“Just perfect, an oasis of peace in London”
Review of Hotel 41

Hotel 41
Ranked #1 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Milano
“Just perfect, an oasis of peace in London”
Reviewed 5 December 2011

This was our second time at the Hotel 41 and we decided to come back as our first stay had been truly great and romantic. This time we were less busy than the first one and we could enjoy the hotel more and I have to say they can create such an amazing atmosphere that one enjoy almost most being at the hotel than being in the city. Every single member of the staff if always there to help, everyone is kind and caring and they all do their very best to assure you the best possible vacation. Rooms are comfortables and our had a lovely fireplace which was great, I think the best night was when we just stayed in bed sipping hot chocolate and watching a dvd at the fireplace light! We also managed to have a pre dinner cocktail in the lounge every night and have to say the christmas setting made it extra special! Hope one day we can celebrate New Year's Eve there! About food...the first time we didn't try cooked breakfast but this time we did and be sure not to miss the egg royals, simply excellent! But the best part of the hotel, a part from romantic turndown, is that is a truly oasis of peace. London is very crowded and busy but when after the short walk from Victoria tube station you enter in the hotel you simply relax...there's lounge music playing, a wonderful relaxing smell everywhere and being a very small hotel you know that if you decide to go in the lounge instead than in your room it will be peaceful and you will be pampered from the staff. Really recommended for couples and for those looking for a truly "royal" holiday!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank LaSignoraLaura

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 5 December 2011

This was my fourth stay at 41 and my first during christmas time, so when I arrived in London, I was excited to see what my "home away from home" would look like.

Arriving at the hotel I was greeted by a wonderful christmas decoration around the door, which made me feel comfy the moment I stepped in (even more comfy than normally, which is impressive). I was sleeping in room 4111 this time, and my high expectations (I had slept in one of the suites last time) were instantly fulfilled when I discovered my room had a fireplace. Espescially during christmas time this is a wonderful feature to have in your hotel bedroom.

The room was big, with one window facing to the rear of the hotel in the direction of Victoria station, the other, in the bathroom, towards Buckingham Palace. One of the things that never cease to amaze me is the water pressure in the shower, which is enormous. You get the feeling of standing under a waterfall and I don't know any other place in the world where you step out of a shower more refreshed than at this hotel.

Breakfast was excellent, as usual, and although I always eat the same thing (smoked salmon with cream cheese in a bagel) from the menu, I can tell that everything on the menu is excellent from the feedback I got from my companion.

On my second night I was staying in the Lounge until around half past 2, and being the only guest in the Lounge at that time, had the tranquility to enjoy sitting in front of the Lounge's fireplace and listening to the music. A wonderful retreat from the busy city of London, while still actually being in the middle of the action. I also had a very nice chat with the night concierge, Peter from Hungary, at that night who I have to give a special mention here for making me feel like staying in the home of long time friends.

Hotel 41 never ceases to amaze me. It's not just a hotel, it really has become a home for me, and I love coming here. I am so happy that I stumbled over this luxurious gem 2 years ago and I'm looking forward to returning as soon as possible.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
8 Thank ElToroN3gro
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 3 December 2011

We booked because of travel advisor reviews. On arrival the lady at the lobby greeted us with enthusiasm and explained how the hotel worked. It would be easy to miss the entrance, a discrete door between a restaurant and the Reubens Hotel, but the taxi man knew it - usually a good sign. Three staff attended to us in the executive lounge. Our room was super with it's own gas fire, comfy bed and bathroom which had a real bath and a separate shower. We went with the hotel recommendation for dinner an
Indian restaurant Quillion which was great. Later we noticed some faults in the room to do with lighting and tv. Next morning the hotel fixed these and offered free drinks as an apology - always the test of an establishment, what it does when things go wrong.

• Stayed November 2011
8 Thank Clontarf6
Maine, USA
Reviewed 30 November 2011

We stayed at the 41 for over a week and every day was a delight. It is well situated for tourists in particular with Buckingham Palace a 5 minute walk in one direction and Victoria underground and train station about 5 minutes walk in the other direction.
Our room was very comfortable, we stayed in an executive king room and had plenty of space. The bed was so cosy and wonderful, it was hard to get out of some mornings! The room, including the bathroom, was spotlessly cleaned every day. We appreciated the little touches at turndown every evening including restful music and weather information for the next day.
We had breakfast included in our rate and afternoon tea during our stay, the breakfasts were delicious and filling and the afternoon tea was fantastic! In particular the pastries during breakfast and the tea service were scrumptious.
I agree with other reviewers that the employees are what make this hotel. The staff is so accommodating, friendly, kind and thoughtful. They go out of their way to make sure your experience at 41 is your idea of perfection.
Our many thanks to Frederic, Monika, Victoria, Rita and all the other employees who helped make our stay so delightful! We could not have been happier with our stay.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
11 Thank marme12
Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed 29 November 2011

I have never stayed in a 5 star hotel with such a small double bed. Our room was small, with a tiny bathroom. The bathroom tiles had been partially patched, leaving an obvious rectangle on the wall where perhaps something had been removed. On our first night, after asking not to be disturbed, and going to bed early after a long journey, we were woken by reception phoning to check that everything was alright with our room.
We also had a sheet with a small hole in it and a towel that gave way on the edge.
The staff were all very friendly, a bit too friendly for our introverted selves! We couldn't get from our room to the street without saying hello to two or three staff members on the way.
In summary, if friendly, attentive staff, and a cosy atmosphere are what defines a good hotel for you, you will like this hotel, as many others have.
If however you prefer privacy, spaciousness and opulence, then you may well be disappointed, as we were.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
9 Thank 22KiwiTraveller22
MalcolmHendry, General Manager at Hotel 41, responded to this review, 15 December 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of 41 on Tripadvisor. I am most grateful for your feedback, which is such a valuable source of information for me, regardless of whether it is good or bad, and helps me monitor the service we provide.

I am aware that following your stay we exchanged correspondence in which you raised your concerns and allowed me to follow these up with my team, and I am very thankful to you for this opportunity. Whilst I can only apologise for your disappointment, please accept my assurance that I have spent time with my team here and have reviewed the specific points you raised.

I am very sorry that your experience was not as positive as that of others on this site but thank you for sharing this with us and highlighting an inconsistency through your stay.

Yours sincerely,

Malcolm Hendry
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 29 November 2011

My wife and I just returned home after 3 great nights spent at Hotel 41. From the location close to Buckingham Palace, Victoria Tube Station, and many of the have-to-see sights of London to the fantastic service from the 41 staff, you cannot go wrong with this lovely boutique hotel. Some folks may say it is expensive, but not if you consider the gourmet breakfast, snacks all during the day, and evening hours-dourves. You need only to find a place to eat lunch while you are out enjoying the sights. This was our second stay at the 41 and it only re-inforced the wonderful experience we had in 2005.
This is a must stay hotel.

Room Tip: See if a room is available overlooking the Royal Mews across the street.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
11 Thank DonHo2
Southern California
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Our family alway consults Trip Advisor before reserving hotel accommodations. The reviews of this hotel were ALL positive; especially about the staff. My father served in the 8th Air Corp during WWII; so one of the reasons for my trip to London was to visit WWII memorials to the "Mighty Eighth." The hotel concierge (Julian) was so helpful in this regard (finding the addresses, printing out directions and what tube/trains to take). I stayed at the hotel for 10 days and was treated royally. The king-bed room was clean and very comfortable. The location is excellent...block from Buckingham Palace and St. James Park; down the Pall Mall to the Nat'l Gallery etc, etc. But it is the hotel staff that makes 41 such a great place to stay. I will return soon

Room Tip: Email ahead to describe the type of room you are looking for and why you are visiting the city.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo