“size isn't everything”
Review of Number Sixteen

Number Sixteen
Ranked #276 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 22 December 2013

After years of staying in the city's grand hotels we discovered Number Sixteen and have never looked back. Comprised of what were once four individual houses in a classic South Kensington row, the hotel has an intimate "house party" feeling. Beautifully decorated and impeccably maintained it is a perfect place to come home to after a day around London's very wander-able streets and shops. Breakfasts are tip-top and there's limited, high quality kitchen activity at other times, but no real dining. In lieu of a bar, drinks are served in lounges with the look and feel of stylish townhouse living rooms.

Room Tip: The smallest rooms are fine for one but tight for two.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank fussydame

Reviewed 2 December 2013

This was a work trip for my wife, so I was the spouse tag-a-long. The hotel was expensive, compared to US standards. But our room was paid by work. So we may not have stayed here, if we paid for it. Loved the location, because it was close to the Tube. Rode the Tube everywhere, so the location was great and the neighborhood is really safe. Walking around all times of night (i.e. 3am), so I felt really safe. Overall I would recommend the hotel, if you are staying in London. The only complaint is that the bathrooms are really small (I am 6'7). The bathrooms are for really small people.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 November 2013

I love so much this place, the location is perfect, it's very calm and relaxing. When I am there I am feeling at home. The decoration is very nice, warm and charming. The staff is always very kind and helpfull. For me, my London paradise.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Charlotte G
Reviewed 10 November 2013

This is a beautiful boutique hotel in a picture perfect London townhouse on a quiet street. It is in a great location, right around the corner from the Natural History, Science, and Victoria & Albert Museums as well as the "underground" station. Nicely decorated and has a cute court yard out back. The first 2 nights were a dream. We had 2 inter-connection rooms for our family of 4. We went to Paris and came back expecting to be in the same 2 rooms, but unfortunately we were put in the basement. Be sure not to get a basement room, they are noisy as the restaurant is above and it is hard to sleep.

Room Tip: Stay away from the basement rooms! Although beautifully decorated, very noisy with the restaurant a...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank christineg754
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Room Sixteen has amongst the best service I have ever experienced. Staff are overwhelmingly friendly. Breakfast is superb, same goes for location (unless you want to spend most of your time together with the hipsters in Shoreditch, then Ace hotel might be an alternative). Be aware that the rooms are quite small, and then I mean really small. If you are under 1.80 tall, you will be ok, but if you're like me, 1.90, you'll feel like an elephant - but that goes for other places as well, apart from the zoo. Still, great place, I will certainly come back.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Espen S
Reviewed 3 November 2013

This was my first stay in a Firmdale hotel. I was staying overnight as I was going to a party in London, and just needed a bed really. It's a great place, every room is beautifully designed even the small ones. The Queen rooms are far from basic, lovely colour schemes, a fair sized wardrobe, compact marble style bathroom with great shower, and lots of character. The bed is very comfortable.

If you are looking for a single room in central London, I would say you couldn't go any better. The rooms are small, but you can use the living room, library and conservatory so you don't feel cramped.

The only downside was the lack of room at breakfast, when I went down there was a queue of people and I was put on a table next to the breakfast, which was fine but it did feel like people were standing over you when they were choosing theirs. I did go back with friends to the conservatory later though and it was far more pleasant.

The location is fabulous though. My new favourite place if I need a room in London, I just need to find another excuse!

Room Tip: All the rooms are good, but if you would like a bath go for a bigger room.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Everything about this hotel is terrific. The staff are especially nice - not phoney or judgemental - genuinely charming and quite youthful. We stayed here twice this autumn and both rooms were quiet and tasteful, good design sense...very magazine . The sheets were amazing. Does anyone know what brand they are??? I want them. The breakfast is 'continental' but quite a lot to choose from - worth the price (remember, this is London). Rooms on the back overlook the private, treed garden and are quietest. 'Rocca' is a great Italian /hip restaurant less than a block away - fantastic thin crust pizza.
It cost about $700.00 (not pounds) a night , I felt that was money well spent !

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple