“Nice store, slightly overpriced ”

James J. Fox & Robert Lewis
Ranked #87 of 756 Shopping in London
More attraction details
Owner description: In business for more than 100 years, this merchant is well-known for selling fine quality aged cigars.
Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

Stopped in with another aficionado friend for a smoke while in town. Great friendly help and a nice looking shop. Prices are a little inflated as you might expect in the center of London and the smoking lounge upstairs lacks a bit of the character from the main shop, but overall, nice place to have a smoke.

1  Thank Bryonuk
There are newer reviews for James J. Fox & Robert Lewis

Reviewed 28 October 2013

Had a great time today in this terrific shop. The staff were very knowlegable and helpful while the selection, prices and availabe merchandise were excellent.
Having been in many cigar shops in Europe, the US and UK I'd have to put this place, due to it's attitude, location, ambience and history, amongst the best. I'll be back!

Reviewed 7 October 2013

By chance our tour driver took us into James J. Fox and we were very pleasantly surprised. An old established business with history, great selection, a smoking room, and of course some memorabilia. Some of the oldest cigars are on display. Really liked the layout. Have a look, spend some money!

Reviewed 23 September 2013

Did not have a good experience in this store; which is a shame, as it was the one I was most interested in visiting. That said, here's what happened...

I entered the store with a bagful of purchases from the Davidoff store, located just up the road, and was smoking the remains of a Cafe Creme (small cigarello) - upon entering the store, the two staff members - one young one, and one a bit older, were busily puffing away on fat cigars. I immediately stated that I was interested in making some purchases of what were seemingly hard-to-find cigars. The younger one, rudely stated in reply, "Put that out otherwise I shall have to ask you to leave the store!"

I raised an eyebrow or two, and asked 'why - especially since you are both smoking?'

The retort was that they were 'sampling' a hand-rolled product and not, as was I, 'smoking' a machine-rolled product.' I laughed at this play upon words, but before I could respond, the young, pugilistic one barked out "If you don't put that out immediately, I will ask you to leave the store!"

I asked if it was okay to use the ash-tray, just in case that was against their house rules too? It wasn't, so I extinguished my Cafe Creme. I must say, I did not really feel too welcome at this stage, and thought maybe my Davidoff bag had upset them...or maybe, it was the disdain for daring to smoke a Cafe Creme machine-rolled cigarello in such a hallowed emporium; whatever, I persevered.

I enquired about certain hard-to-find cigars...which ended up going nowhere fast; and also devolved into a seeming tit-for-tat argument about the contemporary history of Cuba and the rightful ownership of seeds / brands of some cigars. The younger of the two was the argumentative one; the elder of the two sat back and watched the show.

I was at a loss to understand why they would engage a customer seeking to make several purchases in such an inhospitable and unprofessional manner? I told the young man that I would yield the floor...but he still persisted to argue. Even after I walked away to look at something in the store, he just would not let things go. So, having had more than enough of the barrow-boy attitude, I bid them good-day and exited the store.

What a shame! A shame I was unable to enjoy my visit to this store which I had much anticipated...but also, a shame on them - for the experience I met with at their hands.

Would I visit (or purchase from) this store again? No.

Reviewed 3 March 2013

The staff were lovely, taking time to describe all the different cigars they stocked although they knew we were only investigating their museum. This in itself was most interesting and shops like this need our support. If you are in London Mayfair and find J J Fox in St James's Street which has a royal Charter, pop in say Hello and enjoy ten minutes in another world; or if you smoke a pipe or cigars Enjoy!!