“Delightful”

Covent Garden Hotel
Ranked #15 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 16 March 2014

The Convent Garden Hotel is pretty and intimate. The rooms are very simple (almost borderline bare) with classical furnishings and subtle though cheerful colors, and the common areas are delightful. The lobby is small and understated, and the restaurant immediately to your right as you enter is bright with windows along one wall and an open entrance through which you can see people go in and out of the hotel. It's a charming environment and also a good place for people watching. The library on the first floor is the star of the hotel – the rich wood paneling and grand fireplace are quite luxurious. In addition to the larger library is a smaller more private room with its own sitting area, as well as a separate fully stocked honesty bar. All areas are well kept and clean, and there is no element of tiredness. The décor works.

The service at the hotel varied but was overall good. The front desk staff was most efficient and perky without being cloying. The waitresses/waiters in the restaurant were equally professional, and the breakfast they serve is exceptional (overpriced, but welcome to London). Do treat yourself to breakfast in the restaurant – it’s worth resisting room service and going downstairs. The concierge service, however, leaves much to be desired. When I asked for restaurant recommendations and specified my preferences, the suggestions offered were completely the opposite of what I had requested (e.g. I said I wanted to avoid Asian and Indian food, and yet the first recommendation was a nearby Indian restaurant). This happened more than once. I wound up answering my own questions with a little help from google.

The hotel sits on a small side street lined with several interesting boutiques and restaurants. The tube station is just a 5-min walk away. Although outside noise was not at all an issue, some rooms offer better views that others. Ask for a street view, otherwise you’ll end up facing an air shaft.

I have just a couple complaints…. Firstly, there are only two small elevators, and the fit is rather tight when there are more than two people needing to go up or down. Secondly, the honour bar is a great touch, but I saw no indication of pricing anywhere. Thus is was a bit of a shock when I received the bill at the end of my stay (and assuming it was correct, then the honour bar is even more overpriced than the restaurant). Lastly, there was a lot of construction during my stay. The first room to which I was shown was right by the elevators, one of which was undergoing massive construction. I was then moved to a room a couple floors up, and for the entire first day the carpet outside my room was being replaced, which made it difficult to luxuriate in an otherwise beautiful hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
6  Thank NYEm

Reviewed 11 March 2014

We stayed at Covent Garden as a family and enjoyed every aspect of the hotel.

The hotel: old world beauty with all the modern amenities you need.

Location: right in the heart of covent garden with a bounty of shops and restaurants steps away. It is central to many popular attractions as well as business ventures.

The drawing room: this equates to a concierge or club lounge in the USA. It is a lovely large room with a fireplace and many seating areas. An honor bar stocked with drinks and snacks is at hand. We ended many evenings here with quiet conversation or a game of gin rummy!

The staff: courteous, respectful and helpful. The concierge was knowledgable and we used his services many times. It is simple to get a taxi out side the door of the hotel or they can arrange for a car to pick you up at a moments notice.

The rooms: all the rooms are individualized as far as the decor which adds to the charm. They are large clean rooms with a seating area and a desk with plenty of outlets for charging our technology driven lives. The bed and linens were extremely comfortable allowing for much needed jet lag induced sleep.

The bathrooms: beautiful and spacious with large walk in showers.

Conclusion: when in London there is no need to stay anywhere else!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank R T
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Firmdale sure knows how to run boutique hotels. After staying for years at Number 16 in South Kensington, I switched to the Covent Garden Hotel because it was directly across the street from my office -- not realizing it was another member of the small Firmdale group. But just like Number 16, the Covent Garden Hotel is warm, sophisticated and lovely with excellent service at every turn. Convenient to Soho, theatres and Covent Garden, the hotel is a short walk to hundreds of restaurants, clubs and quirky little shops. It's also next door to Miller Harris, who supplies the lovely smelling bath products for the hotel. The staff goes above and beyond routine hotels, and on one visit several years ago had a silver-plated teapot repaired for me after I returned from Portobello market to discover it leaked. The Drawing Room, with its two fireplaces and overstuffed sofas is the perfect place to host friends, have a drink in the evening or even take your laptop to work. Push the service button and tea arrives, ask for some heat and they light the fire. The only problem with the Covent Garden Hotel is that it can be very hard to leave.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have less traffic noise. Ask for a room on the Monmouth Street side.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Truthtraveler58
Reviewed 1 March 2014

Just back from my first stay, and I'm kicking myself for never having found it before. A lovely hotel, with warm, clean, well furnished and comfortable rooms and exceptional service, in a location that can't be beat, with reasonable prices. Theatre, shopping, restaurants, and clubs are all within minutes on foot. There's nothing opulent or fancy, but there's also nothing at all missing to detract from a thoroughly enjoyable stay. A few things to note. The rooms are all sized and configured differently - some have larger living areas and small bathrooms (with the shower in the tub, a bit of a climb), while in others the reverse is true, and there are rooms in the "basement" - if details like that matter to you, be sure to ask questions when you book. The restaurant is just o.k., and a bit slow, but fine for breakfast and, honestly, in that neighborhood there's no reason to eat anything else in the hotel. The bar, and especially the service at the bar, is terrific (if you can get back before it closes - life in London . . .). The fitness center is tiny, but well equipped and open 24 hours - it was great because I had it to myself, but I imagine with even 1-2 others in it I'd start to feel cramped (the aerobic equipment is VERY close together).

Room Tip: I tend to think higher up is better, and again it depends on what you care about in a room since the...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 February 2014

This hotel is one of the best hotels I have stayed in London, the location is perfect, right in the heart of Covent Garden and also because it had such a lovely, cosy atmosphere. It is discreet and on a quiet street in a great part of London. And best of all the rooms are quite big! The staffs are very nice and attentive.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 February 2014

My husband, son and I were upgraded to a junior suite on arrival which is undoubtedly the best hotel room we have stayed in in London, and we have stayed in quite a number. All the staff we encountered were wonderful and couldn't have been more helpful. We arrived a little early for our room so went to Brasserie Max for Gentleman's Tea which was absolutely delicious and the breakfast was also great. Will certainly stay here on future visits to London - worth every penny.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 February 2014 via mobile

My husband and I visited the gorgeous Covent Garden Hotel for his birthday at the end of January.

Reserved for special occasions, this was our 5th visit. We were greeted by a super smiley receptionist who upgraded us to a Signature room with a colossal Four Poster bed. On to Brasserie Max where, after a wonderful boozy lunch, my husband was presented with a little birthday cake and we were given vouchers for two glasses of complimentary birthday champagne!

A special mention to Concierge JOSH who quickly sorted us out with an iPod adaptor so we could listen to our music in the docking station in the room.

large bottle of scented oil left for us at turn down, it was so lovely to be back!

After a fantastic night's sleep in our ludicrously huge bed with it's super soft sheets, we just had time for a delish cooked breakfast in our room before heading out of the hotel and back to reality.

Still without doubt the best London hotel we've stayed in. We'll be back!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple