“Fantabulously Fashionable”

Got a photo?
Add it.
Maribou
More attraction details
Owner description: Purchase ladies fashions at this popular wholesale store.
Reviewed 24 November 2010

The Fashion Sirens and hot pink store front beckoned me to this one of a kind shop and I was anything but disappointed. The handmade clothing is what any fashionista needs in her closet. Ginny, the owner/designer is as fabulous as her one of a kind creations. Any of Maribou's pieces will take your closet from drab to fab. If you love fashion and you're in the London area, this is a MUST SEE STORE. Can't wait to visit again in the Spring.

Reviewed 3 February 2010

Having just bought two items over the years from this shop I felt compelled to write a review after reading the negative responses on here. Firstly it is a different experience to your average, 'the customer is always right' store. The owner is bonkers, but is friendly and such an eccentric delight if you are respectful to her and what she creates. A bit like entering a strangers home, would you go into a hand-made eccentric boutique, where it is just you and the owner, on a mobile phone?! It just lacks a bit of understanding of the situation.
Similarly having worked in a few boutiques in London, returns policy are always a tricky area. Boutiques are always under immense pressure to get cash in the till, and is kinda common knowledge of the no refunds policy. I suspect if you spent so long in the store, then returning something goes against deep rooted ways of how to run a business for this eccentric lady-putting you, I agree irrationally, on the wrong side of her.

I hope this puts the bad reviews in a different perspective. Variety is the spice of life and perhaps cultures are more different than you think, despite the common language. I just love the whole unique philosophy of the shop, it showcases pure originality and requires an ability to understand it, too enjoy it as much as I did. The gorgeous clothes are a mixture of fabulously garish colour combinations mixed with traditional Victorian-esque velvet coats.

1  Thank littlemissellyme
Reviewed 20 December 2009

I stopped into Maribou in full tourist scrubby clothes with an equally scrubby boyfriend. I fell in love with the handmade dresses their and enjoyed talking with a very quirky older woman who owned the store. She was very funny and not afraid to say what she thought. I felt no pressure to buy a dress that was about $300 US dollars but she was very helpful in showing me how to get it on and tied right "so my knickers wouldn't show". She was very nice to us both so I am sure she is not rude to all Americans, just ones who are not courteous. She did use interesting terms that one might not hear in the states, but that is apart of the fun of traveling and meeting different people. Many people consider talking on cell phones in small places rude, and I can see their point. Also not every country has the "customer is always right" idea of service, so maybe we should be more respectful when visiting stores in other countries. Great shop, I hope to go back one day, and yes I did go back and purchase that dress and it is still in my closet loved just as much three years later. I highly recommend this store but save up before you go and remember to be respectful and remember your manners.

2  Thank cerawac
Reviewed 8 August 2009

I bought a dress for 40 pounds and two strange hats for 30 a couple. All the clothes are handmade by the owner which is extroverted, kind but a bit weird. I heard from her that if the clothes don't fit your suitcase, she can send them wherever you want for free. I really enjoyed this shop. Hope to come back soon :)

Reviewed 7 September 2008

I visited this store yesterday and have never been so humiliated in my life. I did give her a piece of my mind but have decided to lodge a complaint or do something about this very rude, extremely obnoxious lady at the store who has no reservations from making insulting remarks around race, upbringing and has the cheek to shoo customers away from her store as if we were beggars or dogs.

Here's my story. I entered her store since it was open. I was on the cell phone with my husband while i entered the store and started browsing through the stuff on the rack. Suddenly i heard someone shouting at me. I turned back and the owner of this store was saying this to me at the top of her voice " THIS IS NOT A PLACE TO SOCIALIZE. GET OUT OF MY STORE AND GO DO YOUR THING ON THE STREET" I was completely appalled and was like " how can you talk to me like this" ... On this she continued to Shoo me away with her fingers pointing to the door at this point started making racial comments like " If you were English you would have some manners. We have manners here. Where you come from they must not teach you this. She called me a b**tc** American. I stayed in the store and demanded to call the police. On this she called a big tall man, they shut the door of the store and tried to intimidate me. She also pushed me to make me leave the store.

I am completely appalled by this experience. The owner here is making racial slurs and humiliating anyone she wants. In my case she also pushed me. We need to expose her and I am not comfortable leaving this incident without doing anything.

If anyone has been insulted by this woman, please get in touch with me. We can file a complaint together.

Portebella road, where her shop is, is one of the most touristy markets in London and she seems to be humiliating non English people there all the time.

Please email me back at mishtut@yahoo.com and we can communicate around this.

I'm an Ivy league graduate from University of Pennsylvania and a good citizen of where ever I travel. I will not let this completely obnoxious woman get away with this just because she thinks she can.

8  Thank mishtu53