“Old fashioned charm and service...”
Review of The Rookery Hotel

The Rookery Hotel
Ranked #151 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Chichester
“Old fashioned charm and service...”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

From the moment we set foot in the door we knew this was going to be wonderful, none of the stuffy nonsense you get with...dare I say even smarter hotels. They welcomed us all including our young son and his scooter which they offered to 'park' for him. We ordered tea which arrived quicker than it does at home! Very friendly and helpful staff and you never felt like you were bothering them when you buzzed in and out. As others have said better coffee/tea system would be great, but generally way way exceeded our expectations. We asked for our son (six) to have a bed in with us, I expected no more than a camp bed but it was a proper smart bed which he loved. Just loved it. Top Marks Rookery...................we will be back.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank VexedFoxy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Unfortunately we only stayed for one night, I wish it had been longer! It is a lovely boutique hotel with a feeling of old fashioned style and service. The staff were really good, nothing was too much trouble and you felt like guests in someone's house rather than paying customers at a hotel. We were quite taken with the hotel's cat, Lady Grey, could have quite happily popped her in our suitcase. The room (a superior) was spacious, beautifully furnished and maintained. It's not a hotel for those who like the ultra modern but if you are after style and comfort then this is the place for you. The location isn't central in terms of tourist areas but perfect if you want a small piece of quiet in a busy city. My only gripe is that they don't have tea and coffee in the room and you have to pay £3.50 per person for tea. In my opinion a hotel of this quality and price should provide hot drinks and water free of charge.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Gemma F
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

I would agree with other reviewers, there are lots of nice little touches evoking the spirit of a bygone era. I was pleased to be upgraded to a double room, and enjoyed the bath before work!

I was on a room only rate and thought breakfast was expensive so ate elsewhere. Otherwise a romantic, welcoming hotel and I would gladly return.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank iainandanna
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

The Rookery is quite simply one of the most stunning hotels I have ever had the absolute pleasure to stay in. It oozes charm, elegance and character. I cannot recommend this hidden gem highly enough. Superb in every way. I stayed here solo but will definitely return with my partner for a romantic break in the future.

Room Tip: I feel they are all superb - each individual and bursting with character.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Polargirl13
udine
Reviewed 2 June 2014

What can I say ? I Made a surprise for my wife' s birthday and she was amazed, everything was perfect, location, room, bathroom, service, breakfast etc. we've been in London many many times, stayed in several hotels, but this is really one of the best ever: we will be back again !!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank vittoriopic
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed 30 May 2014

This was one of my best experiences. The service and accommodations exceeded any 5-star hotel I've stayed in around the world. The staff, clerks, food were all the best. This was not once but the entire stay of 6 days. I would HIGHLY recommend everyone to stay at one of their three facilities in London! You won;t go back to your hotel.

Room Tip: No pool or fitness, but lots of streets to run around!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Paul P
Philadelphia
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This was my 4th visit to London in 2 years, as my fiancé travels here on business. We very much liked this charming hotel. It looks like a place you'd find in a small English village. It is clean and comfortable, and the staff is friendly and professional. We stayed in the lovely "Blizard" room which is a large corner room with 3 windows. The bathroom has a wonderful large shower. My only complaint about the room is that it lacked a convenient area and appropriate lighting for a woman to do her hair and makeup. There are many restaurants in the neighborhood, and the Farringdon tube station is a block away. I should note that this location may not be the first choice for tourists since it's very quiet on weekends, and there isn't much to do within walking distance. However, if you don't mind the tube and want a beautiful hotel on a quiet street, this is an excellent choice.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business