“Disappointing”

Ranked #39 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Monte-Carlo, Monaco
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Stayed here three nights as a treat to ourselves between family visits over Christmas and new year and I have to say I was disappointed. I thought our room, even by London standards, was very small. So small we couldn't open both suitcases at the same time and certainly couldn't dream of ordering room service, even for breakfast. There was nowhere for the tray or trolley to go.
There were just two tiny shelves in the wardrobe, the rest of the space being taken by the mini bar, glasses and so on, and one of the bedside tables was taken up by a huge telephone - does anyone use those any longer?
The bathroom went some way to making up for the bedroom, where there was plenty of space for our toiletries, though using the shower was a challenge as the head was fixed high up and if you don't want to wash your hair, what do you do?
Plus one of the reasons we chose One Aldwych was to eat at Axis and guess what, it was closed the whole time we were there.
The standout feature of our stay was the toiletries from Plantation - but that was an awful lot of money to spend on a nice bar of soap and some body lotion...

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
KostasSfaltos, General Manager at One Aldwych, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Dear Moth

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay at One Aldwych,

I am extremely sorry that we did not meet your expectations on this visit. With regard to our guest rooms we have many categories and sizes available which may suit better for a future stay.
I also apologise that you were unable to experience Axis Restaurant, which is open on Christmas Day and New Year’s Eve only during the holiday period. I regret that this was not mentioned to you at the time of booking and I hope that you were able to enjoy our Indigo Restaurant as an alternative.

Thank you again for your comments and should you consider a future visit please do not hesitate to contact me personally.

Kostas Sfaltos

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Hebrew first
Weston-super-Mare, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 January 2014

One Alwych is a superb hotel. The decor is fabulous, rooms prisitine and service excellent, especially at reception and the concierge. The hotel has wonderful facilities with full gym, swimming pool and steam room, good bar and quiet area for residents only. Yet all of this is only 2 minutes from Covent Garden and all the theatres of the West End.
This is our favourite hotel in London and we can't wait for our next visit.

Room Tip: Worth paying extra for an executive room
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sharon B
Dear Sharon B

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive review of One Aldwych. I am thrilled that we are your favoured hotel in London and I very much appreciate your feedback on our service and facilities.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Uk
Reviewed 15 January 2014

OK, lets start by saying I got an upgrade…that’s helps right away! Thank you One Aldwych, a lovely room with fantastic views for the London night.
I couldn’t open the door to the suite so had to go back down to the lobby as there was no phone, or at least I couldn’t find a phone by the elevators. The lady at reception knew straight away what the problem was so I suspect it was not a new issue. Once in, wow, what a lovely room. I wish I had the hubby with me to enjoy it. I was literally there for 9 hours! I had a lovely sleep although the air con was not the best. It didn’t really cool the room and there was a slight humming noise from somewhere, but I do generally tend to tune into those types of noises. Needless to say, the bed was fantastic and the pillows perfect for me. A nice overnight stay, felt very safe as a lone lady traveller. I also liked that reception was discrete advising room number when two men were standing behind me (they were not with me I hasten to add!)

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Chappells
KostasSfaltos, General Manager at One Aldwych, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Dear Chappells

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of One Aldwych. We are delighted that you enjoyed your suite and views over London. I do appreciate your feedback and it would be a pleasure to welcome you again.

Eu, France
Reviewed 14 January 2014

It has been praised to me by locals but I was disappointed. The room was very small, the lobby was not extraordinary, but nothing bad, the concierge city directions approximate. But the personnel is nice and willing to help. The tea in the lobby is recommendable.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Valentin M
Dear Valentin M

Thank you for writing regarding your recent visit, we do appreciate your feedback and I am sorry to hear of your disappointment. With regard to our rooms, we have many categories available and I would be pleased to discuss some alternative larger rooms should you consider a future visit. I will also address your comments with regard to directions given.

I would like to thank you for mentioning our helpful team and our afternoon tea.
We hope that we will have the opportunity to see you again.

Essex UK
Reviewed 13 January 2014

It was our first time staying overnight in London. Perfect location. Staff extremely polite, professional, friendly and helpful from stepping through the door to departure. Luxurious linens, toiletries etc. Everything was immaculate and clean. Breakfast was excellent, plenty of choice and again staff very polite and helpful. Barely heard a sound from outside considering the busy location.
Only downside was we didn't have enough time to enjoy the rest of the facilities the hotel had on offer so we will have to return! It was thoroughly enjoyable.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jackiewhiteman
Dear Mrs Whiteman

Thank you for posting a review following your recent visit to One Aldwych. I am very pleased to hear that your first London stay was such a success and we do hope that you will have the opportunity to return.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed two nights on business. I found the hotel to be good and convenient, though not a "grand hotel". Room was modern and quiet, though I found the bathroom modest sized. Comfortable bed. The gym is ok but could use a bit of an upgrade. I ate three meals at the hotel (1 at the bar and 2 at Indigo). The food was delicious and the staff was terrific. I arrived late in the eve and appreciated their willingness to prepare a light meal not on the bar menu. At every encounter I found the staff eager to be helpful.

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Dear Hkdad3

Thank you for writing following your recent visit to One Aldwych. I very much appreciate your feedback and I am pleased to hear that our team were so helpful throughout your stay. We do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again.

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Stayed here for New Years Eve Fireworks for one night. Used the lobby bar tate dinner in he Axis restaurant and had breakfast in the other rstaurant overlooking the lobby bar but didnt use the pool facilities. Location right by Waterloo Bridge easy access to theatre zone, Covent Garden and the Strand and no more than five minute walk to two tube stations in opposite directions. Woud have been perfect for Waterloo Bridge fireworks viewing but the crowds built up really early so we had to make our way to Temple Tube area to view from there. We went to an afternoon matinee of the Bodyguard about 100 metres away and looked out at the theatre perfoming Lion King when we had breakfast. On arrival at the hotel pleasant welcome by concierge and the hotel had a good overall modern relaxing feel. Check in was painless and our room was really nice and although located alongside a busy street the thick curtains and really comfortable beds and pillows enabled us to get a good night sleep. The main bar is a good size and had a great xmas tree in the middle and some interesting art/statues. it was reasonably busy with afternoon tea when we arrived and later in the evening before and after celbrations so good atmosphere without being boisterous. We ate a set new year taster menu in the Axis and got great service and good value food. Breakfast ihe following morning was alos high standard very tasty. We researched the hotel photis etc in advance and got no suprises All in all great hotel delivered all we expected. My wife says she would definitely return if she wanted to stay in this area.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear mkdon5

Thank you for choosing One Aldwych for your New Year’s celebrations. We are delighted that you had the opportunity to enjoy the atmosphere in our local area and made the most of Covent Garden’s Theatreland. We appreciate your positive feedback and hope to see you again on a future visit.