“Fabulous service and beautiful hotel”

Covent Garden Hotel
Ranked #17 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 5 August 2012 via mobile

My friend recommended this hot to me after she has stayed here several years on business. We had a junior suite which was perfect for my husband, our two young children and me. The too
Rooms are beautiful but the service makes this hotel so special. We saw and talked to the general manager every day. She was so lovely to our children and to us. When we didn't think we could find anywhere to watch the Euro 2012 semi-final, she offered to show it in he screening room at the hotel until she realizes it was already booked for a party. If you want a great location, wonderful rooms and amenities and terrific service, you should stay here

• Stayed: June 2012
There are newer reviews for Covent Garden Hotel

Reviewed 30 July 2012

A great hotel with individual styling in the rooms, attentive staff and a great location for Theatre District & Covent Garden (its only seconds away from the Cambridge Theatre where Matilda is presently showing).

We had a Four Poster room and adjoining Junior Suite (the rooms were not interconnected but had a lockable door that separated them in the corridor outside), making them ideal for families with older children. The Four Poster room was more traditionally decorated but the bathroom was a disappointment being a little on the small side with a shower over the bath, whereas the Junior Suite was more modern in its decoration, with a fantastic walk-in shower.

If you want a smaller London hotel that is more personal, then this is the place for you. The hotel has that little bit of extra charm, the Guest Drawing Room / Library is like something you would normally find in a traditional English Country hotel.

Make sure you have one of their Afternoon Tea's before you leave, the fresh cream scones were just perfect.

It must be good...as we would return.

Room Tip: We had a Four Poster room and adjoining Junior Suite (the rooms were not interconnected but had a lo...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 July 2012

Normally I'm in London during the winter, when hotel rates are much more reasonable. And I've been spoiled staying at the Four Seasons in Hyde Park, my last couple of trips. But, since June rates (right after the Jubilee) exceeded my budget, I had to look elsewhere. I'm so glad I did. The Covent Garden Hotel is a warm and charming small hotel. The staff was very personable, the room and bath were excellent (and I'm very picky). The bed was extremely comfortable. I spent some time in the public drawing room, which was nicely decorated and comfortable. The concierge helped me book a day tour and was very helpful. All in all I highly recommend this hotel.

Another reason I enjoyed my stay is the location. Everything was very quaint and in the heart of Covent Garden (half a block from 7 dials). I was able to find shopping, dining, taxis, everything right outside the hotel door.

I've heard the Firmdale Hotels are excellent, and for my first experience I will agree. That's not to say I wouldn't stay at the Four Seasons again. It's just a different way to epxerience London.

Room Tip: I had some confusion on the definition of a delux room vs. luxury room. The photos on their website...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank cecpad
Reviewed 26 July 2012

I travel hundreds of thousands of miles annually and am usually disappointed at hotels--even the very nice ones. In planning our family vacation to Europe several summers ago, I over-researched hotels (including this website), talked to friends and business associates who are also picky about hotels, and chose Covent Garden. From the moment we arrived until we checked out, we were consciously impressed by the experience and will even try another hotel in London on future trips.

The staff was sincerely nice and thoughtful (and remembered names, which was surprising), the room was charming and spacious, and the location can't be beat.

It's not cheap, and it is 2 x not cheap thanks to the current exchange rate, but we were satisfied with the experience. My only issue would be they should include the internet access for free at the rates they charge for the rooms.

Ask for the breakfast deal - or call directly to negotiate rate and get breakfast included as it is wildly expensive (19 pounds--nearly $40!), but more palatable if included in the deal.

Considering the other heavy travelers I saw there, including a famous movie director and several other important Hollywood types (who no doubt are pickier than me), this hotel is consistently a good experience.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 July 2012

I'll make no secret that I am a big fan of the small, yet perfectly formed, chain of Firmdale Hotels. They are beautifully ecletic and British, high quality and have superb levels of personal service.

My most recent stay - for one night at the eponymously named Covent Garden Hotel - was fantastic from start to finish.

After a friendly welcome from the Reception staff and a speedy check-in I was shown up to my room - a junior suite (317) on the third floor. The room was exactly what I'd hope for - really good quality furniture and fittings, an enormous, extraordinarily comfortable bed, quirky design touches - like fabric wallpaper - a mini-bar stocked with plenty of tempting bits and pieces and a marble bathroom with a bath so deep you could berth a ship in it!

This room overlooked the vibrant Monmouth Street below and the two layers of windows and thick black out curtains were there to block out the outside world when you wanted to. Being a bit higher up obviously helped but it was very quiet at all times, although not silent - you do need to bear in mind you're in the heart of it all here.

Firmdale adopt what I call a "treat you like an adult in your own home" approach and so there's an Honesty Bar in the residents' lounge on the first floor. It's a very comfortable place to spend a bit of time before going out or, equally, having a nightcap on your way back as we did.

Breakfast the next morning served up a tasty muesli and yoghurt pot and excellently cooked eggs benedict. My only quibble about the stay would be the relatively slow levels of service at breakfast - food took quite a while to arrive and I have to remind them a couple of times about things that had not arrived for my guests. That said, the hotel was totally full that night and I wasn't in a mad panic to leave.

If I need to stay in that area again, I'd definitely go back.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank londonbristolboy
Reviewed 2 July 2012

I loved every minute of my stay here! As many have indicated here, the staff are warm and friendly and very, very helpful. No request, including frequent first aid requirements, was too much trouble. The rooms are decorated in a quirky but somehow elegant way. I would not have chosen the large painting that was hung in our room, but it in no way detracted from my visit. The bed linens were as smooth as silk; the beds nicely firm and comfortable. Bathrooms had both shower and bath, and two sinks. Toiletries were replenished daily, and towels extravagantly replaced twice daily if used. An excellent box of welcome chocolates was provided for each guest, not just each room. The bar is off the warm and welcoming library, and is run on an honesty basis, with guests noting down their drinks in a book.
Breakfast here came as close to my ideal breakfast, with a buffet feast as well as excellently prepared and varied hot dishes, cooked exactly as requested. I was especially impressed by three different varieties of gluten-free breads/pastries at the buffet, and the dried fruits were presented in a honey-marmalade syrup. A huge bowl of whole fruit was not simply decoration. There were also fresh melons and other fruit, including papaya and mango, and a muesli mixture that was loaded with goodies, the likes of which I have never seen in a packaged cereal. Again, service was delightful.
There are only two small points to note. One is the fact that the blackout shades are not actually blackouts, but more like greyouts--a lot of light comes in. Having said that, triple glazing means that even a ground floor room is quiet--in central London! The other point is the rather unseemly charge of £20 per day for WiFi use. It has been stated by a London hotel owner that it costs him 8p per day per room to provide WiFi, and given the rooms rates and the fact that the extra charge is not well publicised, it is something I think the management should rethink. Unlike many other hotels, this hotel provides newspapers without charge, and will post letters overseas without charge--a nice change from the norm. Now is the time to add WiFi given that it is at least as important as television these days. At least they did provide a free-to-use laptop at reception, so here again, the problem was relatively minor.
I would love to stay here every time I visited London, but alas, the price is far beyond my range. Still, it was special enough to consider splashing out for a special occasion--a truly memorable stay!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 June 2012

This hotel came highly recommended by a friend and while it is very nice, we will probably stay elsewhere on our return to London. The check-in is on the ground floor and rather noisy (just off the restaurant). There is a nicely appointed seating area and fireplace on one of the upper floors where we had tea on a rainy afternoon. There was a very loud man in one of the small seating areas off the main room which diminished our enjoyment of the area considerably...no place to esacpe his inconsiderate behavior. Our room was quite lovely, but very small. The hotel is well located in the theater district, but given that we were not seeing any plays, this was not an attraction for us.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple