“Breathtaking Experience”

Ranked #27 of 1,650 things to do in London
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Rebuilt by Christopher Wren after the great Fire of 1666, St. Paul's has been the site of many historic state occasions; including Winston Churchill's state funeral and the Royal Wedding of Prince Charles and Lady Diana Spencer. A busy working Christian community with several daily services at which all are welcome. St Paul’s also welcomes visitors with access to five levels of the Cathedral and multimedia guides, guided tours and the award-winning 'Oculus' film experience included.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Breathtaking Experience”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

The Cathedral is a spectacular place to visit and is a must see in London. The history, rich detail and scale of the building was a humbling experience.

We visited on a busy July weekend, but due to the enormous space we were not hindered by the crowds. You are able to climb right to the top of the building, which is well worth it as it provided great views of London (although quite a hike). At the top however the space was cramped and the crowds became far more noticeable. Most complaints have centred around the admission fee but for us the views provided us with an alternative to the massive queues of the London Eye, and in my opinion was well worth the 16 pounds. The audio guide was also very good, cluing us into the building's rich history and important aspects.

Visited July 2014

60 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“absolutely beautiful”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We were fortunate to hear the bells. This is an awe inspiring building. I prefer it to Notre Dame in Paris because it seems less remote and forbidding.

Visited August 2013
Newark, CA
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“St. Paul's Cathedral”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Visiting this cathedral was a special experience. Even though tourists are constantly moving through, it maintains a quiet reverence. It was particularly interesting to learn about the architecture and design of Sir Christopher Wren. The cathedral is nicely located close to shopping and restaurants. One of my favorite scenes was viewing it from across the street during the lunch hour when hundreds of people sat on the steps to enjoy their lunches and soak up the sunshine.

Visited April 2014
Boston, Massachusetts
322 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 459 helpful votes
“It will take your breath away”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

It may not be the cheapest tour, but it is worth it! (Note, you can go in for free if you go during a mass.) I did the audio tour, and spent hours walking around the cathedral in awe – to me it is an engineering marvel. I didn’t walk up the stairs because I have a fear of heights, and the guide said I would have a hard time with the catwalk. I found the catacombs a little difficult to navigate and find some of the tombs I was interested in. A landmark for London that should be on your itinerary.

Visited March 2014
Market Drayton
75 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 288 helpful votes
“An awe inspiring place.”
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

I love coming back here, one of my first trips was with my late Nan over 40 years ago and I keep going back when I am in London. Another very special visit was for the close down of Iraq Ceremony and I was a guest sat in amongst dignitaries. The choir were amazing especially when they sang Ave Maria, beautiful. I was here in May and will be going back again soon.

Visited April 2014