“A wonderful place to stay”
Review of Hotel 41

Hotel 41
Ranked #1 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 5 June 2011

This was our first visit to Hotel 41. We had high expectations based upon other reviews in Trip Advisor, and these expectations were easily met and even exceeded. The location is ideal – just a short walk to Buckingham Palace in one direction, and minutes in the other direction to Victoria Station/the underground. The hotel is small and intimate. You are met at the entrance by an attendant who takes you up one level on the elevator and walks you to the executive lounge. All 20 or so rooms are located on this level. The lounge also serves as the hotel restaurant, check-in desk, and concierge desk. It is very attractive and homey. Friends of ours took the train from Birmingham so that we could see a London show together. We really liked being able to welcome them in the hotel lounge before the show, as it had the same feel as if we had invited them into our own living room.

We often like being able to eat smaller amounts food at various times of the day, and the hotel made this very easy. Various kinds of small snacks were available for free between meals, and we could order a lighter fare at pretty much any time. The hotel staff went out of their way to provide us with any type of food we wanted at any particular time. They had provided us with a bottle of champagne as a welcoming present for our eight-night stay. We explained that we didn’t drink alcoholic beverages, and the champagne was quickly substituted with soft drinks. We asked for ice one evening; it was delivered to our room along with lemon, lime, and olives. On subsequent evenings the bucket of ice with the lemon, lime, and olives were provided without asking, as the staff learned our particular needs and sought to anticipate them.

The hotel staff treated us superbly. Part of this was because there was a high ratio of staff to guests, but it was more than this. The hotel prides itself on its service, and this is evident in many ways. For example, Sunday was a down day for us as we accustomed ourselves to the time change by remaining in our room for most of the day. We had expected that our room would not be made up that day – as would certainly be the case in most any other hotel. However the maid service showed up at 8 PM Sunday evening to make up our room!

All of the staff was wonderful, but we came to have our favorites. For example, Rita's service at meal time was effortless, gracious and attentive to detail. She made us feel at home. Jean and PJ's service set a perfect tone our first 24-36 hours at the hotel. They gave us impeccable service.

We love London and we will definitely return from time to time. We are spoiled now, and the only hotel we will consider for future stays is Hotel 41.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Danny38

Reviewed 5 June 2011

Decided to go big ($$$) on this trip to London, and we're so glad we stayed at 41. Total of 4 nights in Room 17. Impeccable service, we were treated like gold. Perfect location for both walking and for hopping on the tube. Only complaint - toilet in room took some getting used to; problem apparently fixed after we left. We will definitely and absolutely stay at this amazing hotel again. Worth every penny.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Luvgoodtrips
Reviewed 5 June 2011

The service here is absolutely fabulous. The staff will accommodate whatever (and I do mean WHATEVER!) you could possibly want or need even before your arrival in London. They are superb, friendly & nice and are on top of everything they do. The location is prime and the rooms are excellently kept up. They offer endless amenities in your room (even a towel warming rack in the bathroom) and the dećor is a beautiful, in a classic yet chic London style with gorgeous woodwork throughout. The beds are very comfortable and there are plenty of restaurants and shops in the vicinity. Trust me.. This is the place you want to be while staying in London!!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank LoveEurope572
Reviewed 4 June 2011

I was in London on business as a solo traveler and wanted a hotel close to the heart of town and one that i felt comfortable to stay in by myself. The Hotel 41 exceeded my expectations and at night i could not wait to return to the hotel and sit by the fire and have dinner and drinks. The staff was lovely and could not have been more accommodating. The hotel is a gem!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank klmccarthy23
Reviewed 31 May 2011

Incredible hotel and impeccable service! One of my top 3 all-time favorites. I chose Hotel 41 to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary based on its high Trip Advisor ranking, and the hotel and staff lived up to my very high expectations.

My wife and I arrived in London at 7:00 AM on the overnight flight from Houston. We arrived at the hotel at 9:00 AM, well before normal check-in time, yet we were welcomed with a glass of champagne and shown to our room so we could freshen up.

We received attentive service throughout our stay; the staff is very friendly and eager to help. They paid attention to the details: when the anniversary cheesecake they sent to the room went uneaten, they asked if we didn't like it. When I told them that I had dropped it on the floor (after too much anniversary champagne) another appeared in our room that evening.

The hotel is located two blocks from Victoria Station (the Underground), although many tourist sites (Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey) are within easy walking distance. Several nice pubs in the area as well; I particularly liked the Westminster Arms.

We also enjoyed the food at the hotel, particularly the breakfast buffet (and I'm not a person who likes buffets). In the evenings they have an honor bar, snacks (including a very nice cheese plate) and an opportunity to meet some of the other guests in the common room.

Our room was comfortable and very nicely furnished. We loved the decor of the hotel in general; lots of dark wood, yet clean, bright and open. It is a unique hotel comprised of a single floor of what used to be offices, although you could never tell that today.

I used the complimentary computers every morning to check e-mail. I was given a pot of wonderful hand pressed coffee to help me wake up. There is no on-site fitness center, but guests are given passes to the LA Fitness center located one block from the hotel (I used it once and found it acceptable).

I like to try new things, but will stay at Hotel 41 again if I ever return to London.

Room Tip: I booked our room online with no issues.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank TikiBarFly
Reviewed 27 May 2011

We stayed at Hotel 41 with friends for three nights in April 2011 based on the excellent reviews on TripAdvisor. We were not disappointed. The location, small-size, breakfast quality, decor, ambiance, and attentive staff make this a memorable hotel. After an initial problem with our room (small and awkward despite having paid for an upgrade to a larger room) we were moved to a larger and more comfortable one with which we were very pleased. The staff was very helpful regarding this issue, as they were with all aspects of our stay. Do insist on an adequately-sized room (all are of different sizes and configurations) but in all other respects this is an excellent choice for a central London location close to Victoria Station.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank hawkridge_10
Reviewed 21 May 2011

My daughter and I recently returned from a trip to London for the Royal Wedding and a 6 night stay at Hotel 41. Trip Advisor should allow 10 stars for those hotels that truly exceed expectations in every way!

I had e-mailed Manager Antoinette several times prior to our visit and she was wonderful answering my questions and making dinner and tea reservations for us so that everything would be in place upon our arrival.

It was most welcome to arrive at Hotel 41 after a long overseas flight and be welcomed with our choice of beverage while checking in. Even though we arrived at 10 a.m., our room was ready! It was great to take a little time to freshen up and unpack a few things before heading out to sightsee.

We were very pleased that our room request for a room with a view of the Royal Mews was granted. I enjoyed seeing the riders taking their horses out to exercise in the morning. It was also fantastic to see the royal vehicles and carriages come and go for the Royal Wedding. The hotel's location just a block from Buckingham Palace and a couple blocks from Victoria Station was perfect.

Everything about our stay here was perfect. The room was large by European standards and had a good sized closet with a mirror on the door. We had a room with two twin beds and our room also included a sitting area with a small sofa. The bathroom was wonderful. It had a large, deep tub (I loved it!) and also a separate shower across the bathroom. The Penhaligon amenities are amazing. They were restocked every day even though some of our bottles were still half full. Amenities included shampoo, hair conditioner, bars of soap, showel gel and bath essence. Also in the bathroom were toothbrush and shaving kits.

Our package included full English breakfast every day, a cream tea, and a 3 course dinner. All were incredible. It usually took about 20 minutes for the English breakfast to arrive once ordered. The scrambled eggs, streaky bacon and hashbrowns were excellent. We could also help ourselves to the Continental breakfast items. The offerings included excellent fruits, meat, cheese, pastries and about 6 choices of cereals.

The cream tea, which we asked to have served in the Hotel 41 Executive Lounge rather than in the Lounge of the adjoining Rubens Hotel, was a nice treat. My daughter needed gluten free items, so we requested that in advance. We were served scones which were out of this world. The best we have ever had - we couldn't believe they were gluten free! The clotted cream, jam and chocolate spread they were served with were excellent. Our 3 course dinner was also very nice. We also asked to have our dinner served in the Hotel 41 Executive Lounge because it was such a warm, relaxing atmosphere. There were hardly ever other guests around, so it was a nice respite from the busy streets of London. Staff were happy to oblige. I ordered the Beef Carpaccio as my appetizer, the sea bass as my main course and the Sticky Toffee Pudding for dessert. It was all very, very good.

We were very pleasantly surprised at the afternoon "snack" offerings set out in the Executive Lounge. I didn't expect the large bowls full of Belgian chocolates, dried fruits, granola bars and bags of chips to be complimentary! The iced lemon and mint water was wonderful when we came back to the hotel for an afternoon break. We also found an ice bucket along with a dish of green olives and lemon slices delivered to our room every afternoon.

Plunder the Pantry was fantastic! Every evening starting at 8:30, guests are allowed to help themselves to a wonderful array of things in the Executive Lounge. The smoked seafood (tuna, salmon and mackerel) was incredible. One night there was the best shrimp. Very fresh, high quality items. There was also salad, fruit, olives, cheese, several types of wonderful, crusty bread, sliced meats and South African jerky. Everything was so good. This alone made staying at Hotel 41 worthwhile!

The staff of Hotel 41 were professional yet friendly. In the morning, they asked where we were headed for the day. In the evening, they inquired as to what we had done that day and whether we enjoyed it. On the day of the Royal Wedding, Assistant Manager Monika made sure to give us 2 small British flags to wave so that we would fit right in with the celebration going on in the streets! When we left, I felt like we were leaving friends behind!

I do have to give a plug to Costco Travel for offering the package that included our stay at Hotel 41. Every part of our package was perfect, from the private car transfer to and from Heathrow, to the hotel, to the cream tea, the full English breakfast daily and the 3 course dinner. The price was incredible for everything that our package included! We had a "trip of a lifetime experience" thanks to Costco Travel.

We LOVED Hotel 41! We are considering another trip to London next year and would not consider staying anywhere else. In fact, we are already excited just thinking about the prospect! Hotel 41 set a standard against which all of our future hotel stays will be measured. I can pretty safely say that none will be as magnificent, relaxing or as memorable as the stay we had at Hotel 41. We will remember our stay here for the rest of our lives. Many, many thanks to the Hotel 41 staff for making our stay such an incredible experience.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family