“60th Birthday Celebration” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
“60th Birthday Celebration”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

My son and I have just returned from a three night stay at the 41, celebrating my 60th birthday and I can't praise the hotel highly enough. It was wonderful in every way (apart from the television which was rather small and old) from its perfect central location near Buckingham Palace and Victoria Station, the comfort and warmth of its rooms with so many extra personal touches (there was a delicious birthday cake waiting for me on arrival) and, last but not least, the staff. The service is outstanding, very friendly but courteous and extremely personal. Nothing is too much trouble and they always asked after our day when we returned to the hotel. Everyone helped to make our stay and my birthday celebration so very special.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Kathy M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (351)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Hull
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

Fabulous Hotel,lovely staff,felt very safe in a wonderful setting.Buckingham Palace just over the road.Hospitality was second to none.Had the breakfast and the afternoon tea,both were excellant.Stayed in many London Hotels,because my daughter lives there,and I visit three or four times a year,so we stay in different Hotels,its like a little holiday each visit.This was the best ever,The room was beautiful,many little touchs,chocs,candles,olives,lovely dressing gowns and slippers,the fire was light when we returned from an evening in the lounge and a little trip in the night air.It was a little expensive,but hey what price a lovely memory,you can't put a price on that.Would love to re visit,maybe at Xmas,Thanks again to all the lovely staff,for a lovely Birthday,still eating the fab. chocs,managed to keep them for myself.

Room Tip: Any room,has the same high quality and service,Don't worry,all are quiet,all on the same floor,h...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Christine S
Copiague, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2012

We came here for business/romantic trip. We loved this hotel. Staff was very accommodating. They sent us to a great breakfast place around the corner and also arranged a private car for our return to the airport. My husband was working so I checked in alone and I was very early, so they took our bags and I went exploring the area. When I came back everything was ready. Room wasn't big but we enjoyed the cozy feel to it. We had after dinner drinks sent to our room at night which was very romantic. The location is also a plus. Bucking ham palace is barely a block away and the gardens were beautiful to take a nap or people watch.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Clonket
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2012

This is a very personal Hotel with great service. We felt as though we were a guest not just another number.

When you enter the reception/lounge area it feels like you have entered a different world.

The location is brilliant right next to Buckingham Palace. It took the stress out of a London visit as we could walk to many places such as Westminster.

You can pay a lot less for hotels in London but id recommend Hotel 41 as its a different experience. Couldnt fault it.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
9 Thank xCVarneyx
Honolulu, HI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2012

Stayed four wonderful nights at Hotel 41 in December 2011. My wife and daughter felt like British Royalty here. The staff (especially Magdalena and Frederick) went out of their way to make us feel comfortable and welcome. Probably the best service of any hotel we have stayed at in the world. Far superior than some of the Peninsula, Waldorf or other Five Star Hotels we have been blessed to enjoy. I booked the room based on reviews from Tripadvisor. The price was very high and we thought that there would be no way any hotel is worth this kind of money. We were wrong. Hotel 41 is worth the price. Every employee knows your name here. Every employee addresses you when they see you. Every employee asks if your require any assistance. From making restaurant reservations to hailing a cab. The staff always was there to assist us. We LOVED the lounge where you can enjoy a cocktail at all hours of the day or night. Our room was a small suite that had two rooms and two bathrooms. While the bathroom was small, it more than met our needs. Cannot say enough positive about our experience at Hotel 41. As we left to Southampton to take a cruise, our entire family said we wanted to stay longer at Hotel 41. We also wanted to wake each day to Magdalena's big smile and unequaled service. Our thanks to the ownership and staff at Hotel 41. Really a memorable experience!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank drewomite
Edinburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2012

You really have to go out your way to find something to criticise about this hotel!! I have stayed in bigger hotels, with bigger rooms, with better views...... But to be frank, having regard to the standard of service that you get here, it matters not what the view is. I would not have cared if the view had been of Baghdad after a bad night. It would still get the five stars.

The room was small.... We did not complain, but on day 2 one of the staff came up and said that if we would like to move to a larger room he would arrange that. The one we were in was perfectly adequate and we did not move. They have thought of everything in terms of comfort - even in the desk they had paper clips, stapler, scissors, and all kinds of little bits and bobs you just might need. Free wifi!! Hurrah!!! (my regular readers will know that this is a hobby horse of mine). Extremely comfortable bed - mattress topper of feathers - cracking crisp white linen; hot water bottle in the bed for us; quiet room..... just about everything.

The staff were absolutely superb. Special mention is Roman at the front of the hotel - who was delightful and prepared to have a bit of a laugh with us. He did claim that the reviews on Tripadvisor were due entirely to him being such a good employee. It may be true.....

The lounge is cozy and welcoming. An honesty bar; excellent free nibbles (not your usual packet of crisps, this one had fantastic cheese, bread, fruit etc etc).

I would go as far as to say that I have never had such good service in any hotel. I highly recommend it. For those who moan that the rooms are not big enough, did they draw this to the attention of the staff? By my reckoning, such is the standard of service, they would have got Roman to knock a couple of rooms together while you were at breakfast if it would make your stay more enjoyable.

Superb; highly recommended. Stay away if you don't like to see people working hard to make you have a good time. I am sure the travel lodge has far bigger rooms, if that is your type of thing.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
31 Thank rstornoway
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at 41 to ring in the New Year in London, following a jaunt to Amsterdam and Paris for a 2-week vacation. I can't think of a better way to kick off our travels. We originally chose 41 after seeing the overwhelmingly positive TripAdvisor reviews, but I must admit I was a little skeptical of the high praise. However, I am happy to report that 41 met - nay, exceeded - all of our wildest expectations. This review is on the long side, but I thought it important to share some specific details and high points:

The Greeting: Our flight arrived at 7 a.m. London time, and even though check-in isn't until afternoon, we went to the hotel to drop off our bags. Upon arriving, the friendly staff greeted us by name and offered us a beverage while we checked in. They then offered us the use of a courtesy room where we could shower and freshen up until our executive king room was ready. This was a life-saver; being able to freshen up allowed us to go out and enjoy a full day in London. Without that shower, we'd have been dragging from exhaustion.

The Room: Our executive king room was lovely and modern. It wasn't huge, but I never expect that in big cities, especially without getting a suite. However, it was nicely sized, and had a sitting area in addition to the bed/armoire/desk area and bathroom. The bathroom was spacious, and the towel warmer was a welcome bonus. Power adapters were already present in the room, so we didn't even end up using the converters we'd brought. A complimentary fruit basket greeted us, and they left fresh olives each evening, which was great after a long day when you're peckish, but not quite ready for dinner. Housekeeping was discreet and thorough, and they gave us turndown service each night (nice detail: they left different little surprises on our pillows each night...chocolate, mints, biscuits, etc.). They also turned on music with the turndown service each night based on our own individual preferences, which created a really nice, homey atmosphere.

The Location: Our days were spent siteseeing; we love to walk, and this hotel was perfectly situated for that. We were able to walk to most of our destinations, and the Victoria tube station is just a few blocks away if you're going somewhere farther (or aren't as fond of walking).

The Food: Definitely plan on eating breakfast at the 41 before you start your day. We tried several different menu items (including waffles, smoked salmon, omelets, etc.) and everything was delicious and elegantly prepared/served. Because of the satisfying breakfast, we usually didn't eat again until dinnertime. We had drinks in the executive lounge a few nights, and this was accompanied by some delicious munchies that are personal recipes of the Red Carnation owner (we liked them so much, we picked up her book). 41 also offers snacks throughout the day in the lounge and "raid the pantry" in the evenings, though we didn't take advantage of that service.

The Service: 41 has a boutique, personal feel; I travel for business a good bit, so having a personalized experience is much preferred over the big chain hotels in my opinion. It's important to note that the staff at 41 are attentive, but not overbearing. It's the kind of place where everyone chips in - the more senior staff are not above taking a drink order, clearing a table, or helping carry your bags as in other hotels. The three managers we worked with most were Remus, Magdalena, and Adam, who were all fantastic. I really wanted to see a particular show at the Young Vic, but I was not able to secure tickets in advance. They not only got us tickets for the sold-out show, but they got us the best seats in the house. Then, they booked us tickets for Billy Elliot and went the extra mile to leave a program for it in our room. The staff always called us by name and inquired about our day and evening when we arrived back at the hotel. We were celebrating our anniversary, so they lit candles and left dessert in our room one night. Overall, by the time we left, I felt like these managers were friends who were genuinely invested in making our experience a memorable one.

To wrap-up, I don't typically write online reviews, so that alone shows what an amazing experience we had. The one negative that came from our stay at 41? It's now the standard by which I judge all other hotels (our hotels in Amsterdam and Paris following 41 were okay, but definitely didn't meet that high bar). My husband and I are already planning another trip to London, and 41 will be our go-to choice from now on.

Room Tip: Fill out 41's guest preference form before you go. This goes a long way to help them personalize...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple