“Strong performance”

and up
Phantom of the Opera Theater Show
Ranked #5 of 358 Concerts & Shows in London
More attraction details
Owner description: Far beneath the majesty and splendor of the Paris Opera House, hides the Phantom in a shadowy existence. Shamed by his physical appearance and feared by all, the love he holds for his beautiful protegee Christine Daae is so strong that even her heart cannot resist. The musical opened at Her Majesty's Theatre on 9 October 1986 with Michael Crawford and Sarah Brightman in the leading roles, and there have been dozens of productions worldwide since then. Now in its 26th record-breaking year, The Phantom of the Opera continues to captivate audiences at Her Majesty's Theatre in London's West End, after more than 10,000 performances. Andrew Lloyd Webber's mesmerizing score along with jaw-dropping scenery and breathtaking special effects, magically combine to bring this tragic love story to life each night.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Stairs / lift
Reviewed 2 September 2011

We got reasonable stall seats and decided to give it a try. Considering I previously seen the Broadway production before but my wife and mother in law never seen it before it was worth effort.

There were no problems during the performance, I only found the Broadway production villain actor to be of a stronger vocal power back when I attended.

Reviewed 28 August 2011

I have seen the Phantom 5 times the first time was 24 years ago when it was the original cast. Yes I am showing my age!!!
However on this occasion I really wanted to share the experience with my husband, who is a manager in a collage for performing Arts and music, he had never seen it so for his birthday I bought two tickets £124 for the stalls, we had very good seats and have been looking forward to the show since February. I realise that the theatre is now a money making circus these days, however I never would have expected to have seen so many small children in an evening performance of this show, clearly I do not think the show is suitable for young ones, it has scenes and images in it that I would not want small ones to witness, (i.e) the hanging image for example and the coffin scene, its very dark and on some occassions scary for young tots. It seemed that when ever there was a quiet moment in the story or the singing paused, it gave rise for the young ones to be bored, and talk and fidget.......It spoiled the atmosphere for me. Having experienced the show previously with an adult audience who actually wanted to enjoy every note and every move the actors made and hang on every word I know the difference, and I know which is the best, clearly £124 is nothing to the money makers but it is a lot of money to me!!! and when I do spend this amount I hope to be able to enjoy it. Please be warned that, if you are an older generation like me and you expect the audience to be respectful then get ready... as if the auditorium is full of youngsters again try not to be shocked when they talk and sing through everything and rattle sweet papers. The show is brilliant, it it the management that need to be told about who buys tickets!! however they do not care.

3  Thank toffeeyface
Reviewed 25 August 2011

I just love Phantom of the Opera and this time I saw it here in London. I had booked tickets in advance and me and my son were exited, it was so so good.
The next day we wanted to go to another musical but my son asked if we couldn't go to Phantom again and I managed to get tickets, even better ones this time, and the musical was even better the second day.
I love the music, the scenery and all about this musical. So if you are in London, don't hesitate but go especially next year when the 25th year jubilee is. I'm going then too!

2  Thank emtes54
Reviewed 24 August 2011

I always wanted to see the Phantom of the Opera and picked up tickets on last minute.com which were still expensive. We were sitting in the stalls in the back row but they were great seats and we could see everything. I really loved the amazing sets especially the scene on the roof with all the twinkling lights, the attic scene with all the candles and the scene across the water. Apart from the wonderful main songs and beautiful voices, I thought the plot was a little lacking and just lacked the WOW factor for me. I would definetly rate Les Miserables above this show .

1  Thank havetofly
Reviewed 22 August 2011

No-one should miss this show. It is the fourth time we've seen it but it is as magical and fresh as the first time. John Owen-Jones is a phenomenal Phantom. Although we were 'up in the Gods' our view was fantastic for the chandelier effects. If you can get the £20 tickets for the front row of the grand circle like us you'll have grabbed a bargain.

3  Thank London_UKStephen