“Best kept secret in London”
Review of Hotel 41

Hotel 41
Ranked #1 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 14 November 2011

I was curious to know what the fuss was all about at Hotel 41. A 5* hotel in London I never heard off? Worth a try. Boy, was I in for a great surprise! The hotel is opposite the Palace mews adjacent to the Rubens hotel. You need to know this because cab drivers do not know, which in itself is a surprise, black cabbies with the "knowledge" who do not know this 5* hotel?

This is part of the allure of "41". You feel you are entering into a private member's club and this is how they make you feel from the minute you open the rather unassuming street door. A small entrance clad in marble and oak takes you to a single golden elevator that takes you directly to the 5th floor. Only 28 rooms or so and hence the exclusivity of this place. I feel like I am giving away a secret (despite the hundreds of reviews here!).

You are taken to the lounge which is both the reception and the restaurant/bar and business lounge of this boutique hotel. It looks like an old gentleman's English club, all wood paneling and the old elegant charm of a bygone era, but with the modern touches of any top hotel.

The Staff are young and very well trained. They make you feel like a VIP. The Resident Manager Frederic was specially attentive and accommodating when by mistake I overstayed one more night than my original reservation. I was not aware of this and while I was shopping in London they were left with the task to tell the other guests the room was still occupied. I can only imagine how difficult this was both for the annoyed guests and for the hotel Staff that did not understand what happened. I was oblivious to it until I returned to the hotel at midnight, to their dismay now thinking something had happened to me as they could not contact me all day. They were genuinely relieved to see me and I clarified that I was actually leaving the next morning and that it was a misunderstanding as my flight was Sunday. They were all smiles and understanding and the following morning I vacated my room before breakfast to help the relocated guests. I know they took care of them despite the difficulties and they never made me feel bad. I believe that you can tell excellent service by experiencing how people react to problems and they clearly showed me that they are in a class of their own at Hotel 41. Thanks!

I stayed in a junior suite, duplex room with a small sitting room downstairs and a bedroom upstair. Dark wood, black velvet chairs, fantastic mattress and a bathroom to die for. Separate jacuzzi with TV on the wall. Separate shower with a candle lit every night before you get back to your room. Linen is 5 stars too. 2 more Tvs, one in bedroom and one in sitting room. Ipod charger and radio. 24-hour room service, Free WIFI, shoe-shinning service, etc. My junior suite was a good size, being a duplex, but not large per American standards, however I know you can get smaller rooms, and this being London is normal, but i would not what to be in a smaller room.

The lounge bar/ restaurant is great. Try their excellent full English breakfast. After work, relax in the lounge with a drink and some complimentary "tapas".

I will certainly return, either for business or pleasure. In either case you are going to get a superb personalized service that you will remember.

Now, you are not a secret any more :)

Room Tip: If you like larger sizes than the usual London ones, try a Junior suite or a proper suite
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
8  Thank julio b
Write a ReviewReviews (2,949)

Reviewed 10 November 2011

The Hotel 41 is the best Hotel in London, bar none. You will not be disappointed. From the first time you walk in to the time you leave this perfect hotel you will not be disappointed. The button on your room phone says it all “anything anytime”

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank suzycreancheese0
Reviewed 10 November 2011

My wife and I spent 2 nights at the hotel 41 last week. We really enjoyed this stay. We loved the fact that this hotel combines the quality of a 5 stars with the charm of a small hotel. People there are very kind and do everything to make your stay perfect. Last but not least, the location is perfect for a short stay in the city center! We will definitely come back for our next romantic stay in London.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank wordtrip
Reviewed 9 November 2011

This is a hotel that caters for your every whim....my wife booked a weekend in London for my 40th and choose the 41 from the comments posted here and from their wonderfully descriptive website. After a delay on the flight and a bit of stress we arrived to be welcomed by champagne, strewn roses and a beautiful birthday cake.The stress started to disappear!!! After trip to the west-end we returned to a wonderful late nite supper followed by drinks from the 'honesty bar'.....you serve your own drinks!!!!! Room was decadent and sexy!!! We had a wonderful meal on the following night downstairs in Rubens............as part of the same chain it was up to the same standard......i only wish it was my 40th every year!!!!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank erinjude
Reviewed 9 November 2011

We have been staying at the "best" reputation hotels in USA & Europe so far ...but there is no one we can compare hotel 41 against with....
... Just briefly :  It was and excellent costumer service like no other! They made us feel home at all times, the room was always perfectly neat and cozy with cute little details everywhere & every day. :) it's worth every single pound! breakfast was fresh and tasty! And the best of all "staff" they have an awesome crew! Including Frederich, Magda, Monica, Victorial and Komal,  we felt in love with everyone working there as they were always so genuinely  friendly and ready to help and accomplish any requests...I reckon once you try this hotel you will Always want to go back and your expectations level will grow bigger  and will hardly be reached again...
***We are now at Berlin Ritz Carlton and it is no-where near as nice and good as our 41 :( we miss it already!
No wonder they are n1 in trip advisor!

• Stayed: November 2011
6  Thank Dklectic
Reviewed 8 November 2011

We landed on the doorstep of "41" after a disappointing one night stay in another tony part of the city--felt like we'd died and gone to heaven!!! While its all been said before, there simply aren't enough superlatives for describing "41"!

This haven in the heart of London nails luxury and style. But compared with other world class hotel/resorts we have experienced, what catapults "41" to the very top is staff quality and warmth--truly beyond compare! The team works together seamlessly and like a family (though more perfect than a family--lol). We could acknowledge more than a half dozen staff by name--rare among hotel patrons--but wouldn't want to risk leaving anyone out inadvertently. We will always cherish our memories of thoughtful personal interactions, along with impeccable service, throughout our 5 night stay.

The inviting Executive Lounge was our favorite place to begin each day and unwind each night, with incredible breakfasts, beverages, delectable snacks and "plundering the pantry" (a term we've adopted for home). Romantic turn-down gifts provided a sweet surprise nightly. We also valued complimentary access to a fantastic fitness facility nearby, with an excellent pool and yoga classes. We had one of our best dinners in London at the BBar restaurant next door--fabulous South African cuisine. The hotel-procured airport car/driver was a perfect and stress-free endcap to our stay.

Bravo "41"! We hope to return!

Room Tip: Our room (4110) was superb; quiet, spacious and beautifully appointed with luxurious bathroom.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank FingerLakesDeb
Reviewed 6 November 2011

yep, so we checked in on the friday, and we were quite blown away. just arrived from paris, did our usual trick of walking past the place, but once inside we felt like we were in a film.

champagne for check in??? go on then! was all very good, got shown to the room, unbelievable! very large floor space, massive bed and they even accommodated my fussy none feathery pillow needs. went and played scrabble in the lounge, got a burger (the food's great, by the way) and some beer down, all good.

however! we noticed soon after that the toilet wouldn't work. i'm not too fussy so i had a bash at fixing it, but to no avail. after that, the TV packed up. at this point, as we were paying close to 300quid a night, we were left a bit "hmmmmm" like. so anyway, we went out and had a good night in soho.

we went down for breakfast in the morning and mentioned the problems with the room to the staff, and to be fair she looked quite concerned that we weren't satisfied. i mean, for 300quid a night, it'd be nice not to worry about the toilet blowing up. so they were very accommodating, offered to switch our room immediately, which was great. so we popped off to the tate.

upon our return, we were shown to our new room, and it was a suite at no extra charge. blimey! we were a bit stunned, i expected a new room, but this had a staircase in it and a fireplace in the downstairs lounge. we felt quite ridiculous, but in a good way! needless to say, the suite(!!!!) was huge, and the bathroom worked and the TV('s) were all good and happy.

to sum it all up, we can have no complaints at all really!!! we were a bit disappointed with the quality of the first room, but when they pulled out the suite for us, we couldn't believe it!!!

cheers to everyone at 41! it was (ultimately) a great experience!!!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple