“Tea Heaven!”

London by Night Independent Sightseeing Tour with Private Driver
Ranked #5 of 751 Shopping in London
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: From a small grocery store in Piccadilly in 1707, has grown a celebrated store with an international reputation for the exclusivity and quality of the products it sells. Fortnum's Food Hall is an irresistible display of gourmet pleasures, from chocolates and biscuits to smoked salmon and Stilton, vintage marmalade and seasonal produce. Passionate about provenance, we are proud to recommend every jar, spoonful and slice for our hungry customers.
Colorado Springs, Colorado
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Tea Heaven!”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We visited Fortnum and Mason on our last day in London. It was the perfect place to pick out some treats to take home to the US both for us and for gifts. I loved the selection of teas and coffees, we sampled chocolates, explored all the levels of this store, and chose the perfect gifts. I bought myself a lovely tin of tea, tea towel, and sampling of biscuits and jellies. Family members loved their boxes of tea I brought home to them. There were several things I wish I would have bought but didn't have room for, can you order online from F&M's?
Either way I loved it there!

Visited January 2014

• Turkish first
London
106 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 99 helpful votes
“Does not deserve my warrant as a grocery, let alone a royal warrant”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

This place has gone down so fast in the last 5 or so years I will need some very convincing news to make me return.

They sell no fish other than salmon, most of which is smoked. The cheese counter has been decimated and is now presided over by a lady who knows nothing of what little she has to sell. The little meat looked unattractive to this carnivore. The single Romanesco brocoli they had left was tired and had been broken (I did ask for a fresh and perfect one for my £3.50). The once staggeringly good and entirely authentic Sacher Torte has been replaced with some goo that seemed to contain little if any chocolate.

I used to go here to buy what I could not find anywhere else, or, if I could buy it elsewhere, the best was here. Why else pay the ridiculous prices? We did find some cheeses, and for £29.90 got a small but excellent St Marcellin (£5), a tiny slice of Mimolette, we discovered the delight of aged Gouda, got our once-a-season doctor-defying Vacherin du Mont d'Or (500gm £12), and an averagely good slice of Gorgonzola Dolce. I would have expected to pay Waitrose £15-£20, or Tesco £12-£15 for the same quality.

Tea-room service was perplexingly slow, and I wonder again at my sanity having paid a 12.5% service charge on top of a bill for cake with tea or coffee that averaged £11 per person. 3 chocaholics took advice from a waitress who was unable to identify a "chocolate" cake which really did contain chocolate!

Oh and a note about their toilets:- do not expect the remotest luxury or pampering. They would have been one step up from a hospital toilet, if they had been clean!!

Now all this emporium has is branded stuff for tourists to spend their entire visit budget. If you want to buy a gift in a tin, for a fortune, go!

By the way, is it significant that on their website there is no history between 1964 and 2011?

Visited April 2014
4 Thank EuroTraveller52
Kuwait City, Kuwait
1,891 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15,821 helpful votes
“I like their honey and tea selection”
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I like their honey and tea selection
It is nice place to shop in also i used to have afternoon or high tea in the cafe
visiting this store always in my plan
you do see crowd like other famous department store
I will review the cafe also if find in your listing

Visited October 2013
2 Thank bnghanem
Elgin, Illinois
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Genteel and Elegant shopping experience”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

A really lovely store located in a beautiful building. We didn't have the opportunity to go to tea here, but bought some tea and tea strainers to take home. Not surprisingly, it was delicious! Also picked up some gluten-free muffins which we good as well.

Visited January 2014
San Dimas, California
50 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Entertaining stop”
Reviewed 26 April 2014

We had to stop by Fortnum & Mason for a peek at their renowned Food Emporium. We spent quite a while downstairs choosing treats to take back to our "riverside chalet". We were surprised when several trained singers took turns on the beautiful staircase and sang. Wish we knew what that was about!

Visited June 2013