“No one died, so there's that.”
Review of Pavilion Hotel

Pavilion Hotel
Ranked #918 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed 4 March 2014

There used to be a game show on British TV called The Crystal Maze. A contestant would enter a strange room and be confronted with a puzzle that they had to solve or else risk being locked in. There was always an initial moment of panic and confusing before they began to tackle the enigma of the room.
This is exactly how I felt when I first set foot in my room ("Quiet Please") at The Pavilion.
I stood in the doorway, shocked and bemused and thought "oh my god, this is smaller than my 10x10 storage unit back home!!"

The bed was an old wooden cot type thing. The bedding was a random assortment of thin sheets and the mattress was the sort of thing you would be made to sleep on if you were ever held hostage in Afghanistan. The one single pillow was a revolting flat yellow pancake (actually 2 of them in one pillow case). There wasn't enough floor space to lay my suitcase down. The only table was an antique writing table with a 25° slanted top. The complimentary cup was almost too tiny to hold a teabag. No toiletries except a mini-sized bar of soap. A leather chair way too big to be in there. And then there was that delightful musty smell... What could it all mean? What was I supposed to do? How was I going to survive?
The panic and dread hit me, then came the anger. I instantly started to imagine what I would be writing in my scathing review to Trip Advisor... But then the dust settled and the adrenaline flowed and even though I had no team members shouting instructions, I set to work on the task before me.

I emptied my case and hung all my clothes up on the 4 coat hangers and small luggage rack that seemed in danger of falling off the wall any second. Then I hid my empty case behind the bed. Then I set to work on the table, I needed something to wedge under the lid to make it level.. I pulled out a couple of the small internal drawers and rested the surface on them, perfect, now I had a usable surface!! Then I moved the chair between the bed and the table and turned it into a nightstand. Finally I visited the nearby shops, first stop, Argos, where I bought 2 new pillows for £4 and a nice big coffee cup for £2. Then I invested in some smelly candles, fruit, teabags, honey, milk, nuts, and bodywash.
I converted that microscopic room into my little London oasis, and after 5 nights, I opened the door and walked away a free man!! I had won!!

The hotel sells itself as a "rock'n'roll boutique hotel", well, I work in the music business and let me tell you, this ain't no rock'n'roll boutique hotel, it's barely a hotel. I highly doubt any celebrities/musicians/models have ever stayed at The Pavilion, and if they have, it was no doubt by mistake and someone probably got fired because of it.
But let's face it, a single room cost me £55 a night and that's hard to beat in London. It's also near the US embassy and walking distance from Oxford St, Soho, etc. Plus if you like Lebanese food, you're definitely in the right spot!!

If you're the adventurous type, The Pavilion might just be fine for a short stay, but read the reviews, you have been warned!!
It's not the worse place I've stayed in, and to tell you the truth, I actually began to feel pretty cozy in my 7x9 cubbyhole, but it takes some time getting use to. This is more like staying with your crazy old aunt than a hotel. There's no reception as such, just a room that 2 young lads take in turns to loiter around in. There's no working phone. There's no bar or restaurant. There's no elevator. There's no room numbers. There's no thermostat. And there's no real sense of security (I felt like I could've easily pushed my door open without the use of a key).
The building is an old converted victorian house full of antique furniture, persian rugs, moroccan pillows and ornate wallhangings, but that's all essentially just smoke and mirrors there to distract you from the grim shabby digs that it really is.

The sad thing is, there is so much potential here, The Pavilion really could be what it aspires to be. In fact, it could be awesome without much trouble at all. Perhaps the owners could save money by losing those ridiculous breakfasts that no one seems to want. If they just made a bit more of an effort and maybe researched a few similar hotels to see how it's done properly (The Pelirocco in Brighton or The San Jose in Austin for instance) then maybe they could have an absolute gem of a hotel. As it is, I get the feeling they're bored of the place and have turned their backs on it. Why else would they expect a guest to lay on a lumpy emaciated mattress or rest their head on a repulsively stained pillow? It just shows utter contempt by them for anyone who pays to stay there. It may be a budget hotel but that's no excuse, clean quality bedding would make a huge difference. After all, most guests are just needing somewhere to spend a few nights whilst they're in town. I'm sure the majority of people could deal with a slanted table or a miniature bar of soap, as long as they had comfortable, sanitary sleeping conditions.

Would I stay here again? Maybe, if I thought for one second that the owners would take note of the multitude of negative reviews here and clean the place up a bit... but I very much doubt they will. Shame.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
23  Thank mattstraw

Reviewed 24 February 2014

At my arrival, I was pleased with what I saw as it gave a traditional and authentic look to the hotel which is not what you usually find nowadays. The gentlemen at reception was helpful n polite. However, it's expected of the customers to leave their car keys at reception and as for them if u need it, it wasn't fully explained as to why they had that procedure in place. We were then handed our keys to the room called "flower power". Me and my partner had a fair bit to carry and when I asked if there were any lifts the response was a "no". It would of been nice to have got some assistance as he was well aware we were on the very top floor. I was very excited to see what our room would look like but trying to get on of those doors to open was hard enough. Once we entered to my shock the room was overly crowed with things there was no need for.. There wasn't much coordination either.. The sink was outside of the bathroom.. The bathroom door wouldn't shut fully.. The stools in the room had sharp ends n were very unstable.. I hurt myself on them a few times and nearly fell off one time as well. The pillow covers did not look clean n nor did the duvet.. The duvet actually smelt a little which really made me question their cleanliness. My partner was not comfortable at all with the room n would not sleep within the bed because of the marks he found on the pillows. The bed was very firm n I found it really hard to sleep all night n kept waking up as my body would hurt. The bathroom didn't look so clean either. To top it all off, we were told the heating comes on "automatically" but until I complained we had no heating for two hours. The heating was never on for long enough anyways which made it really difficult to feel warm. The water supply is also something I would like to mention. It was steaming hot n really hard to get in level. You would have to turn the tap nob a few times before any water even comes out. The only thing that pleased me was having breakfast delivered to my door for us. Although not a great deal was provided it was nice to have a tray of breakfast delivered on time. Though I don't understand why they didn't knock to let us know it had arrived. Overall it was the worst ever hotel I had stayed at and would not recommend to anyone at all.

• Stayed: February 2014
6  Thank Ayeshani
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Just stayed here for two nights in the Funky Zebra room. Having read some of the reviews here I was a little worried I'd made a mistake.... but not so. We found the room comfortable (not spacious but it's a converted house...!), it was clean, small shower/toilet perfectly fine, warm and definitely a one-off. Street noise? It's in the middle of London, what do you expect?! I'm not sure what the writers of less-favourable reviews were expecting, but it's definitely different and way more interesting than your average B&B. I would certainly return - go with an open mind and enjoy the fascinating decor!

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank kittywelsh
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Cramped filthy rooms with musty velvet cushions and used plasters stuck to blankets. No duvets, stale croissants & luke-warm milk on a tray for breakfast. We felt like we were sneaking around, on going to reception to complain, I was told 'Please go, please go, the Manager is coming!' Well, perhaps the Manager should come along and have a good look at the state of the place. Antiques or not, there is no excuse for stinking, grubby amenities. Staggeringly misrepresented by the website. Don't go. Just don't.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
12  Thank Katherine P
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Stayed one night here prior to an early morning meeting the next day - big plus immediately is the low cost of parking a car for 24 hours, which in London can be a real problem.
Very quirky hotel with loads of atmosphere and eccentricity. Don't stay here if you want the standard Marriott or Hilton business hotel experience.
I had a single room that was small but had all the amenities - including a hussar uniform complete with caps and swords (after all, I was staying in the War and Peace room).
Bed was a bit challenging but overall it was a strangely enjoyable experience - but definitely not to everyones taste.

2  Thank Brazilian
Reviewed 21 January 2014

I booked this hotel despite the bad reviews on here, and was expecting nothing more than a room with a bed. But I was suprised in a positve way with the room, that I got. The bed was bigger, than expected, the bathroom was fine, everything was clean and nice. And the place has personality - it is fun to study the decor of the rooms and the common areas.

The staff was very friendly, helpfull and nice. I was a bit cold the first night, and asked for an extra blanket, which was there when I came back. They also offered to turn up the heat for me, if I preferred that. Always nice and willing to help.

Ok, there was a lot of noise from the street - but I knew it was just by a main road, so I expected that. The tv didn't work, but the wifi was good enough for me to enjoy Netflix and internet radio instead. The bed was not the most comfortable bed, I'd ever slept in, and breakfast wasn't impressing. The second day the water was cold in the shower, but I later found out, You just had to wait a minute. I think maybe it was cold, when someone else was in the shower...
However I did not expect any more than that for the price I paid.

I was in London for a convention, and a lot of people there spend 2-3 times as much as me on a room, that was not much better. And they were all impressed by the look of my room not to mention the price.

I would definately stay here again. You get, what to expect for the price. The location is good, and there is a wonderful little pub around the corner (The Royal Exchange), that you will have to visit if you stay here.

Room Tip: There is a fair bit of noise from the street in rooms facing that way. And there is no lift for the...
Reviewed 18 January 2014

I stayed for one night in this quirky little place and although it was strange looking, it was certainly in the, what I would call 'Weird, yet wonderful' section.
The place was clean and warm. All rooms were different and so interesting.
I did a mini photoshoot in the room which Kelly Brook was once shot in! ;) Very impressed.
I slept well despite the strange mannequin in my room and was the last guest to leave in the morning... or should I say afternoon...woops :P
All in all I enjoyed my stay so I hope to go there again some time...I want to see what the rest of the rooms look like!

Rosa Dela.

Room Tip: Don't...make it a surprise!