Florence Nightingale Museum

from US$84.08
More Info
from US$46.11
More Info
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 29 July 2017

I was inspired to become a nurse after reading a book about Florence Nightingale when I was child; I've now been qualified for 25 years and feel privileged to be able to do a job that I love. I therefore couldn't pass up on the opportunity to visit the museum dedicated to her memory, in the grounds of St Thomas' Hospital where she established the worlds first nursing school just over 150 years ago.

The museum is small, but provides a very detailed over view of her life and work. It is divided into 3 separate areas, covering her early life and her parents reluctance to let her train as a nurse, her role in the Crimean War and her life after the war and how she spent the rest of her life educating nurses and promoting nursing as a profession.

It felt very surreal to see one of the lamps that she'd carried on her ward rounds that earned her the nickname of 'The Lady with the Lamp' after being immortalised in the Longfellow poem Santa Filomena. It was also remarkable to be able to hear her voice in a phonograph recording.

After discovering that Florence had a love of travel and cats and was known to be a grumpy in her old age, I realised that we had more in common than I thought and I was obviously destined to be a nurse!

1  Thank Jellybellydancer
Reviewed 25 July 2017 via mobile

Amongst the hustle and bustle of st Thomas hospital and a depressing dingey car park is the lovely enlightening "little" museum. Pretty much in one room with 4 areas to cover.

£7.50 adult price - but dear but I thought worth it as it's a lovely calm place , perhaps as I went on a tues morning

The holes the wall are video footage

Tell story of whole of Florence life

Includes mary sea coke and Edith carvel

Below some pics

I really enjoyed it

I was done in 1 hour and that was very leisurely

Also could pop to st Thomas hospital for lunch breakie or dinner- go to shepherds hall value hot food

Enjoy

Reviewed 24 July 2017 via mobile

I have been qualified since 1991 and have wanted to visit for a while. Such a good trip down memory lane. One big room that flows well. So much history. Interactive as well so suits all ages. I met two retired nurses of age 80+ who pop in when they're out for a stroll and enjoy talking to the nurses of today. Recommended :)

Date of experience: March 2017
Reviewed 17 July 2017

Florence Nightingale's museum is tucked away (but well signposted) in St Thomas's hospital in London. It's a short walk from Waterloo station. Small and a bit gloomy inside, it is built around three themes - her early family life and call to nursing, her work in the Crimea nursing wounded soldiers, and her later life back in the UK. We spent an hour there watching a part of the film that plays and reading the recently upgraded information panels. There are some interesting objects - like her actual lamp, her medicine kit and pottery statues made of her as souvenirs for Victorian homes! We learned a lot about Florence - how she hated publicity and photographs, how in later life illness made her bad tempered, and how she lived 90 years until 1910. She was also a prolific campaigner and author. Most moving were cards written by modern trainee nurses who were inspired by her example. I found those very touching and moving.

Reviewed 15 July 2017 via mobile

Museum covers Nightingale's early life, her time in the Crimea, and her later life, including how she worked to make nursing a scientific and honorable profession. Takes about an hour or two depending on how in depth you want to go. Very much worth the small entrance fee.