“A Must See for British Art”
Review of Tate Britain

Ranked #48 of 1,616 things to do in London
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The home of British art from 1500 to the present day.
London, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“A Must See for British Art”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Besides have the Ultimate Turner collection; the most recent advantage for the visitor is to view and step through viewing paintings by the century.

In addition several special exhibitions make it a must visit attraction.

Visited June 2014

277 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 163 helpful votes
“Brilliant!”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Although I'm really not a fan of the temporary works in the central hall this was, without question, the most interetsing Gallery I have visited in years. Lots of good quality art, a variety of scupture, an excellent chronologically themed series of galleries exploring the history of British Art and a fascinting building. Really impressed - just a shame the gallery staff were not more friendly.

Visited April 2014
2 Thank DrPeterDRobinson
Eastcote, United Kingdom
80 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“Nice selection of British Art”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Been meaning to come here for years but never got around to it.
Glad that I finally did.
The building itself is glorious victorian neo classic.
Nice views across the Thames.
There is a good cross section of British art through the ages up to the modern day . When we went there was an exhibition by a British Sculptress that looked as if it was something my son would have done in kindergarten.
The guides were friendly and they knew as little about the sculpture as we did but had fun guessing.
There was other modern art that was good and could understand the point the artist was making.
Pretty much all of it is on the ground floor ( when you enter up the steps from Millbank ).
There is a basement level with a restaurant, cafe, library and workshops.
There is a first floor section as well but we could not find the correct lift to take us there so we missed it.
It is a nice museum and being free so does not cost anything apart from time.
Expensive gift shop so be warned.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank prw1970
Boston, Massachusetts
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Gain an understanding of British art history.”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

My husband is English, and on our many trips to London I've declined to opportunity to visit the Tate Britain because I felt that a museum of British art would fall short of the national gallery. On my last visit to London I stayed with a good friend who lives in pimlico and asked what cultural things we could do nearby her flat. She suggested the Tate Britain.
I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the collection. There is something a bit more literal about British art generally than one would expect from other European countries. But I walked away from the museum feeling like I understood something about British art and culture than I did before my visit. I especially feel that the time I've spent in London gave me a much greater appreciation of the collection at the Tate.

Visited January 2014
London, United Kingdom
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“quieter and better laid out than the tate modern”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

great selection of british art laid out in a beautiful building. logical arrangement and great narrative. great if you want to kill an hour or 2 and a short walk from the main attractions.

Visited June 2014