“Light on usual hotel facilities, but still fantastic” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Rookery Hotel

The Rookery Hotel
Ranked #133 of 1,089 Hotels in London
London
“Light on usual hotel facilities, but still fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2012

I booked a two night stay for a friend and I when we were going to see a show at The Barbican. I work just down the road, and know the area well. It's busy and noisy and full off trendy bars and restaurants. All this is utterly left behind as you walk into The Rookery.

The hotel is a row of knocked together town houses. This is very evident as you walk the uneven corridors. I love that these were not corrected during the renovation of the place. You feel like you are in an old country house. The corridors ooze as much charm as the rooms.

The rooms and suites are all named, not numbered. We were in 'Jack Sheppard', who, I believe, was a notorious highwayman. We had a giant wooden bed, heavy wooden furniture and a sunny bathroom, with freestanding roll top bath. Oil paintings hung on the walls, and heavy drapes covered the windows.

The hotel offers room service, but there is no actual bar. There is a well appointed sitting room, with club chairs and sofas. It opens out onto a private walled garden. You can order tea (which comes in pots) or fix yourself a drink (and jot it down on a ledger, along with your room name). This is the only place you really come into contact with other guests.

Our room looked out towards the front of the hotel. At night, there was loads of noise from the street. Once the bars and restaurants close, the clubs open. Once they close, hordes of people spill onto the street looking for cabs etc. It's got be expected, but still a great shame. Rooms facing the back might me slightly better, but I'd take ear plugs just in case.

Room Tip: I'd guess rear facing rooms would give a better nights sleep.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank BrionUK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Korean first
Greenwich, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2012

After staying at a number of more mainstream hotels in the area, I thought I would try something new. Wanted quiet, convenient and comfortable -- which is exactly what I got. The staff was great and the room was perfect. A great refuge during a busy business trip.

This doesn't have the amenities that some hotels do, but that was fine with me. This is a terrific little secret near the City and a terrific alternative to more hectic places.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

Stayed here for 6 days and I'll definitely try to stay here again the next time I'm in London. The location is terrific being a short 3 or so minute walk from Farringdon station, which has 3 lines going through it. The area has tons of restaurants to choose from within immediate walking distance. There's a convenience store a short distance away.

Practicalities aside, the hotel had a lot of character and details. Great for a unique and very English experience. The staff was very personable and helpful. Our favorite part of the place was the honesty bar. An honesty bar? Really? In this day and age? But it made the experience even more memorable. Like taking you back to a time where you could do that or the feeling that you were a guest in someone's very nice English townhouse.

Room Tip: * There are no elevators so either pack light or ask for a room in the lower floors
Hamburg, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

This hotel is something special as it was built in the early 18th century. All rooms are modernly
equipped on an aceptable level. With no elevator and just local TV-stations it is not a classical business hotel as such. But more worth than this it keeps the charme of ancient times and you see everywhere that they tried to stay with the historical interieur wherever they can (e.g. bathrooms). The stuff is kind and helpful but not more than this. The area of the hotel is a hidden place very nearby the center of London. Between the the Farringdon station and the Smithfield Market you discover the old London: Narrow streets, nice pubs and many other little shops not beeing spoiled by the big retail chains so far. I liked what I saw and would come back.

Room Tip: 3rd floor backyard give you the opportunity to sleep with open windows
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

What a secret hotel! We rang a small buzzer and in we crept silently to the reception. On the right there was a dining room as though we had stumbled upon someones old house. There was even a cat sleeping on a dining chair to add that homely authenticity. After checking in we were led immediately upstairs and shown to our room.

As it is a boutique each room has its own character and ours had a bust of a woman in our bathroom. She was rather stoney looking and gave me a good fright! The four poster bed was so luxuriously soft as were the bathrobes.Only problem is the bed makes noise if you move it. Caution for those on a romantic couples weekend as we were! The only negative I would say was that there was no bath and my partner had paid for a deluxe room and we had both assumed there would be a bath!

Huge thanks for the service, the phone was answered after one ring and with each time came flowers, biscuits and a smile.

Service was fantastic, I am sure I asked at least four times for tea to be delivered to my room as I was feeling ill and they came up with coffee in the morning. They do breakfast in bed if you desire! Even though we were on the corner facing Fabric night club we heard nothing and were overall impressed with the room.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ChristianaCourtright
GreatCthulhu
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

I travel to London a great deal for my job, usually 2 weeks every quarter, a schedule I've maintained for the last four or five years. And every trip, I've stayed at The Rookery. here is why:
1. beautiful building; a series of Georgian rowhouses joined and beautifully, even "lovingly" restored with period detail. Dark mahogany walls throughout, period furniture and fixtures, each room with its own personality and charm.
2. Wonderful, attentive, helpful staff
3. LOCATION: Smithfield Market is right across the street, and beyond that, old St Bart's, St Bart's Hospital. Within walking distance are St John's Square, Clerkenwell Green, Cloth Fair, Charterhouse Square, the Holborn Viaduct at St Sepulchres, St Paul's, the City... need a go on? For a lover of English history, this may be the best-situated hotel in London.
4. LOCATION part 2: great dining abounds. St John, of course, but also great little pubs like Fox and Anchor, the Well,, the Crown at Clerkenwell, and two wonderful little Italian places right on Cowcross Street.
In short, its perfect for a special overnight/weekend or a long stay on business. I've come to regard it as my home in London, the greatest city on earth, and can't praise it highly enough.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank GreatCthulhu
Gloucestershire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2012

We stayed here the night before embarking on our honeymoon, although we hadn't mentioned that we had just got married.

We arrived late afternoon on the Friday and as there was no booking for one of the suites they upgraded us! A real treat :)

The staff were lovely, the decore enchanting and the cat charming. The breakfast was delicious and delivered promptly. I have no quarms about eating breakfast in bed - especially in a four poster.

We enjoyed it so much we've booked in again for the Easter weekend, and budget permitting, would pick this hotel as our regular stop over when in London.

The Oyster & Chop bar just around the corner was wonderful also, and just a stones through from the Hotel.

Room Tip: All the rooms look wonderful!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple