“My Hotel? Meh Hotel. Not Impressed with Room.”
Review of My Bloomsbury

My Bloomsbury
Ranked #386 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Manchester, UK
“My Hotel? Meh Hotel. Not Impressed with Room.”
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel for one night recently on business. I've stayed at the MyHotel in Brighton (see my review) and I enjoyed that so I thought I would try this one.

I checked in a little early as I had a few spare minutes mid-day so I asked at reception whether they had a room ready for me. After a short delay the chap on reception said that they didn't have a double room for me at that time but could swap my booking to a single room at a slightly reduced rate but with a complimentary breakfast.

I asked how small the room was going to be and he advised that it would be fine, like their other rooms but with just the single bed. I decided (foolishly) to go with it.

I went up to the room. The lift up to the first floor had a broken handrail which didn't make me feel so good about attention to detail and I quickly realised that I'd been given the room right by the lift on the 1st floor that (hopefully) is about the smallest room in the hotel. I tried to pace it out and I think it was about 2.5m by 4m discounting the hallway. It was pretty small.

The fit and finish also wasn't really amazing, the furniture felt cheap to me and there were power sockets all over the wall with some small gaps in the plaster work and so on - it just didn't feel that great.

The bathroom was also very, very small - effectively as big as the shower cubicle + the WC. Not much else would fit in there. Again, the fit/finish wasn't terrible but it wasn't amazing either.

I had to make an appointment so I didn't go down, complain and change the room as I was only there for one night so I figured I'd go along with it.

Unfortunately, it wasn't a great night's sleep. Being on the first floor, it was a little noisy and the window coverings didn't really block out the light which made for a not-so-great night.

In the morning, I ate in the little breakfast area which was fine although I only ate the continental breakfast which came with tea/coffee but my tea never showed up. I also noticed that the lady next to me asked for boiled eggs and was told that "the chef has a problem with water" so she had scrambled eggs instead which she then sent back for being too salty so I'm not sure what the cooked food would be like but my pastries/cereal/toast were absolutely fine.

In summary, this hotel may have better rooms but they chose to stick me in a pretty poor one. If I'd have been staying for longer or was on a vacation I'd have complained immediately and given that the price of the rooms isn't really that low-end I'd expect a better experience.

I wouldn't be inclined to return and the main thing that really strikes me is the difference between this hotel and the one I visited in Brighton - they seem worlds apart in every respect.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Paris, France
Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

We had a long weekend in May as my husband arrived for a conference. We traveled with our 2 year old daughter. We had a reservation in the hotel, which was canceled by me because we ended up staying at a friend's apartment. Despite my talks with management, they claim the hotel was never canceled (as I don't have a cancelation proof), and our credit card was charged 180€ for a no show penalty!!!!
0 customer service, I do not advise you to stay in such a place!

Stayed May 2014
2 Thank E1978
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Frankly, writing a review about a hotel in London is probably the same for 90% of all hotels in this city: to small, to loud, overpriced. But guess that is the way it is in a vibrating city like London, where property prices are way out! So either you pay a fortune for a decent room in London or you take what you get.

We stayed three nights in this hotel. The good thing about the Bloomsbury: very friendly, helpful and professionell staff and an excellent location, from where you can reach the most interesting areas of London (e.g. Soho, Camden, Covent Garden, Oxford Street) even by foot. Housekeeping was doing a great job - the room was always spotless clean.

Now comes the "but": we had a room on the forth floor. Well, in other cities of this world you wouldn't dare to rent a room of this size out. It was max 10 square meters small. I would call it a broom closet. A bed, a TV on the wall, a little table and a kind of closet. It all fit in, however there was no space left to move. The bath was fine: clean and everything you needed. But just tiny, tiny.

Unfortunately, due to the building itself, you could hear every noise on the corridor, so the first night we couldn't sleep at all.

On the other side, does the size of the room matter that much in London, where you should just spend time in your room to sleep and take a shower? London offers just to much in order to waste your valuable time in a hotel room.

So, all in all, would I book this hotel again? Probably yes. The location is great and the friendly staff just makes up a lot for the tiny size of the hotel room. Next time, however, I would avoid the rooms on the fourth floor (not knowing, how "big" the rooms on the other floors are).

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms on the fourth floor
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

Spent a very enjoyable night at this hotel. The staff were cheerful, friendly and helpful. The standard room was compact but more than adequate for a night or two and was well equipped. Had dinner and breakfast in Gail's kitchen and it was first class. I would highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mike N
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights. The staff were great, the two restuarant inside the hotel were amazing and the hotel is centrally located. I would recommend anyone heading to London for a holiday to stay at this hotel. Best bang for your buck.

• Stayed May 2014
3 Thank Musttravel12
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I had an excellent reflexology treatment done by Kristina at the Jinja treatment suite in the hotel. She really took care of my every need from the moment she picked me up in the lobby, during the treatment and afterwards when she offered me a complimentary drink. I left feeling really relaxed and happy.
All the staff in the hotel were very helpful. I will definitely be returning for another treatment!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Lucy W
Dublin
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Loved the location of this hotel, very easy to find and so central, especially for theatre venues. The hotel itself was just what i was looking for, smart, clean and comfortable and just did the trick for an overnight in central london. Hotel facilitated an early check-in too which was much appreciated and meant I could get out wandering without my luggage to bother me! My rate didn't included breakfast but this was still possible in the cafe, really good. simple continental, with eggs and bacon if you wished. Great portions. Only one downer - I couldn't access the wifi while i was there, just not picking up the connection. It's definitely on my list when I return for a similar trip again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo