“Funky, Big Rooms, but no WOW factor”

COMO Metropolitan London
Ranked #55 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 29 December 2010

It was great to be able to find a modern boutique hotel in London which boasts excellent sized rooms. Often rooms are small and look like Laura Ashley has exploded in it - not that there is anything wrong with this.

The hotel is in a magic location across from Hyde Park in the middle of Mayfair. As it was booked through Amex Centurion I received an upgrade to a Metropolitan Room which was minimalist but a great size. It had a balcony (locked during winter) and I had a beautiful view across to the park. Furnishings were of light wood and cream and were all functional. It was also great that there was free Wi-Fi.

The bathroom was quite small and the shower was in the bath. I have no general issue with this except the bath tub was very narrow. There was certainly space to have installed a wider tub. Toiletries and towels were good. What is it these days with shampoos and body washes all having peppermint in them??? Lovely addition was heated towel rails. Good turn down service was provided.

Some extra brownie points go to the Concierge who rang to let me know he had contacted Qantas to confirm my flight was on time - nice.

On the downside, I could not for the life of me work out how to turn off the light in the bathroom! Closing the door was the next option. The oddest thing was there was no clock in the room. when I mentioned this at check out the person on reception indicated that many guests complained about this - so why not fix it. The bed was comfortable but not the best out there.

I had an early-ish pick up of 8:00 am so hit breakfast at 7:00 am. There was no one around for at least 10 minutes and eventually a staff member appeared. I accept that it was unusual for someone to be up that early on a bank holiday but I could not even find a way to attract attention. That said, the service was professional and the food beautiful.

Overall it was a fine experience but not a great experience for the calibre of the hotel which it holds itself out to be.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo

Reviewed 26 November 2010

My husband saved for a year to take me to this hotel and booked a 2 night stay for my 40th birthday Surprise. On arrival at 3.30pm our room was not ready, this was not a problem as we were offered a Complimentary Drink while we waited for an hour. However to add insult to injury I did not realise until I got home that we were charged for this!
On entering the room the bed throw was badly stained so I called room service who came and snatched the throw from the bed and hurried out of the room. I went after him and asked if he would be replacing it and he said 'Yes' but never did. After getting out of the shower I noticed the shower was leaking badly, so I called Housekeeping who advised me to 'use the towels to clean it up and then call them and they would replace the towels' I was totally disgusted, however, I knew my husband had put so much effort into making this special that I didnt want to keep complaining infront of him.
He paid £616 for 2 nights Bed & Breakfast, we only ate breakfast once and again to my amazement we were charged a Service Charge for breakfast on our bill.
I am a Director of a Travel Company, obviously the hotel did not know this, and I know my rights. However, I have never ever complained before in my life about any hotel I have stayed in and believe me I have stayed in over 300 hotels from Travelodge to 5 Star. My Birthday was completely ruined and the surprise turned out to be a nightmare.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
EdinaW_70, Manager at COMO Metropolitan London, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2010

Dear Guest

I am disturbed to hear that your stay with us in July was less then satisfactory, especially as your husband had chosen the Metropolitan for a special occasion.

I am also terribly sorry that you are under the impression that we have not replied to your email, to follow up on this I hope you don’t mind advising me who your comments were addressed to. Please use my email address as follows: edina.woerner@metropolitan.como.bz.

If you could share with me the dates of your stay and your room number it would give me the possibility to follow up on the concerns you raised and hopefully take corrective action.

Thank you very much for bringing this to my attention – feed back is very valuable as without it we are not able to improve our service standards.

Once again, please accept my apologies and I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards

Edina Woerner
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 28 October 2010

My wife and I stayed for seven nights - three teen girls in tow. The two bedroom / two bath flat was excellent. The location (Mayfair near Shepherds Market) was unbeatable. The kitchen was modern and huge. The bedrooms were large. Maid service was excellent (although I wasa little surprised that there was none on the weekend). The bathrooms were a little dated but perfectly fine. The carpets could use a good cleaning or maybe replacing. We'll be staying here again, for sure. The front desk staff at the Metropolitan was very nice. The place isn't ideal for catching a cab - the dorrmen have to devise a better system than the one they have.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 October 2010

After researching a lot of the London hotels for my partner and I to stay at during our holiday to London.
We had a few around options that are often in the papers and magazines but settled on the met. Not disappointed at all. When we arrived we checked in and drinks sent to our room to welcome us, the coinerge then greeted us and sorted us for a night at whiskey mist.
The second night we had ventured into Oxford street and bond street for some shopping and where helped by the lovely staff up to the room with the purchases. Having nobu as the hotel restaurant was also a great novelty after seeing the stars eating here quite often! Great meal and the staff where excellent, only thing I will fault is the other diners who I found to be extermely rude and obnoxious! One even refusing to pay the service charge and then throwing pennies on the table whilst the waitress cleaned. Horrible man!
However, we then went to the met bar which had a few residents from the area in who where lovely as was the hostess who was absolutely stunning!
After a 10 days at the hotel we had an amazing time and the staff really go out of their way to make you welcome and have a fantastic stay! I can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed: August 2010
Reviewed 13 October 2010

You can tell when the staff are really well trained and no where is this better demonstrated than the Metropolitan. From the immaculately presented staff to the pristine appearance of the hotel shows that whoever is running this place has a serious attention to detail and whoever you speak to demonstrates this with spades.
Nothing is too much trouble, as a demonstration of this I overheard a young waitress being asked by a foreign couple for a Clotted Cream Tea with Scones and Jam. Normal one might think, but at breakfast?
This presented no problem to the waitress who understood the couple were flyer elsewhere in the afternoon so breakfast was their only chance to sample this very English treat. She was never flustered and whilst I did not witness the outcome all was well under control and the couple were delighted with this impeccable service. The bathrooms have all been refreshed since I last stayed and the whole hotel seems to have received a fresh vigor and energy. Clearly others appreciate great hotel keeping because it was completely full when I was there and for a Park Lane Hotel to be this busy at the weekends shows how the cream will always rise to the top even in so called recession times.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Keith Makepeace
Reviewed 4 October 2010

This is probably the best hotel I've stayed so far in London. It is very much overpriced though, so it's ok for business travel but there's better value to be found when you're on your own dime. Rooms are clean, nicely furnished, good mattresses, lots of light, etc.

As all British hotels, they don't have power outlets in bathrooms (arrrgh) and these guys didn't have power outlets anywhere near the mirrow in the room. I guess I was their first guest who wanted to blowdry her hair in front of a mirrow.They did provide an extension cable after I yelled at them.

In addition, you can't VPN from this hotel, period. Their system doesn't allow it.

The breakfast was very good compared to what other hotels in London serve (that means it was what you would find in any US diner). If memory serves, it came to about $65, FX taken into effect. But it was edible.

I would stay there again for business (VPN be damned) but definitely not for leisure.

Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 October 2010

I am coming to the Metropolitan in London for more than a decade and although I tried also several other hotels in London, this one stands out. It is like Four Seasons meeting style. With Nobu in it, it is just a destination in itself. It will need renovation in near future, but it still looks better than many of the newest places.

• Stayed: September 2010