“Christmas Visit, 2013”

Add it.
American Memorial Chapel
Ranked #982 of 1,651 things to do in London
More attraction details
Owner description: Located in St. Paul's Cathedral, this memorial pays tribute to the American men and women who lost their lives during wartime.
Angola, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Christmas Visit, 2013”
Reviewed 18 April 2014

My daughter and son in-law are both Active Duty USAF, serving in Lakenheath. My wife, son and I had the pleasure of visiting them for Christmas. We rode an open roof double decker on a rainy London morning and St. Paul's was one of our stops. Until that day I didn't even know the Memorial existed. Needless to say, it's something I will NEVER forget. The Cathedral itself is breathtaking but the Memorial left me speechless. My only regret was that photography or video was not permitted as it IS a functioning church above all else. I kept my camera respectfully in my pocket. GO THERE and SEE IT FOR YOURSELF. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Visited December 2013
4 Thank Curt Y

Maplewood, Minnesota
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“Thank you Great Britain”
Reviewed 29 October 2012

I had not reflected on this chapel until I saw that Tripadvisor was looking for reviews on it. Now that I think about it, I realize just how wonderful this chapel is. In fact, if I was told that I only had one hour to spend in London, I'd want to go back to the American Memorial Chapel in St. Paul's Cathedral. The reason is that the people of England have chosen this chapel as a place to give special remembrance to those Americans who died on behalf of Great Britain and the rest of the world during WWII. There is not ANYWHERE else in London that I can think of, certainly not the usual tourist attractions, where you recognize that any tribute is given to those from America who lived the last days of life in England during WWII.The chapel space behind the high altar is quiet, it's reverent, and with all the stained glass windows giving tribute to the U.S., it's incredibly beautiful. There's a book in the chapel listing all of the U.S. servicemen who died from bases in England. Every day a page is turned in that book to show different names. How special is that? Everyone from the U.S. who comes to London should visit the American Memorial Chapel at St. Paul's Cathedral. That's my reflection.

Visited October 2012