“Excellent Hotel”

Ranked #1 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Sydney, Australia
“Excellent Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2011

We stayed at this Hotel as past of out honeymoon. It is only a small hotel but the service was excellent.
We were made to feel very welcome and they were very efficient.One night we returned to our room and it had rose petals and candles , another night a honeymoon cake
It is located behind Buckingham Palace which was good as the Palace was open for summer viewing so it made it easy for us to walk there as well as watch changing of the guards.
Couldn't have asked for a better place to stay.One of the best.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Martincm

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2011

We stayed here for our honeymoon in London in September 2011 and without a doubt this was the best hotel we had ever stayed in. The staff were amazingly helpful and assisted with everything from planning our days to making our stay as great as possible. The plunder the pantry is fantastic and prices for drinks in the lounge are very reasonable. The beds are extremely comfortable and we both had great night sleeps. The location is great as Victoria station is a quick walk away and a major tube hub for London. Very close to Buckingham Palace, short stroll to Big Ben and there is a great pub Phoenix around the corner, Highly recommend this place to anyone and we will definitely be back again and again.

2 Thank Peter E
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2011

I contacted Hotel 41 for a last-minute reservation to stay for a night on our anniversary weekend. The residence manager went above and beyond my expectation on making our weekend fantastic - great room, champagne, anniversary cake, romantic turn-down with rose petals everywhere, chocolate dipped strawberries, and so and so on. And, more than these 'things', each member of staff was helpful and treated us personally. Great location to visit Buckingham Palace, the Royal Mews, etc. It was my best London hotel experience, ever. My husband loved the 'club' feel of the lounge/library area. Can't wait to go again and I have already told all of my friends to book there.

1 Thank TracyAP
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2011

This hotel is by far the best hotel stay I have ever experienced. The staff at the hotel go above and beyond to make sure that you are comfortable and every need of yours is met. My partner and I stayed here in September of 2011 for a week and wished we could stay longer. We stayed in king sized bedroom and the room was kept immaculate at all times. We spent most of the time out in the city seeing the sights, but we could tell that housekeeping would visit more than once a day to make sure that every time you returned to your room, it was is pristine condition. Other little touches that make the room even more special are the turndown service in the evening, the dim blue light in the bathroom to allow you to use the rest room in the middle of the night without having to turn on the lights, and the good thermostat controls for the room. To say the staff is responsive and attentive is an understatement. Everyone there is friendly and is interested in what you are doing that day and if you are enjoying your stay. They were very helpful in procuring Buckingham Palace tickets and London Eye tickets for us in advance so that we could avoid having to wait in line. This was done seamlessly. The "Plunder the Pantry" feature in the evening was not what I expected, but by no means disappointing. I had expected just minor snack foods, sodas and water, but instead a fine array of beverages, breads, salad, cheese and lunchmeats are available and this is a wonderful service to have especially when one comes in from a rather late evening. I also want to praise Antoinette and Janine on the staff. They both really took the time to get to know us and make sure everything was to our satisfaction. It was. Antoinette was kind enough to provide us with a free afternoon tea in the Executive Lounge just because we were on the go a lot and did not get to spend a lot of time in the lounge. The tea was superb and this unexpected but kind offer was greatly appreciated. Janine was also charming and friendly and provided us with a farewell selection of fresh fruit which was another lovely touch. After this lovely stay, I simply will not consider staying anywhere else in London but here. Lastly, I must comment on the very few negative reviews I read on Trip Advisor concerning this hotel. After reading them and staying here I realized the people who wrote these reviews must be individuals who are impossible to please and wish to complain about the tiniest thing. If you cannot enjoy a stay at this hotel, there is something seriously wrong with you.

Room Tip: If you are a more private individual you may wish to request a room between the lift and the executi...
3 Thank cdhinhou
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2011

Look and feel of a private club and the staff were welcoming and friendly. Very quiet and very comfortable bed. We just had breakfasts at the hotel, quite well done. We had an excellent dinner at the "Library" at the Rubens hotel next door, first rate. Highly recomended if you love to walk and take in Westminster.

Room Tip: The closet space in our room was inadequate, not sure if this is the case with all the rooms. If yo...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 1943Canuck
mallorca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

In fact it comprises one floor of the unremarkable Rubens Hotel, in, as far as I'm concerned, one of the least attractive wedges of Central London. It was my fifth choice, and I was getting desperate.
But...lovely surprise...it's delightful; reminds me in many ways of the late, much lamented 121 Jermyn Street...and in fact the hilarious Annie McCrann, the splendid ex-manager of the latter, is now with the same group and popped-in for tea and reminiscence one afternoon (their intelligence network is thus impressive!)
The hotel is a mixture of chic modernity and Edwardian charm, and appears to be run almost entirely by efficient, charming, and pretty girls from Poland. (With the exception of a lovely bloke who is, I think, the Concierge, and is happily henpecked).
This is now one of my two top choices for London visits.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank godfatherMallorca
MalcolmHendry, General Manager at Hotel 41, responded to this review, 23 September 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of 41 on Tripadvisor. I am most grateful for your feedback, which is such a valuable source of information for me, regardless of whether it is good or bad, and helps me monitor the service we provide.

It is wonderful to know that you enjoyed the charm and atmosphere of 41 so much. With regards your comment on the location of 41, it is true that 41 occupies part of the same building as The Rubens at the Palace Hotel, as with some other properties too. We are very proud of our links with The Rubens but equally proud of our individuality as a stand alone 5 red star boutique hotel. The Rubens is a far more traditional four star deluxe English hotel, and there is not much that can be changed about the facade of the building, as both hotels are part of a larger complex that runs the length of Buckingham Palace Road alongside Buckingham Palace.

As I look after both of these Red Carnation Hotels properties, I would be delighted to show you around The Rubens at the Palace Hotel on your next visit to 41, so that you can better compare these two hotels.

I do hope that I will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to 41 in person in the not too distant future.

Yours sincerely,

Malcolm Hendry
Raleigh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

Staff very friendly and helpful. Lounge is very attractive with leather chairs and small snacks throughout the day. Just across the street from Buckingham Palace. Rooms are small, but comfortable. Easy walk to all Westminster attractions. Rooms are quiet with comfortable pillows and linens. Two blocks to Victoria station. Highly recommend hotel. A small caution, when emailing hotel, the staff who respond work for its sister hotel next door, the Ruebens and often don't share information about airport transport or dinner reservations with 41 Hotel staff. You should double check a few days prior to arriving.

3 Thank parksRaleigh