exclusive of small bathroom and corridor. (according to website: Dimensions: 24-27 square metres/258-291 square feet (size). The luggage arrived in the room the bellboy took the 5£ tip and left. I had to ring reception to find out where the safe was, no mention of free shoeshine etc. Well I suppose they thought we could read.
We were also asked which newspaper we would like in the morning. I always like to read the newspaper before the start of my day in bed. The newspaper never arrived in the morning, only after the room had been made was the newspaper in the room. We like to put our toiletries in the bathroom where we feel we want them. Every single day the room maid had moved everthything (all our toiletries) we had arranged to a place behind the bath! In the end we gave up rearranging and obeyed the roommaids adjustments.
I also expect blackout curtains from a 5 * Hotel in the room, they were two pulldown blinds!
On the fouth and last night of our stay no turndown for the night which also meant no water for the night! My wife was Executive Housekeeper in a 5 * Hotel in Zurich, so in the end she did the turndown.
I did like the complimentary WIFI.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
KostasSfaltos, General Manager at One Aldwych, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Dear rister

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay. I am sorry to hear that your visit was not the flawless experienced that you had expected.

With regard to your booking, we were aware of your request to consider an upgrade at check-in, however unfortunately we did not have a Deluxe Room available throughout the duration of your stay. I am so sorry that this was not clarified and discussed with you as it should have been, together with other options of rooms available.

It is also our usual procedure to accompany you to your room on arrival, in order to explain our facilities, including our shoe shine, the location of our safe and our newspaper delivery box, located outside your door. Please accept my sincere apologies that this did not happen and I have since addressed this matter and all other points raised with the teams concerned.

I very much regret your understandable disappointment and I do hope that we have the opportunity to make amends and welcome you again. Should you ever consider a future booking, please do contact me directly and I will be pleased to look after all arrangements personally.

Kostas Sfaltos

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Hebrew first
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

Went for the "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" Afternoon tea as a special treat. Wonderful experience. Hotel was lovely, very comfortable, relaxed atmosphere. Staff were lovely and attentive. Food was awesome. Looked amazing and tasted just as good. I couldn't fault anything. Would love to go back again!

Dear HappyHops

We very much appreciate your posting a review of your Afternoon Tea experience and are thrilled to read such positive comments. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back again.

Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

I just loved my one night stay here in October.
Really outstanding hotels seem hard to find in London but this one had everything:
great location, warm and professional service plus great rooms and amenities.
My room had a great view of the river (which enticed me to go for a morning run along the same).
I must also comment on the outstanding breakfast- no second-rate buffet spread here but rather a delightful a la carte menu (homemade porridge with berries, really good coffee...you get the idea).
The best thing about it though was the private 'guest lounge' hidden away on the ground floor. This was a great place to work or relax (or in the case of the film Director who was in there at the same time as me- be interviewed by The Guardian!).

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Dear ulyssesonline

It was a pleasure to welcome you to One Aldwych and thank you for sharing your positive review. We do appreciate your kind words and are especially pleased that you enjoyed our private guest-only lounge.

I do hope that we will see you again soon.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

Spent 4 days over Christmas, and I must say One Aldwych was excellent....although the rooms are not huge ( unless you book a suite, I guess), they are well equipped and comfortable. Outlets are great, with a really good health club (fantastic gym to be a Hotel), and busy bar. However, in my opinion what makes the difference is the service....all staff is well trained, polite, efficient but I honestly would like to mention the Concierge and reception services for their kindness and assistance. Will be back when in London. Thank you One Aldwych

ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

Just back from a two day 'twixtmas' break with my sister. Have stayed on a few occasions before and returned because of previous good experiences. We had a wonderful room with windows on two sides on the 4th floor overlooking the Lyceum Theatre. Beds were beautifully comfortable with Frette linens, quality bathroom amenities and fresh flowers. We had a couple of little hiccups (couldn't get the room warm enough but they quickly rectified that) and we accidentally switched on the Do Not Disturb button so when we returned at the end of the day the room wasn't serviced. Housekeeping left a note offering to service at any time and reception had emailed me with the same offer. All the staff we met were super friendly and efficient. Highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2013
KostasSfaltos, General Manager at One Aldwych, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
Dear clontarf

Thank you for returning to One Aldwych, we were delighted to welcome you back. We very much appreciate your recommendation and also your comments regarding our friendly and efficient team.

We hope to see you again soon.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

Went for an afternoon tea here for a family treat. The staff were extremely friendly and welcoming and made you feel very at home. One of the family had special dietary needs and the hotel went out of their way to accommodate this. The afternoon tea itself was based on the 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' theme which was delicious with very generous portions compared to other afternoon teas we have had would definitely recommend and can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed December 2013
Dear Lyndsey295

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your recent Afternoon Tea at One Aldwych. Thank you for posting your thoughts, we are thrilled to know that you felt so at home during your visit.

We do look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Paris, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

The One Aldwych was chosen as it is centrally located in London, in Covent Garden, and is part of the Leading Hotels of the World.
It is the first time I experimented a modern decoration luxury hotel and must say that it is a different experience from traditionnally furbished hotels.
The location is conveninent, however although there is a double windows, some rooms (first floor) may be slightly noisy. Rooms at least the 106 is not very large, and to be noticed that for such a category of hotel, there is no much room to store clothes (apart to hang jackets, pants ...etc) for which there is good room. The hotel offers free shoe shine service at any time of the day which is great, all the more in a city, where it can rain!!!
One unpleasant thing to note is the entrance hall, which is also the bar of the hotel, and which is very very noisy in the end of the afternoon and early evening.
Breakfast is without a buffet so you will have to chose from the menu from 18 to 26£ for the continental, high fibres, traditional and one other sort.

Room Tip: avoid the first floor on Aldwych during the week if you want to rest.