“Marvellous”

Ranked #50 of 1,726 things to do in London
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The home of British art from 1500 to the present day.
Reviewed 20 June 2014

A great way to spend sometime. I took my 9 year old daughter and she was delighted to see the installations and the portraits. A lovely but pricey cafe just add to the experience....

Reviewed 20 June 2014

On our latest visit yesterday (we are Tate members), we wandered around the 'British Folk Art' exhibition. This was very interesting, but I cannot help thinking that it needs to be much larger in size as I came away wanting to see more - and I am pretty sure that there is lots more that could so easily have been included.
So looking forward to a Part II perhaps ....

1  Thank GrumpsDC
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We visited in June 2014, a little over a year since we were last there. In the intervening period the galleries have been refurbished and there are paintings on display that we hadn't seen before.

Of particular interest is the gallery showing "forgotten artists", individuals who were highly regarded and terribly popular some years ago, but who have been forgotten over the tears.

There are free guided tours all week, with members of staff showing 5 0r 6 paintings during a gentle stroll around the galleries. These are a must, especially the afternoon Turner session.

Others have commented that it isn't suitable for young families, I don't see why not as there are plenty of activities for them, but leave them at home and enjoy a stroll through 500 years of beautiful art.

1  Thank NeilMacG
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Wonderful exhibits but there was little direction and at times we were lost between galleries. I wouldn't try this museum with small children.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

My wife and I went to see 500 years of British Art. Started off by visiting the café for a coffee, recently restyled. However a little confusing at the check outs! Lots to see and study if you are of an artistic bent. Paintings, sculptures, etc. (as you would expect) Appealed more to my wife. Liked the layout off different ages in each room following on from the one previously. Plenty to interest all tastes and there is never enough time to see all. Will be revisiting. Worth checking out website before you go and plan your visit.

2  Thank Tigerpaul