“Pictures and I didn't take them!”
Review of Tate Britain

Ranked #50 of 1,694 things to do in London
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The home of British art from 1500 to the present day.
Reviewed 10 June 2014

My wife and I went to see 500 years of British Art. Started off by visiting the café for a coffee, recently restyled. However a little confusing at the check outs! Lots to see and study if you are of an artistic bent. Paintings, sculptures, etc. (as you would expect) Appealed more to my wife. Liked the layout off different ages in each room following on from the one previously. Plenty to interest all tastes and there is never enough time to see all. Will be revisiting. Worth checking out website before you go and plan your visit.

2  Thank Tigerpaul

Reviewed 8 June 2014

My wife and I visited the Tate Britain in London on Sunday 8th June 2014 in the afternoon. We weren't sure whether to visit this Tate or the Tate Modern. In the end we opted for Tate Britain to see a mixture of classical and modern paintings and sculptures. The highlights were the Turner Collections, Epstein sculptures and Constable collections. We even saw the original of our copy if Grimshaw's Liverpool Docks. We also went to the in house restaurant which was good and also the looks! All this can be summed up ....... Splendid!! Thank you Tate!

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Besides have the Ultimate Turner collection; the most recent advantage for the visitor is to view and step through viewing paintings by the century.

In addition several special exhibitions make it a must visit attraction.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Although I'm really not a fan of the temporary works in the central hall this was, without question, the most interetsing Gallery I have visited in years. Lots of good quality art, a variety of scupture, an excellent chronologically themed series of galleries exploring the history of British Art and a fascinting building. Really impressed - just a shame the gallery staff were not more friendly.

2  Thank DrPeterDRobinson
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Been meaning to come here for years but never got around to it.
Glad that I finally did.
The building itself is glorious victorian neo classic.
Nice views across the Thames.
There is a good cross section of British art through the ages up to the modern day . When we went there was an exhibition by a British Sculptress that looked as if it was something my son would have done in kindergarten.
The guides were friendly and they knew as little about the sculpture as we did but had fun guessing.
There was other modern art that was good and could understand the point the artist was making.
Pretty much all of it is on the ground floor ( when you enter up the steps from Millbank ).
There is a basement level with a restaurant, cafe, library and workshops.
There is a first floor section as well but we could not find the correct lift to take us there so we missed it.
It is a nice museum and being free so does not cost anything apart from time.
Expensive gift shop so be warned.

1  Thank prw1970