“Beautiful Oasis”
Review of The Rookery Hotel

The Rookery Hotel
Ranked #220 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Stayed here for one night and it was delightful. I was in a club room which by many other hotels standards would be a deluxe. it is decorated in period style with lots of flagstone floors and wood panneling as befits the buildings age. The staff were helpful and friendly and although i did not have breakfast the Florentines with my morning coffee were a nice touch. The roll top bath in the bathroom was exquisite. It is a real shame that they can not have a real fire in the conservatory but that is council rules and regs for you.The only thing that was slightly underpar was the TV in the room. It doesnt bother me but I can see that some people may take issue with it.
The honsety bar is a nice touch and i would definitely stay here again

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank CassieLou_KZN

Reviewed 3 March 2014

I'm really shocked to see the staff here described as rude, they couldn't have been more helpful. If you're after a stay at a quintessential British hotel, steeped in history you've come to the right place. I was also surprised by how quiet it was, a sanctuary of calm, bang in the heart of Farringdon. Admittedly it's not the cheapest hotel in London (breakfast isn't included and there are no tea/coffee making facilities in the room) but what you're paying for at The Rookery is character - as you can see from my review here. http://www.myhiddengems.co.uk/2014/03/the-rookery-hotel-farringdon-hidden-gem/

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MaxineCl
Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

I happened to stay at this hotel on a weekend from hell. I had been under a lot of stress prior and the staff at the time quite simply pushed things over the top by being rude and unfriendly. All in all I will not be staying here again.

• Stayed: December 2013
4  Thank Frequent-travellers1
Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night and the hotel has retained it heritage from 1764. Rooms are very different from standard business hotels. Breakfast was served in room and was plentiful. Despite having a room facing the street it was relatively quiet.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Walk-a-bout0606
Reviewed 23 February 2014

After days looking on the internet for a hotel for a couple of nights to celebrate my 50th birthday my husband was still unsure where to book in London. All the hotels looked much the same at various costs but so many were now very modern and clinical and not at all romantic. He then stumbled accross the Rookery and booked it for two nights knowing I liked geogian/victorian decor. Not only was I delighted with the decor, soft lighting by lamps and wooden carved bed in our Jack Shepherd room the staff and atmosphere was amazing. They could not have been more polite and helpful and I came down on my birthday to them all wishing me a happy 50th birthday.

You don't get the mod cons of power showers but what you do get is a really lovely spacious bathroom with a roll top bath to relax in. Our room was really lovely and warm to come back to each day after walking around in the wind and rain and then it was only a very short walk to a number of restuarants in the evening.

We didn't have breakfast in the hotel as we wanted to get out and see what was around us and on one of the days we used the Sirlion restuarant above the Hope public house just over the road to the Rookery for breakfast. We both had a Rib Eye steak with all the trimmings for breakfast at a reasonable price which set us up for the whole day.

We would recommend this hotel for a quite romantic couple of days in London in a good central location, very close to Farrindon station with lots of places to eat and drink right on your doorstep. It is also very close, walking distance to Hatton Garden Jewellery area.

Room Tip: The bed in Jack Shepherd is very firm and personally we are used to sleeping on an extra soft matres...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank KDandMD
Reviewed 11 February 2014

We recently enjoyed a stay at The Rookery and found the hotel to be charming and, as already said by many others, the staff couldn't be more helpful. The decor is wonderful and certainly takes you back in time however that doesn't always mean good by which I should say that I find a shower an essential in a bedroom and having a roll top bath with hand held shower doesn't do it for me! We requested a change of room to one with a walk in shower but couldn't be accommodated. The room was very comfortable but to use the hairdryer and access a nearby mirror involved having to move furniture so that the wardrobe door could be opened and although the subdued lighting is very restful there needs to be some practical lighting somewhere to enable a lady to apply her make up! Loved the honesty bar which was well priced. It would be nice if the rooms had a Nespresso machine so that a tea/coffee could be enjoyed in the absence of a staffed bar. Free wifi is always welcome and becoming an essential. On a very positive note the location of the hotel is great if you wish to enjoy the Smithfield Market area which is filled with great restaurants and bars.

Room Tip: If a shower is important to you make sure to request one in advance.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank SerenidadDerbyshire
Reviewed 7 February 2014 via mobile

I booked this hotel due to a nearby wedding. We were happy to pay a bit extra with it being a special occasion, the rooms looked stylish, the location was perfect and the reviews very good.
It was an easy choice then? We were so wrong! I don't think I am that fussy yet this was such poor value for money. The rooms had character but were small, had no desk space and too hot. The location looked good but the area is very noisy and a bit of a war zone at chucking out time, that coupled with the thin walls and stomping around upstairs make it difficult to sleep. Then there is the lack of facilities, no kettle in the room (surely that is a minimum now), and no breakfast! Probably my fault for not reading the small print but again, I had that as a given nowadays. The hotel claims there is a breakfast but really it is morning room service, continental or Bacon buttie for an expensive 11.95 (tea, Coffee extra). That plus no lift, a garden that looks great on the pictures but is really in a concrete courtyard overlooked by offices and overall it made for a very disappointing and certainly not "home from home" stay.
I seem to be so out of step with the other reviews that I started to doubt myself when writing this but I can honestly say I wasn't in a bad mood when I stayed. Generally, I like staying away and I am not that picky. Maybe I just rate convenience and value for money higher than character? Overall then, feel underwhelmed and out of pocket.

• Stayed: February 2014