“It is okay!”

COMO Metropolitan London
Ranked #57 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed 20 May 2014

My husband and I stayed over night at this hotel and we booked through 'last minute.com' and we were lucky enough to get a 47% discount because it was a 'secret hotel' deal. Upon arrival, we found the hotel lobby to be modern and be minimalist appearance wise. The staff were friendly, however they did not have our reservation in the system, we were not worried because the staff quickly made us a new booking and while we waited a few minutes, we were given face cloths to freshen up with that had been infused with eucalyptus and peppermint oil, which I found refreshing and wonderful (I ended up buying a bottle of the oil because, it was so great!). Our room was clean but far too plain for my taste, however I do not have a complaint, because of how I booked and because I think that for a millennial, this kind of room would be perfect and I cannot complain about my view of buildings etc because I didn't pay for a park view. Room service food was average, but I suspect that if we had ordered asian cuisine, it would have been been better given the fact that 'Nobu' restaurant is integrated with the Hotel, but nothing was bad just lacking and not quite on par with quality. The bathroom products were lovely and I feel are on par with five star standards. On check out the staff were professional and friendly once more. In summary, I am more of a Hilton on Park lane,The Royal Horseguards, Claridges or Ritz girl and judging this hotel by 5 star standing, I would give it a 4 star rating based upon the minimalist ambiance of the hotel and the plain wooden furnishings and purple carpet in the rooms. The food wasn't on par and if I had been paying full price and had picked this hotel, I would feel cheated, because when staying in Mayfair and paying Mayfair prices, I expect 5 star luxury and this hotel certainly doesn't provide that for me. The staff were great though and the Como Shambala range of oils and toiletries are wonderful and I will continue to purchase them. I would recommend this hotel to a millenial that may appreciate minimal modern furnishings.

1  Thank lilmisskaty
AndrewDThomson, Manager at COMO Metropolitan London, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Thank you very much indeed for your comments following your recent stay at the Metropolitan by COMO. I am very pleased to hear your comments about the service you received at the hotel and that you also liked our COMO Shambhala guest toiletries and oils.

I am, however, sorry to hear that you were disappointed with certain elements of the design of our rooms and that there was an issue upon your arrival. I remain at your disposal should you wish to discuss this further.

Your recommendation is very much appreciated. Please do let me know when you are next planning a London visit as I would be delighted to look after your booking myself and ensure that your stay is memorable for all the right reasons.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

I stayed here in September 2013, while vacationing with my wife. The room was comfortable and quiet and the location was perfect. The accommodations are all top notch, but the staff are the diamond in the crown of this hotel. I have never experienced more helpful, proficient, and professional staff than here. They far surpassed my hopes and expectations. I should also mention that bed was perfect and the pillows were so comfortable that I purchased a pair and had them shipped to my home in the states.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
AndrewDThomson, General Manager at COMO Metropolitan London, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Thank you so much for your very kind comments following your recent stay at the Metropolitan by COMO.

I am delighted to hear how highly you valued your experience with us and that you particularly enjoyed the service you received from the team. It is the staff at the hotel that truly make the difference and we are very lucky to have some very talented individuals.

Please let me know when you are planning a return to London as it would be my pleasure to look after your reservation personally and ensure another truly memorable stay.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

This is my third time stay in this hotel. There are 5 star hotels and then there is Como hotels.

If you are into contemporary, comfortable style, this is the hotel company to stay with. If you appreciate superior service without attitude or being excessively pretentious, this is company who train their staff to make sure who ever you are, you are welcome! Their service is natural, not trained. It is so unusual to find the 5 star hotel where every ankle of service is faultless.
The service starts from door you walk in. Their door men are so helpful and polite that you really feel like you are a STAR!
This service continuous through your stay.
Metropolitan, London:

Location is great if you come from Heathrow airport or Gatwick airport. You are in hart of London,our room 812 had great view over Hyde Park
Reception: Modern and comfortable
Bar: An excellent service, staff is so friendly you did not want to leave!

Room: well, this is what Como hotels is all about (stayed in Bangkok, and Bali Shambhala, but rumor is that Uma by Como, in Bhutan is the place to stay!):

Spacious room (812):
An Excellent, comfortable Super king size bed and pillows so, so comfortable . Work space; Spacious area to do your office work, Nice , relaxing sofa area by window.TV is 32 inch, and have all the international stations.First hotel where I have been able to choose language in Euronews! Bose sound dock! Nespresso Coffee machine with 6 Nespresso coffee capsules. You can order Tea from Room service and they bring you a small kettle and tea bags.Absolutely fantastic.You just don't want to leave the room(well, the Minibar is well equipped and one of those unusual hotels, where they have thought every aspect of needs. Open one of the draws by mini bar, and if you are with your wife, or partner, everything has been sorted out for your last minute feelings!)

Bathroom is not massive, but very practical with Rainfall Shower head over bath.And their own Shamhala products in Bathroom.Shampoo & Shower gel quality is so high (their own product and they smell so, so beautiful as well), that I bought it from shop downstairs.

Gym: This hotel really cares about your health.Gym is not just there so hotel can say they have a gym.It is very practical and well maintained. In men's changing room you have also a Steam room!

There are two things I did not have time to test time : Breakfast and Spa. I have been told by other guest in the lift that both of them have that high standard what you would expect from Como.

Como hotels is one of those chains where you meet people, who don't go around and tell everybody that they stay there: It is like :Let's keep this place as our secret.Those who want to make noise who they are, or what they do , will go to next door either to Hilton, Four Season or Intercontinental . Those people who really have made it, but want to keep it for themselves, stay in Como Metropolitan (and this is same with all their hotels)
This chain has that something I have never experienced in any other hotels or chains.
Their Management must be very experienced and professional as it reflects to rest of staff.
If you want to treat yourself and you want to make sure everything goes 100%, this is the hotel which delivers. And I don't work for them, I don't get commission to say this.But I just feel that you should give credit where credit belongs to. And that is Como Hotels Management and Staff

Room Tip: You need to pay premium with Park (Hyde Park)face rooms .If you are with somebody you want to impres...
4  Thank quality13
AndrewDThomson, Manager at COMO Metropolitan London, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Thank you very much indeed for your very generous comments and recommendation following your recent stay at the Metropolitan by COMO.

It is terrific to hear that you enjoyed so many aspects of your experience with us from our location, to the comfort of your room as well as the time you spent in the Met Bar. I am also delighted to hear that you enjoyed the service that you received throughout your stay and that this enhanced your time in London in some way. We are incredibly lucky to have some very talented individuals on the team and I shall certainly ensure that your comments are shared with them all. I am sure they will be greatly appreciated.

If you would like some more information about COMO Hotels and Resorts please let me know as it would be my pleasure to assist you. Likewise, should you be planning a holiday or business trip to one of our destinations in the future I would also be very pleased to help.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back. Please do let me know when you are planning a return as it would be my pleasure to handle your arrangements myself and ensure another truly memorable experience.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

5th time around at the Metropolitan. We love the staff, the rooms, the bar (Sometimes a bit quiet), the quickness of the service, the location.. and being able to go to Nobu without putting a coat on.
The contemporary style works, the views of Hyde Park are nice, rooms are spacious, great bedding.
Being so central is also a plus. You are in reach of all areas but stay within a fairly quiet neighborhood at night. As a friend explained, real estate is so expensive that only foreigners can afford buying. Being that they only stay a few weeks per year, most buildings around are empty.
Concierge is very efficient and uses providers which are not overpriced. Dominique was a bible on the London nightlife.
It is a perfect place for those who do like luxury in the right measure. In London, things can otherwise rapidly get heavy on the decor side...

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Overseasintl

Thank you very much indeed for your terrific feedback following your recent stay at the Metropolitan by COMO. As a regular guest your comments and recommendation are particularly appreciated. I am delighted that you continue to enjoy our location and the design of our rooms. I am also particularly pleased to hear your comments about the service you received throughout the hotel, especially from Dominic on Concierge. It is the staff at the hotel that truly make the difference and we are very lucky to have some very talented individuals.

Please let me know when you are due back to London as I would be delighted to make your reservation myself and ensure another great stay.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

They know what comfort means here.

No gold gilt rococo furnishings just clear lines and uncluttered. Perfection, everything is functionary with style. From check in to check out service is impeccable - no hassle everything done with fair but never OTT.

The size of the room for a Park Lane/Mayfair Hotel is massive, the bed is king size+++, the room comes with its own Nesspresso coffee making machine, Bose speakers.

The management have got it just right and you know they have it right because their staff have it right.

Did I mention comfort…………………………….

Room Tip: Of course, if you can, see if you can get a room on the higher floors over looking Hyde Park
1  Thank Ian P
AndrewDThomson, Manager at COMO Metropolitan London, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Thank you so much for your very generous comments following your recent stay at the Metropolitan by COMO. I am really pleased that you enjoyed your experience with us and that you found both the service you received and the comfort of our rooms highlights of your stay. Your thoughts echo the comments of many of our regular guests so it is terrific that you felt the same way.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

Used to stay at the Metropolitan a lot and returned after not having been for a few years . The hotel remains excellent , if at the very boutique end and they have improved the gym greatly . The wifi however is woeful . It required you to re-log in every time you stop actively surfing the web so every time you want to use your computer you have to go through the rigmarol of getting re-authorised . It is only irritating the first few times - it soon becomes infuriating ! Management really needs to fix this - it is so 2004 !

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
AndrewDThomson, Manager at COMO Metropolitan London, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2014

Thank you very much for your comments following your recent stay. I am delighted to hear that you have returned to us and that you noticed some of the improvements we have made in recent years. I am sorry, however, that you were frustrated with the log-on process for the wireless provision at the hotel and I shall direct message you in regards to this.

Please do let me know when you are planning a return to London as it would be my pleasure to look after your reservation personally and ensure your stay is memorable for all the right reasons.

Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

Booked this hotel after finding a last minute deal online. The first room provided on the fifth floor was spacious and perfectly acceptable for the price paid (it didn't have a picturesque view which may put some people off). Unfortunately one of the windows wouldn't close fully, so maintenance came up to investigate within minutes and an alternative room was arranged instead. These things happen so it wasn't a problem, what's more important is how it was handled.

The replacement room on the 10th floor overlooking the city had a fantastic view. After leaving the hotel for something to eat, there was even a bottle of wine and a note apologising for the inconvenience left in the room which was a very nice and unexpected gesture. This is a perfect example of how fantastic all the staff here are; having read other reviews I can see why people come back.

Possible suggestions. Although two bottles of water were provided in the turndown service, it would have been nice if the bottled water from the minibar was free of charge after check-in. Secondly I could only find three coffee pods for the machine which is an odd amount for two people, especially when they are all different types. There were also no tea bags (or even a kettle). I've not deducted points for any of these criticisms as they weren't a problem and I'm sure if requested they would have been rectified.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TheTallOrder
AndrewDThomson, Manager at COMO Metropolitan London, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Many thanks for your comments about your recent stay at the Metropolitan by COMO. I am delighted to hear how highly you valued your experience with us and that you enjoyed the service that you received throughout the hotel. I am sorry, however, that you were inconvenienced by a room move but was very relieved to hear that this was handled well and does not appear to have spoiled your stay.

You are indeed correct that we provide complimentary tea making facilities on request to all our guests so we can certainly provide this for you for any future stays.

Please let me know when you are planning a return London visit so I can look after your booking personally and ensure you have another terrific stay.