“Amazing!!”

Ranked #43 of 1,679 things to do in London
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: This world-famous museum houses portraits of noted Britons from the Tudors to the present day.
Reviewed 11 June 2014

This was another stop in London that I thought I would go in, quickly see portraits from the Tudor era and then fly out the door to something else. Wrong! Three hours later, I walked out the door, amazed at the beautiful portraits I had seen, not just from the Tudor era (though I did stay in that area longer than most) but throughout the gallery. The art work is displayed beautifully and again, we had a minimal amount of people around and so it was reasonably quiet and peaceful. We debated between visiting the National Portrait Gallery rather than the National Gallery (knowing we couldn't do both) but we couldn't pass up the amazing opportunity to see the paintings I had enjoyed seeing in books (Elizabeth I Coronation Portrait for one.) A great treat.

There are newer reviews for National Portrait Gallery

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Only a few days left of this superb exhibition of art from WW1 so worth making the effort. The artworks provided interest from both an historical perspective and an artistic point of view.

The exhibition was well organised and as usual the staff were most helpful. The NPG is always worth visiting but this exhibition was extra special.

Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

We visited the NPG recently and where so impressed became members!

A fantastic collection of world famous portraiture. Too many to describe.

Please take a visit and also dine in restaurant which was also a treat. Even more so for members who receive a 10% discount.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

I’m sorry I left only to my second trip to London to visit this Gallery – I should have gone there both times!
The pieces are chronologically organized which makes you travel through history with them. Despite its controversy, I did love the Portrait of Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge!
The entrance is free, they just ask for a small donation, but in my opinion it is worth a lot more. The staff is super helpful: they really try to answer everything you ask. The library/book shop downstairs is pretty awesome too!

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Open late on Thursdays, they serve drinks and you can walk around and admire the cool world war 1 portraits and history. Quite something