“Must See” 5 of 5 bubbles

Charles Dickens Museum
Ranked #65 of 1,568 things to do in London
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Charles Dickens Museum in London holds the world's most important Dickens collection with over 100,000 items including manuscripts, rare editions, personal items, paintings and other visual sources.Based in 48 Doughty Street, the author’s only surviving London house, we offer visitors the chance to experience what Dickens’s home would have been like and learn more about the great novelist and social commentator. We are open every day of the week, and welcome visitors of all ages.
Useful Information: Stairs / lift, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access
NYC
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Must See”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2008

The Dickens House is a Must See for anyone who loves Charles Dickens. They have a permanent collection, as well as rotating exhibitions covering various themes from the author's life and works. This was one of his earlier residences, so the items on display were all moved back much later. Still, one can get a bit of a sense of what it was like for the Dickens family to live here. Plus, they have a great (though small) bookshop.

1 Thank DickensFan

28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Off the beaten track”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2008

The Charles Dickens Museum is off the beaten track in a side street about ten minutes' walk from Russell Square, but is quite well signposted in the vicinity. Whilst I found interesting many of the exhibits and original manuscripts on display here, I was rather disappointed at the lack of cohesion and explanation.

Upon arrival I was offered neither a guidebook nor audio guide. When I returned to the ticket desk to purchase a guide I was told that these were out of stock. The rooms themselves are numbered but there is a need for more information at the point of display. I happened to come across in the basement area a DVD playing which provided a useful introduction to the life of Dickens and it would be helpful if visitors could be directed here at the start of their visit. Overall I came away with the impression that the staff need to do more to improve the visitor experience at what is an important location in London's history.

4 Thank Harrovian
uk
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Sadly Disappointed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2007

I had been looking forward to exploring the Dickens Museum, however it was a good example of how not to do museums. It was fusty, poorly laid out and very little to look at and learn. There seemed to be no common thread to the rooms and certainly no interactivity. There was no explanation for why items were there and what there were. I learnt absolutely nothing about Dickens. Just to give an example, the basement had a 'replica laundry' which was a pot and the 'wine cellar' was an arch of broken bottles. Really very much the poorest museum I have seen ever, and I have seen many- go to the Foundling Museum instead if you want to go to a museum in the area, far more informative and beautifully laid out.
Don't waste your money.

5 Thank cccandoit
A TripAdvisor Member
“Loved the commode”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2004

My husband and I visited the Dickens House and loved it. I am a huge fan of Dickens and I was moved by the turquoise ring he gave to his wife for their engagement. Despite their eventual separation, it was a sweet token of affection. My husband loved the commode and enjoyed telling two Danish gals exactly what is was used for. To see a home where Charles Dickens lived and wrote was truly amazing.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
USA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Dickens Pen”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2004

Our visit to Dickens House was an absolute delight for many reasons.
The staff and volunteers are wonderful and we hit upon a day where there was a hands on demonstration. We were able to write with one of Dickens own quills and handle a first edition of Nicholas Nickelby. It was a thrill, and absolutely captivated the two 18 year olds who were travelling with me. It is well worth the stop to glimpse into Dickens' England.

8 Thank AHtravels