“Charming find off the beaten track”
Review of The Rookery Hotel

The Rookery Hotel
Ranked #136 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
“Charming find off the beaten track”
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Myself, my brother, and my mom stayed at The Rookery for three days and thoroughly enjoyed this little oasis in London. Our 3 rooms were beautifully appointed, as were the inviting common areas. While there isn't any designated dining area, we were able to have our breakfast delivered to the drawing room each morning, or also could have chosen the cozy conservatory with a fire. The staff really made this stay particularly enjoyable. Very warm and friendly, helpful, and patient with our various questions. The only drawback was that my room faced Cow Cross, so seemed to get quite a bit of late night noise. My advice: just bring your earplugs and nestle back into the fluffy duvet and enjoy your stay.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Korean first
Hatfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Stayed at the Rookery for one night on a short break in London. I was looking for a bit of luxury, but many of the hotels in London are either far too expensive, or very impersonal. The Rookery is absolutely what I was looking for.

I stayed in a Club Double Room, which was very nicely decorated with heavy dark furniture (including a high carved bed, would have been a bit small for me and my husband, but it was just me staying so plenty of room), ornate drapery etc. The bathroom was victorian in style, with a roll top bath. It was all very evocative and felt a bit like staying somewhere out of a period drama. However, there was a mini bar, TV and DVD player as well, just in case the history got a bit much.

Breakfast is served in your room, and there is a choice of pastries, fruit and yoghurt or a bacon sandwich. You have to pay extra though, so I decided to just head for a local pret, but I'm sure it would have been lovely.

Everyone at the hotel was very helpful, and it was nice to be able to leave my bag when I went shopping after checking out.

The hotel is located very close to Farringdon tube, which means it is easy to get to from Kings Cross and also easy to get to most places in London. Although not right in the centre (walking to Covent Garden takes about 20 mins), Farringdon is interesting and certainly not on the outskirts (and perfectly located for the city if staying in London for business). Very conveniently located for Hatton Gardens (if you fancy buying some diamonds).

All in all, very much recommended. If I decide to have a break in london again, I will certainly be returning.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Collonges-sous-Saleve, France
Reviewed 28 November 2013

I have stayed regularly in this hotel since a colleague recommended it to me some years ago, and every time I travel back to London, I try to stay at the Rookery. The staff has been here for ages, they are very nice and helpful, the rooms are amazing and all different, the breakfast is great, the overall experience is always perfect. The location is also great, right next to Farringdon station, you are at walking distance from most of the central tourist places, and close to the City too if you are on a business trip. To be recommended again and again !

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Very historic hotel with great atmosphere.
If you are interested in staying at a small hotel which is very different to the big chains/anonymous business hotels then this would be a very good option. The rooms are a bit small but the decor is very authentic, without feeling "worn down and dingy".

The location is very nice with good restaurants near by.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
New York City, New York, USA
Reviewed 24 November 2013

This hotel isn't for everyone, especially those looking for a sterile, characterless business hotel. I had already fallen in love with it from the website, but it charmed me even more upon checking in. The front desk staff are friendly, and the service impeccable. The room service menu isn't extensive but the two mornings I ordered breakfast everything was delicious, fresh, and the pastries warm. The entire property is very thoughtful. I didn't mind climbing the stairs - it adds to the characteristic charm. There's a beautiful friendly gray cat, and the lounge area with the honesty bar was cozy and inviting. My favorite part of my stay was the lovely antique bathroom, with the old fashioned toilet with the chain at the top, and dark wooden seats. The claw foot bathtub was deep and relaxing. The neighborhood of Clerkenwell is fun to walk around, and the Farringdon station is only a 2 minute walk. Its also easy to walk to shopping areas such as Covent Garden. I only stayed 2 nights but I will be back for sure. Thanks again to the warm staff!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Paris, France
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Excellent !! We spent 2 great nights at the Rookery in lovely mood. The Rookery is exactly what I looked for, typical 19/20th century english mood, great location at 2 minutes from the Faringdon metropolitan station, 1 station from St Pancras, near to the London Center and the service was wonderful ! At the arrival, the bedroom was under the roof and we asked to change for a bedroom bigger, it has been done in a couple of minute !! This hotel is magical even if it's an old building and sometimes some noises from other rooms we haven't been waking by ! This is my best hotel in London where I have to stay ! Thanks a lot to all the staff.

Room Tip: Do not take the third floor room excepted if you like the under roof charm bedroom :)
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Shortly after arriving in London, our cabby took us on a wonderful sight seeing tour of the city ending our first glimpse of London at our Hotel.
Rookery Hotel is very well located for anyone wishing to do walking to the incredible historical sights of London. Museums, Exhibits, The Tube, and within a short walk very delicious eating.
Rookery Hotel defines themselves as a BnB, and breakfast was very delicious and always very consistent.

Check in is very well co-originated by the staff on duty, Luggage was quickly ushered to the room and a quick but thorough rundown of the what where and hows was completed. Our room was A Superior Room, with a generous very comfortable queen bed. The room was period Victoria, and well appointed. It was like visiting at your old aunts house in London. The loo was at the bottom of some very steep stairs and was very comfortable for all the amenities provided and for all the necessary business attended to there.

You are made to feel like family when you stay with Rookery Hotel, and every need was accommodated. Please don't hesitate at the higher cost of this hotel. Its very well much worth each pound you spend.

I know I will return.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the alley.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family