“far not worth it”
Review of My Bloomsbury

My Bloomsbury
Ranked #460 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 4 February 2008

toilett flush not working, weak water stream and changing shower temperature, a dangerously burning hot towel dryer in the small bathroom, a micro hifi not working, used-looking furniture, bad insonorisation from the noisy street, hard to manage heat system... and perhaps most frustrating from it all, a "sorry we don't serve the breakfast you already paid for anymore, it's eleven and it only served till eleven, but here is the menu if you wish to order a breakfast"...
a definitely no-go

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Write a ReviewReviews (1,068)

Reviewed 27 December 2007

I like staying at MyHotel Bloomsbury. It is always clean and comfortable.

It is a great location for me as i love to shop on oxford.

Rooms are quite small, but i think that is common in Europe.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 December 2007

Hmmm average rating really, was in London working for 2 nights and needed to book somewhere reasonablly priced at the last minute in December. Used to use the Myhotel bar a couple of years ago when I lived in London and had always wanted to stay but wasn't as great as I remembered. The room was the real let down although it was ok for a business trip. Just an extremley small single room, ok I didnt expect it to be that big as it was a singe but I am a small UK size 8 and I struggled to move around the bathroom and a weird set up with the wardrobe - had to reach hand into a small gap to hang up clothes, my husband would have got his arm stuck?! Another big bug bear with me although this isnt unique to this hotel the hairdryer. Will somebody please provide a decent hairdryer in a hotel, we ladies do like to style our barnets and not just wash and go, thankfully this one did have switches not one of those awful things that you have to hold on to use, however there was no mirror in the room. Ugh so annoying!! Didnt stretch to the mirror on the door or into the bathroom. Apart from that if you need somewhere to stay that is central for around £155 per night this is an ok pick. It's clean, the breakfast was fine but wasn't included in the price, check in was good, one of the lifts was broken. Just average.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank LadyGrayChorley
Reviewed 23 September 2007

Stayed here a while back and loved the location. It is so central to the parts of London that I like to explore.

The bar was nice and was used one night to hang out with some friends from Paris. The bathroom was decently sized with a good soaker tub and the room handled our American sized luggage. The bedding was very comfortable but did swallow up the room. Considering the prices of neighboring Mayfair hotels this hotel seemed like a bargain. I would definitely stay here the next time I am in London.

• Stayed: November 2004, travelled on business
3  Thank Shanehoustonlittle
Reviewed 20 September 2007

I stayed at myhotel bloomsbury back in 1999 and had an absolutely serene experience. The room, the service, everything was very Zen. I loved it and actually thought about it in the years after I'd been there.

I came back again in 2007. I'd been to London since, but had stayed at higher-end places either because the company was paying or because I was using some mileage or point program to pay.

this time I was footing the bill, so I chose the somewhat more modest myhotel.

the quite good: the location is still great - quick walk to the theaters or the subway or the national gallery or the british museum. love the location.
also, a very nice feature of this hotel is the library. There are a couple of computers you can use to get online. There are magazines and books, and there's even coffee and water. A very nice way to wind up or down at the beginning or end of a tiring day or trekking around the city.

pretty good: the rooms all come with stereos and nice toiletries, and the breakfast is fab. Really nice.

not as good as I remembered: it could be I'd idealized this place, or maybe it really had changed. I'd remembered it all as very Zen -- especially the rooms. Very spare, very peaceful, etc.

This time the room was sort of orange and brown and maybe some other color. Also, as others have said, there was construction outside -- very noisy, yes, although not when I was trying to sleep; attractive to look at? no. Out of the hotel's control, to be sure, but it does take away from the Zen quality.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled solo
4  Thank JB2go
Reviewed 1 September 2007

This was my third or fourth stay at myhotel Bloomsbury. The room was smallish but comfortable, the staff friendly and accommodating, and the amenities acceptable. As a business traveler, I dislike being trapped in touristy areas, where everything is overpriced, selection is limited, and locals scarce. Fancy tourist hotels are also a tipping nightmare - I don’t need anyone to open my door or hail me a cab, thank you.

For me, the best part of myhotel Bloomsbury is its great location, just off Tottenham Court Road a few blocks from Oxford Street. From here, buses, tubes and cabs can get you anywhere in the city, pretty quickly, and if the weather is tolerable, you’re within walking distance of all of central London. It’s a great stroll neighborhood. There are funky little restaurants and shops on Goodge Street, two blocks away. Tescos and newsstands and electronics shops and conveniences abound. The British Museum is around the corner. There’s a little movie theater across the street. The hotel itself houses a popular little sushi restaurant, and has a hip young bar scene at night. There’s a friendly corner pub right next door.

All that said, here are my quibbles:

1. Construction noise - The stately old building that completely flanks the rear of the hotel is being renovated, with jackhammers and all. The work doesn’t begin until around 8 am and ends around 8 or 9pm, but if you’re expecting a nice afternoon nap or some quiet time for daytime business, you’d best bring heavy-duty earplugs. I don’t know when the work is scheduled for completion, but from the looks of things it won’t be any time soon.

2. The flat-screen TV receives something like 7 or 8 boring channels, plus a few music-only channels. If you need video entertainment in your room, bring a laptop and a pile of DVD’s.

3. No vending machines. Most neighborhood shops close at 10, the Tesco at midnight, so plan ahead. If you want a snack or a soda, you have to get it at the lobby bar, which is open 24 hours. A glass of Coke will set you back 2 pounds. Outrageous!

One more thing - try to avoid rooms facing Tottenham Court Road. Although the large double windows and heavy curtains muffle most of the sound, there is truck and bus traffic all night long. It’s impossible to open the windows and sleep with the fresh, cool night air.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled on business
5  Thank homesick_and_grumpy
Reviewed 14 August 2007

I stood there for one week.
Reception was always friendly and helpful.
Room was quite small, but with everything equiped you will expect in a 5 star Hotel: coffee & tea facilities, flat TV, CD, Radio, shoe shine...
In the basement you can find access 24h to the so called library...real cool location with tea & coffee facilities, allways fresh fruits, relaxing area and 6 Internet Terminals with free use of printer and everything you need to do your admin.
The F&B was very good, always nice people at the bar / restaurant.
The location is perfect in London for Musical (Queen round the corner) shopping, clubbing...and for business.
I will def. go there again for my next London trip!

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled on business