“THe best clothes my wife has ever bought”
Review of Maribou - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Maribou
More attraction details
Owner description: Purchase ladies fashions at this popular wholesale store.
London, England, United Kingdom
“THe best clothes my wife has ever bought”
Reviewed 11 May 2012

If you don't get the owner's sense of humour, that's your own lookout. But the clothes are amazing, they last and my wife gets compliments and is asked where she got her coat all the time. People come up to her in the street to ask. We always tell them, Maribou in Notting Hill.

If you are American though, pretend to be Canadian. It's easier that way.

Visited December 2011

Newman Lake, Washington
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Fantabulously Fashionable”
Reviewed 24 November 2010

The Fashion Sirens and hot pink store front beckoned me to this one of a kind shop and I was anything but disappointed. The handmade clothing is what any fashionista needs in her closet. Ginny, the owner/designer is as fabulous as her one of a kind creations. Any of Maribou's pieces will take your closet from drab to fab. If you love fashion and you're in the London area, this is a MUST SEE STORE. Can't wait to visit again in the Spring.

littlemissellyme
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Respect this boutique for what it is. Fabulous and unique.”
Reviewed 3 February 2010

Having just bought two items over the years from this shop I felt compelled to write a review after reading the negative responses on here. Firstly it is a different experience to your average, 'the customer is always right' store. The owner is bonkers, but is friendly and such an eccentric delight if you are respectful to her and what she creates. A bit like entering a strangers home, would you go into a hand-made eccentric boutique, where it is just you and the owner, on a mobile phone?! It just lacks a bit of understanding of the situation.
Similarly having worked in a few boutiques in London, returns policy are always a tricky area. Boutiques are always under immense pressure to get cash in the till, and is kinda common knowledge of the no refunds policy. I suspect if you spent so long in the store, then returning something goes against deep rooted ways of how to run a business for this eccentric lady-putting you, I agree irrationally, on the wrong side of her.

I hope this puts the bad reviews in a different perspective. Variety is the spice of life and perhaps cultures are more different than you think, despite the common language. I just love the whole unique philosophy of the shop, it showcases pure originality and requires an ability to understand it, too enjoy it as much as I did. The gorgeous clothes are a mixture of fabulously garish colour combinations mixed with traditional Victorian-esque velvet coats.

1 Thank littlemissellyme
Santa Clara
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Fun and quirky- nice to Americans with manners”
Reviewed 20 December 2009

I stopped into Maribou in full tourist scrubby clothes with an equally scrubby boyfriend. I fell in love with the handmade dresses their and enjoyed talking with a very quirky older woman who owned the store. She was very funny and not afraid to say what she thought. I felt no pressure to buy a dress that was about $300 US dollars but she was very helpful in showing me how to get it on and tied right "so my knickers wouldn't show". She was very nice to us both so I am sure she is not rude to all Americans, just ones who are not courteous. She did use interesting terms that one might not hear in the states, but that is apart of the fun of traveling and meeting different people. Many people consider talking on cell phones in small places rude, and I can see their point. Also not every country has the "customer is always right" idea of service, so maybe we should be more respectful when visiting stores in other countries. Great shop, I hope to go back one day, and yes I did go back and purchase that dress and it is still in my closet loved just as much three years later. I highly recommend this store but save up before you go and remember to be respectful and remember your manners.

2 Thank cerawac
roma
“Wonderful Shop in Notting Hill”
Reviewed 8 August 2009

I bought a dress for 40 pounds and two strange hats for 30 a couple. All the clothes are handmade by the owner which is extroverted, kind but a bit weird. I heard from her that if the clothes don't fit your suitcase, she can send them wherever you want for free. I really enjoyed this shop. Hope to come back soon :)