“Never failed to disappoint.. Abondon all hope all you who enter”
Review of My Bloomsbury

My Bloomsbury
Ranked #385 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Never failed to disappoint.. Abondon all hope all you who enter”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Stayed here on Friday and Saturday night and had been so looking forward to our stay. I can honestly say that this hotel ruined our break. We arrived at the hotel at 11 on Friday and we were told we wouldn't get into our room until just before 2, that was fine, not great but we would cope. I asked if they could keep our luggage and if we could freshen up and the receptionist said that would be no problem when we had checked in. I signed the forms and everything was normal until she asked me for £100! I asked her why and she said as a security deposit! I had already paid for my room in full and no one had mentioned this on booking. I told her that I didn't have the money and she said, this is standard, hotels all around the world asked that. Wow good job I wasn't staying a week.
When she realised my card had nothing she looked at my purse and said 'have you no cash'. I felt so demeaned by her scrutiny that I actually emptied my purse out in front of her. When it was clear that I didn't have any money she said 'no deposit no stay' and proceeded to tell me that someone had 'trashed a room' the night before and all the hotels in the area ask for this. I asked her for my money back so I could book elsewhere and she said that is not how we work and you won't get anywhere else anyway as it's a busy weekend.
I really thought we would be sleeping rough and could feel my eyes welling up. I was shaking like a leaf. At this point another receptionist went to speak to the manager obviously about the 'charity' cases. I was humiliated and when I turned around I saw that everyone in the small cramped lobby right through to the dining area were looking at us. After all that the manager agreed to let us stay in a room we had paid in full for.
We were told to leave our luggage there and someone would collect it and we could comeback just before 2 for our room. Red faced we went across the road for coffee, twenty minutes later realising we forgot something we found our luggage still sitting unattended in reception where workmen were in and out and goodness knows who else. My passport, my tablet my camera all left sitting there for anyone to take.
We arrived back shortly before 2 as we had been told, of course our room still wasn't ready so we waited at reception. And we waited some more. Eventually at 2.25 we received our key. Having caught a 6am flight we were by now exhausted but so relieved to get our room. The room itself was boiling as it was a hot day, I opened the window and when I realised I opened it too wide I tried to close it no avail. I resorted to having to ask in reception if someone could close it. Other features of this boutique hotel were a toilet with a dodgy handle and a suspect stain that looked like something hadn't flushed. A hole in the tiled bath panel and a filthy carpet. I could go on but you get the gist. We left the room and on our way out the manager apologised for the delay, he couldn't have been nicer especially when I told him about our experiences on arrival. He told us he was on all weekend and to compensate we could have a free drink at the bar whenever we wanted. How lovely we thought they aren't all bad after all
Later that evening we came back changed for diner and decided to redeem our free drink. Guess what no record existed of the offer.
Well at least we had our breakfast to look forward to! And what a breakfast! The hotel has a bakery onsite so we expected something divine, once again we were let down. We received a wooden slab with 2 slices of bread, 2 croissants and 2 pan au chocolates and a bowl of granola with natural yogurt. This continental breakfast (the only thing on offer) left guests with no choice. Not even a bowl of cornflakes, a rice crispy or an egg for us! As I couldn't eat anything but the toast I asked for extra well you would have thought I asked for a thousand pounds! Eventually the toast came and I tentatively asked for more tea anticipating the same reaction. Once again they didn't fail to disappoint. Frustrated I went outside for a cigarette, I had seen people smoke in the area the night before and in the absence of signs I sat down and lit up.
Well anyone would have thought I stood out there and killed a child, I was swiftly told to move. I pointed out there was no sign and that others had been there the day before and she laughed it off. As we waited for the lift back to our room I heard her discuss us, again all of this was played out with an audience.
It got to the point where we avoided the hotel, it wasn't a serene oasis in this big city instead it was somewhere we dreaded going back to. Our long anticipated break destroyed.
Finally when I left the keys back to check out I wasn't told thanks for staying, or even safe trip nooo that would be too nice. I was told nothing, that's right I was completely ignored.
I have stayed all over the world and in many London hotels, I even had the good fortune to stay in a renowned 5 star hotel and please fellow travellers take my advice, this is not a good hotel. Enter at your own risk and remember abandon all hope on entry!! I guarantee you many more competitive hotels, some three star are much much nicer. If you want to experience nasty staff, poor service and shoddily finished rooms then by all means be 'my hotels guest!'

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank jayne o

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Brighton and Hove, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I recently stayed in Myhotel Bloomsbury for a birthday weekend. I can’t rave about this hotel enough, it’s in a brilliant location in London (right by Tottenham Court Road and Oxford Street) the decor and design of the hotel is GORGEOUS and really cool. The staffare lovely and were extremely helpful during our stay, they even gave us two free glasses of champagne as it was my boyfriends birthday. It’s the perfect hotel if you want to be in the centre of London (close to nightlife/shops/attractions).

Room Tip: The breakfast is continental (croissants, bread, muesli and yogurt) so if you want a hot breakfast...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank AliceSophia2014
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

The hotel is centrally situated with a choice of tube stations to access nearby. All of the staff were friendly and welcoming. Although the room was on the small side it was sufficient for the two nights that we were staying. It had all of the amenities required and what you would expect.
The best thing about our stay was the breakfast served in Gail's. The staff were extremely welcoming and accommodating each morning and the breakfast of yoghurt and granola, toasted sourdough bread and pastries was the perfect way to start the day.
I would certainly stay here again as it did offer you excellent value for money.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Vilette
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Booked this fairly last minute and so there was minimal choice around this location - paid around £160/night. An easy walk from London St Pancras and Euston stations. No problems with check-in. We had a double room on the first floor which was small but no smaller than others in a similar price bracket - if staying any longer than a weekend or planned on spending a lot of time in the hotel room it would be worth paying more for a bigger room.

Main niggles were the same as those pointed out by the previous reviewer - our room faced the main street so there was a lot of street noise, and add to this the noise of what I presume was someone setting up the bakery / cafe below our room at around 7am each morning - lots of banging.

Blinds don't block out the light so expect to be awake early in the summer. Also it's impossible to have the window open and the blind down at the same time (though with the noise, better to rely on the aircon).

Also selective replenishment of toiletries and tea / coffee supplies - would have been nice to have a bottle of water each day - we are paying for 2 nights so expect the same on both nights!
Extractor fan didn't work, and toilet flush was a bit dodgy.

Location is the redeeming feature, but as there are so many other hotels in this area it would be worth looking around before booking here.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
North Yorkshire
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Booked two rooms for two nights. The rooms are very small, with no space for luggage - nothing like those pictured on the website. Perhaps ok for single occupancy but not for a couple.

We had pre-paid but the hotel had no record of this and tried to charge again, even when presented with my bank statement.

The extractor in the bathroom doesn't work, toiletries were not replenished. Checkin was very slow. Lots of noise from street below.

The worst part was that we were unable to sleep as there are no curtains and the blackout blind is too small for the window- by 4am the room was full of day light.

For the price (we paid £150/ night) I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank elle11f
Norrkoping, Sweden
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We went on a combined honeymoon/family trip with our 1 year old. We were really excited about this trip, since it was such a long time ago we were in London last.

When we arrived, the staff greeted us with big smiles and showed us up to our room. We had a double superior room on the fourth floor, facing the street. Being in London, the view wasn´t very exciting, but since we were so high up, we could see some things anyway. :-) Street noise wasn´t an issue. The room was in great order, we´re from Sweden and are used to great quality even in cheap hotels/motels, and we weren´t disappointed. Our son had his own little cot, with a stuffed animal, a moose (very cute) in the corner. He even got his own bathrobe! :-)

The room was cleaned every day, as you would expect, and done to a very satisfactory level. Every time we stepped out of the lift, the staff greeted us with a smile.

Breakfast. The breakfast staff were very accommodating with us, making room for our wee one´s cart. They loved the little guy and he flirted with all of them. :-) We usually eat wholegrain foods for breakfast and to us, a croissant isn´t part of our breakfast routine. The breakfast is probably aimed more toward southern Europeans if anything, and a bit small for a fullgrown man. It tasted very good, though, and felt fresh and homemade. If you like coffee, you´re in for a treat. I´m very picky when it comes to my espressos and I´m happy to say this was one of the best I´ve ever tasted! Italian machines work wonders!

+ Enviromentally friendly bathroom products!
+ Great staff (The fact I don´t know any names is because I didn´t ask :-D)
+ Big room
+ Modern and well kept after
+ Near Oxford Street and British Museum plus many other sights.

- Hotel starts showing its age, a little. A few detail touch ups would do wonders.
- Had to buy a little more breakfast, see above.

Would we return? Absolutely, no questions asked!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Barrax76
Southampton
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

Booked at very last minute to extend our weekend in London. Cost£99 so I didn't have particularly high expectations, however I was more than happy. It's not luxurious, however is in a great location 3 minutes walk from Tottenham court road tube, 15 minutes from Leicester square, oxford street shops on doorstep).

There is a pub next door however it's not open especially late so was not noisy. Bakery within hotel looked lovely, we did not have time to eat.

The room was an adequate size for London, not hugely spacious but functional. The smellies were nice and great selection of tea/coffee. Large tv with desk and seating area.

Bed was comfy enough and we slept well. Thankfully it was air conditioned as it was a hot evening!

Checkin and out was faultless.

Would not hesitate to stay again as it's a great location.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple