“Fantastic afternoon tea!!”

Ranked #40 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Crawley
“Fantastic afternoon tea!!”
Reviewed 31 January 2014 via mobile

Had the pleasure of enjoying the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Afternoon tea last week. It was worth every penny. The service was great, staff were attentive and friendly. The food was amazing, we were offered a top up of sandwiches and pastries which we gladly accepted and all for no extra charge. The desserts were superb!! My friend and I had huge smiles on our faces for the whole experience and would recommend it to anyone.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kay P
KostasSfaltos, General Manager at One Aldwych, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Dear Kay P

It is a pleasure to read your lovely review of our Afternoon Tea and thank you so much for taking the time to write.

I will be delighted to pass on your comments to all our Lobby Bar and kitchen team. Thank you very much for your recommendation and we hope that we will welcome you again soon.

Kostas Sfaltos

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Hebrew first
Aberdeen, Scotland
Reviewed 30 January 2014

So many hotels barely acknowledge repeat guests - One Aldwych is the opposite. The staff remember you extremely well and treat you superbly. Little things make all the difference, and One Aldwych does pay attention to the details. Door and porter staff seem to have really upped their game too and very impressive to see them watching for taxis pulling up outside and running out with umbrellas to keep their guests dry.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Dear Ian-Mc-SOR

It was a pleasure to welcome you back to One Aldwych and thank you sincerely for your super review.

We greatly value our many regular guests and I am so pleased that this is always displayed to you by our team. Thank you in particular for your comments on our Door and porter colleagues, whom I know will be thrilled to read your feedback.

We look forward to seeing you again soon

Amersham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Whilst we did not have the pleasure of an overnight stay, I have visited the lobby bar several times and had the pleasure of experiencing the Charlie & The Chocolate Factory themed afternoon tea earlier this week. This was a celebration for one of my daughter's graduation and we spent over 2 hours experiencing the food and enjoying cocktails and champagne. My only small criticism would be that (compared to other London hotel teas) the sandwich selection was not very imaginative, rather lacked flavour (apart from the delicious salmon) and the bread was a little dry. The sweet selection and presentation however was simply stunning and I would say, the candy floss, chocolate eggs and chocolate milk really special.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank BB2511
Dear BB2511

Thank you for your review following your recent visit to One Aldwych for Afternoon Tea.

I am pleased to hear that you and your granddaughter enjoyed your special celebration and I very much appreciate all your comments. My apologies that there were some aspects that were not to our usual standards and I will certainly discuss these with our kitchen team.

Thank you once again and I do hope that we will welcome you back, either to the Lobby Bar, or if an opportunity allows, for an overnight stay.

Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

Came for drinks in the lobby bar, the cocktails were wonderful with a great selection to choose from. We were seen to immediately and told to wait at the bar until a table was free, which was only a few minutes wait. Will definitely be back, hopefully for dinner.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
KostasSfaltos, General Manager at One Aldwych, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Dear Simon S

Thank you for your great review of the Lobby Bar at One Aldwych. It would be a pleasure to welcome you to One Aldwych again soon and I do hope that you have the opportunity to enjoy dinner with us on your next visit.

Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2014

I stayed here for 5 nights for my Birthday and loved the Hotel, I stayed in an Aldwych (standard) room. I was very spoilt, given a complementary bottle of Champagne and birthday cake, then a couple of days later a bottle of red and nibbles and then chocolates. There is always some fruit in the room and the flowers in the hotel are stunning. The Wi-Fi is easy to use and didn't cut out during my stay and is included. The pool is a good size and there is a sauna and steam room. I enjoyed the bar, it had a great atmosphere and the afternoon tea looked amazing, I saw it after having had Sunday lunch, so unfortunately did not try but definitely next time (I don't normally do afternoon tea). The location is ideal for the theatre and Covent garden which has great restaurants. The river Thames is very close by, Waterloo bridge is across the Strand from the hotel which takes you to the South bank. What I liked most about the hotel were the staff, everyone was very friendly and helpful especially at breakfast and in the bar. Housekeeping were very thoughtful, they gave me a plastic bag for my liquids for security at the airport and were not mean, with bottled water, toiletries or towels, (I often have a room to myself when I travel and some hotels I have stayed in halve everything, even when the room price is the same for 2 people as for 1). One Aldwych is the 6th five star London hotel that I have stayed in over the past year and is my favourite.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Dear Harriet R

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at One Aldwych. We are delighted that you enjoyed your birthday with us and I very much appreciate your super comments regarding our friendly service, facilities and ideal location in Covent Garden. We are very happy that we are now your favourite five star hotel in London and we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed 23 January 2014

My friend and I stayed at One Aldwych for 4 nights in January. It was more expensive than I usually allow myself, but I was sharing and we decided to treat ourselves. We were basically visiting London and Stratford Upon Avon on a "Play Blitzkrieg" vacation...9 plays in 8 days altogether. The Aldwych was an ideal location for our program. A few minutes away from fun restaurants and several of the plays we were seeing; walk across the Waterloo Bridge and we arrived at the National Theatre, walking down by the river to the Globe and the Wanamaker. We visited Hampton Court Palace, walking over to Waterloo Station and taking the train, we walked to Westminster Abbey, and the British Museum....for us the most ideal location in London. Our room was very comfortable, the staff were welcoming and attentive, helping with doors, suitcases, and advice. I especially compliment Alan the concierge who was really helpful with advice about best walking routes and general information. We splurged on fancy cocktails in the very comfortable lounge after plays and really enjoyed them. I used the beautiful swimming pool early in the morning and loved the experience, We loved little touches like cards left for us every evening about the weather forecast for the following day. I wondered before if I might feel a bit intimidated at the hotel...but no, it was very welcoming and comfortable. For the rest of our trip we sighed when we remembered our stay there! Thanks to all the staff and it was a really enjoyable stay in London. And a shout out to David Tennant, Simon Russell Beale, and Jude Law who shared Shakespeare with us. The new Wanamaker Theatre at the Globe is a jewel.
All our theatre was superb. London is wonderful, and so is One Aldwych.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Susan Z

Thank you for your lovely review of One Aldwych. I am delighted that you found our location in the heart of Theatreland ideal for your busy schedule. Thank you also for your kind feedback regarding our colleagues and especially Alan and his Concierge team. We hope that we will see you again on a future London visit.

Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Stayed here three nights as a treat to ourselves between family visits over Christmas and new year and I have to say I was disappointed. I thought our room, even by London standards, was very small. So small we couldn't open both suitcases at the same time and certainly couldn't dream of ordering room service, even for breakfast. There was nowhere for the tray or trolley to go.
There were just two tiny shelves in the wardrobe, the rest of the space being taken by the mini bar, glasses and so on, and one of the bedside tables was taken up by a huge telephone - does anyone use those any longer?
The bathroom went some way to making up for the bedroom, where there was plenty of space for our toiletries, though using the shower was a challenge as the head was fixed high up and if you don't want to wash your hair, what do you do?
Plus one of the reasons we chose One Aldwych was to eat at Axis and guess what, it was closed the whole time we were there.
The standout feature of our stay was the toiletries from Plantation - but that was an awful lot of money to spend on a nice bar of soap and some body lotion...

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Moth

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay at One Aldwych,

I am extremely sorry that we did not meet your expectations on this visit. With regard to our guest rooms we have many categories and sizes available which may suit better for a future stay.
I also apologise that you were unable to experience Axis Restaurant, which is open on Christmas Day and New Year’s Eve only during the holiday period. I regret that this was not mentioned to you at the time of booking and I hope that you were able to enjoy our Indigo Restaurant as an alternative.

Thank you again for your comments and should you consider a future visit please do not hesitate to contact me personally.