“Not a business hotel - you'll love it or hate it”
Review of The Rookery Hotel

The Rookery Hotel
Ranked #205 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 19 September 2013

First off, let me be clear. I'm a business user. If I was looking for a quirky hotel/B&B in a hip area for a weekend away with my wife, it might have worked. But I wasn't. As a business user my wants are pretty simple:

1. Pleasant staff that check me in quickly? Check.
2. An ironing board so I can iron my shirt for the next day? Check.
3. A nice shower to get me going in the morning... er, no. A cast iron bath tub in fact. And a hand shower. But no curtain around the bath and nowhere to hang the hand shower. Sorry. I don't have time for a bath in the morning. I want to get up, shower, read my emails over breakfast and go. Fail.
4. A breakfast buffet with a reasonable choice (I try to keep my carb intake very low so scrambled egg and fish are my preference)? Er, no. a choice of cereal, granola or a bacon sandwich which you have to order by midnight and is delivered to your room in the morning. Fail.
5. A light breakfast room so I can read my emails while I have coffee before I take off for the day's madness. Er, no. There is no restaurant. Fail.

So given the above, I'm afraid it was overall a fail from me.

In the interest of a balanced report though... If you are on holiday/vacation, have the time to relax in a bath, and like the 'quaint' victorian feel, small windows and dim lighting, it might be for you. The staff were both pleasant and efficient. The place was clean. The bed was relatively comfortable. It was just the wrong place for me. And as it wasn't cheap it left me feeling a bit disappointed.

Room Tip: Unless you want the exercise note that there is no elevator and ask for a room on a lower floor.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank Trev550

Reviewed 18 September 2013 via mobile

I was treated to a night as a birthday pressy this is truly the most special hotel I've stayed in wiyhin London.

Staff are amazing, the hotel cat is laid back, I love the concept of the honesty bar but the night we were there the seating was already tsken by other guests so we headed back to ohr room. But what a room. We were in the mist basic room yet it was filled with antique furniture and art. I loved the rolltop bath.

Unusual concept for breakfast as it was only room service so we didn't bother and went to the reasonably near by breakfast club instead.

For the first time in years we left london feeling relaxed.

I cant wait to go back

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank firefairie
Reviewed 18 September 2013

I have to agree with other reviewers. The welcome from the staff is excellent and you are made relaxed from the moment you enter. Our room was big with a very large double bed and we had a lovely bathroom with a roll top bath. The room and the hotel itself are spotless.

There is an honesty bar in the lounge which works really well and has a large selection of drinks.

The location of The Rookery is great. It is a 2 minute walk from Farringdon station. There are many restaurants nearby and plenty of pubs to drink in.

I would highly recommend staying here, either for shopping in town or as a romantic break.

1  Thank marvic140908
Reviewed 16 September 2013

A stunning hotel full of character and characters, the staff are the icing on the cake to this beautiful hotel. The welcome and helpfulness of all the team are to be commended, everyone was smiling and you could see they truly loved their jobs. The rooms are beautifully decorated and have the most comfortable of beds which is very much welcomed after a hard days work. A relaxing atmosphere where nothing is too much trouble, I would whole heartedly recommend this hotel to anyone for any occasion.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank SJB1108
Reviewed 13 September 2013

My fiancee booked us a night at the Rookery the evening before we got engaged and it was the perfect romantic location! Gorgeous rooms and possibly the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in! The staff were very helpful and friendly. I was surprised there weren't tea and coffee making facilities in the room, but when I phoned reception they very kindly brought me up some tea and didn't charge us for this.

Reviewed 9 September 2013

Phew - real hotels do still exist in London. Friendly, helpful service, tastefully decorated rooms, roll-top iron baths and a rel feeling of history about the place. Faringdon is also a great location - on the circle line one stop from King's Cross. Some useful info - car parking is available in Saffron Hill multi-storey, we got a discount voucher from the hotel and paid about £16 for 24 hours. Parking outside the hotel is free from 1:30 on Saturday and all day Sunday. The hotel is in the congestion charge zone so if you drive there weekdays until 6pm, remember to pay your £10 online. Breakfast is via room service only but the hotel is right next to about 5 cafes. Very close to beautiful st. Paul's cathedral, and the nearest tube station is just metres away. There are no lifts in the hotel but the friendly porter can help you with luggage. One review mentioned Fabric nightclub being close by - it is, but we stayed on a Saturday and had no problems at all. So glad we chose the Rookery, would certainly go back again.

Room Tip: If you have a problem with stairs, ask for a ground floor or first floor room as there are no lifts.
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Really lovely hotel. Amazing location, tucked away from the hustle a bustle of London but so close to everything. Stayed a Saturday night in standard double (Dr Dodd) for Wedding Anniversary and we were both really impressed with the quality of the rooms and the friendliness of the staff. Wish we could have stayed longer! Rooms are well equipped (TV, DVD, safe, hairdryer, dressing gowns etc) and very clean. Beds are just wonderful with plenty of pillows, quality cotton duvet cover, thick mattress. Bathroom was amazing - spacious with free standing roll-top. Air-con was working, just. We booked via Mrs & Mrs Smith and got a free bottle of wine which was a nice touch. We didn't book breakfast but instead went to Carluccio across the road on the other side of Smithfield's market.

The City at the weekend is a wonderful place - free parking after 12.30 on Saturday, lovely eateries and wine Bars (Vinoteca around the corner highly recommended) and of course the heritage of London in the landmarks and architecture the is on the hotel's doorstep.

We'll definitely plan on returning. If you are looking for a romantic bolt hole for a cosy London weekend retreat then you'll not go far wrong with this hotel.