“Romantics are a treat” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #39 of 1,568 things to do in London
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: This world-famous museum houses portraits of noted Britons from the Tudors to the present day.
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“Romantics are a treat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

See the romantic portraits if you like writers of that generation. The building itself is a piece of architectural art and worth in its own right. The painting are arranged by date oldest at the top working down to the modern portraits on the ground floor. I was delighted to see an excellent portrait of Mo Mowlem and Maggie Smith. Worth a diversion

• Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“BP Portrait Exhibition - excellent and free”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

Every year I visit the BP Portrait Exhibition and always enjoy it. Today was no exception: the quality of the paintings was fantastic. Some were beautiful, others were unsettling; but nearly all of the artists had exceptional talent. It's nice to be reminded that there are modern artists with real craftsmanship - some of the paintings were so lifelike that I could hardly believe that they weren't photographs. Entry is free, and it wasn't too crowded even on a Saturday in tourist season.

The shop is also worth a visit - lots of interesting and fairly priced gifts. There was a lovely silver horse charm necklace (£12) and some beautiful glass cameo jewellery, very pretty and unusual.

41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Stunning”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Exhibitions always changing and being updated. As well as art that's been there for centuries. Artists and photographers need to visit regularly. Always full of inspiration

Wexford, Ireland
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“The BP Portrait Awards”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

I have managed for the last four years [except when it was in Derry] to be in London while the BP exhibition has been on . AS The Portrait Gallery was the first gallery I ever visited in London, I feel it is like an old friend. I know how to get there and how to get home- important if you are an infrequent visitor. I head straight for the BP. it never disopoints. I am fascinated by how the artists can put so much expression into eyes and faces. I always have a look at the other portraits in the permanent exhibition as well. I love the one of Judy Dench. The Portrait Gallery has been a great London find for me.

Visited July 2014
Richmond, United Kingdom
381 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 355 helpful votes
“A lovely gallery”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

I popped in as I had half an hour to spare before my next appointment so thought I would use the time productively. I went to the National Portrait Gallery as I was walking up Charing Cross Road. I was not disappointed.

As I had so little time and I have an interest, I went to see the Tudors and then the Hanoverians. The paintings were all very interesting and extremely well displayed and explained. I was especially pleased to see Thomas Cromwell as I have just finished Hilary Mantel's wonderful book, Wolf Hall.

I did not have time but the café and gift shop looked good.