“Amazing hotel”
Review of Hotel 41

Hotel 41
Ranked #1 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 10 April 2013 via mobile

Small rooms, as you'd expect from an London hotel, but this is an amazing hotel none the less. The lounge is very comfortable, the staff are very attentive. I would recommend it but it is expensive. I would stay again

• Stayed: May 2012

Reviewed 8 April 2013

Stayed just before Xmas (sorry bit late catching up), for a pre-xmas break. Breakfast - best in London? Probably. Bed comfortable (stayed in junior suite). They think of everything here that makes you feel the most important person there.
The staff cannot do more for you, they are there just when you need them.
We enjoyed it so much we went back again in March and stayed in the same room.
Also the Library Restaurant in the sister hotel next door is superb.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jonacuk
Reviewed 7 April 2013

We spent 3 nights at Hotel 41 (room 4106) and loved it. We booked the English cooked breakfast option, but could also raid the continental breakfast bar while we waited for our food. We utilised the "Raid the Pantry" service after 8:30pm when we returned from the Lion King show one night, and an evening tour of the Buckingham Palace State Rooms on another. The location is great and we had an easy, leisurely walk with coffee stops and lunch on our first day passing or visiting the following sights - Royal Mews, Queen's Gallery, Admiralty Arch, Horse Guards Parade, Big Ben, London Eye, Palace of Westminster, 10 Downing Street, Trafalgar Square, Nelson's Column, Admiralty Arch, St James's Park. A convenience store, restaurants and shops are behind the hotel and major stores are a short distance away. Staff were kind and caring and even when you didn't ask for something special, the turn down service always brought lovely surprises.
The only strange thing was finding a socket to plug the charger, kettle and hair dryer in. They were all on the floor under the table.

3  Thank N M
Reviewed 7 April 2013

My husband and I stayed there a year ago and, after reading the last reviewer, I felt the need to post. First of all, I have stayed at many 5 star hotels, all over the world, and Hotel 41 is one of the best. The location is unbelievable..it is right across the street from Buckinham Palace. So, it is not right in front of the "gates," where no hotels are anyway, but, from our room, we could see inside the Palace walls. I remember watching guests arrive for the Queen's Julibee and this all happened right outside our hotel window. Secondly, the staff could not have been more welcoming, professional or knowledgable. Not only did they greet us with a glass of wine (pressed shirts and all), but they helped us out with dinner reservations & show tickets. The hotel is very exclusive, private and also a little expensive, but it truly does stand out as one of the best in my mind. If you're looking for a restaurant, there's one right outside the door...oh ya and a great pub right across the street. The location of the Hotel 41 could not be more perfect. It is walking distance to pretty much anything. The staff was actually very helpful in recommending some top restaurants and getting us some last minute reservations. If you can afford it, then this is the place.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kikio
Reviewed 5 April 2013

I want to start off by saying Hotel 41 is nice, but it is not the number 1 hotel in London. It doesn't have the beauty or service to be number 1.
My wife and I were invited to the UK to attend the big Rugby International between Wales and England. We decided to go a day early and spend a night in London. Although we have been very satisfied with some top hotels on Park Lane in Hyde Park, we decided to take a look at other top properties in London to experience other fine hotels. A friend recommended I pick the number 1 hotel on Trip Advisor. Hotel 41 is listed as the top hotel in London so we booked it expecting the best. When we arrived in London, the hotel transfer went smoothly from the airport. The hotel is located on Buckingham Palace Lane which I thought would afford a nice view of the Palace, but we didn’t even pass the front when arriving. The hotel is located towards the back of the Palace by the Mews. It has a fairly nondescript entrance with the Concierge desk at the front door. We arrived at 11 am and knew it was unlikely the room would be ready so early so we decided to ask the concierge about the surrounding area and where to eat lunch. She was very nice but not overly knowledgeable about the area. She quickly turned to the Internet for answers. I asked about transport to Cardiff for the match and she again turned to the Internet. Fortunately we only had to wait 30 minutes for our room to be ready. We sat in the lounge and had a nice cup of tea while we waited. The hotel is small with only 22 rooms and adjoins one of their other properties. We then went upstairs to check in and the first thing I noticed was that the staffs uniforms were all rumpled and dirty. The staff was very professional and polite. We decided to inquire more about the local restaurants with the receptionists, but again they were not overly knowledgeable about London and turned to their iPads for answers. We then went to the room (an Executive King) and I was shocked at how small it was. The king bed left only a foot of room to the wall. I had to turn sideways to get past the fireplace mantle to the desk and I am not a big guy. Our suitcases didn't both fit lying flat on the floor. The bathroom was nice but the bathtub/shower didn't drain well so the water pooled up to my ankles during a shower. None of my issues are fatal flaws and the hotel was nice, but I had to debunk the Number 1 hotel rating on Trip Advisor. The hotel is quaint, pretty and nice, but doesn't compare at all to the beautiful, luxurious service oriented hotels on Park Lane.

5  Thank WorldTravelerJB45
MalcolmHendry, General Manager at Hotel 41, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2013

Thank you for taking the valuable time to post a review of 41. I am most grateful for this and it most certainly helps me appraise how our services and facilities are received by our guests.

I was sorry to read that you were a little disappointed with certain aspects of your stay, especially so in comparison to some of the larger hotels of Park Lane. It is true that 41 by nature differs in some ways from many of the larger 5 star hotels in London. At 41 we and many of our regular guests feel this to be one of the charms of 41 and our ability to provide something very unique amongst London 5 star hotels has won us many fans and regular guests over the years that 41 has opened its doors as a hotel. Due to the historical age of the building, we do have a variety of rooms in different shapes and sizes, and I am sorry that you were dissatisfied with the size of the room you were allocated. We would be more than happy to show alternative rooms and find the perfect room to suit your needs. Please let me know on your next stay if this is possible.

I have taken on board your comments with regards to our team’s knowledge regarding transport to Cardiff and restaurants around London. We do encourage our front desk staff to follow a recommended listing of restaurants within all London areas, as we find that this helps control the quality of restaurant that we arrange for our guests, as often this is seen as an extension of the hotel experience that we provide. I am sorry that this might have been interpreted in another way.

We passionately believe that the ability to accommodate the early arrival and late departure times of our guests’ travel schedules is so important and we welcome all requests from our guests for either of these requirements. My teams are structured towards delivering on all of these requests, providing courtesy accommodations in the event of specific room allocations not being possible due to departure times.

I am very sorry that your experience was not as positive as that of others on this site but thank you for sharing this with us and highlighting areas where improvement may be found.

Yours sincerely,

Malcolm Hendry

Reviewed 3 April 2013

My sister and her husband often stay here and pursuaded us to book for our joint birthday and anniversary celebration. We were looked after like family and not that over the top, too smiley sort of service but genuinely gracious, competent service. The sort of service which only comes from properly training and supporting your staff and understanding how to provide real luxury with ease. The staff all knew each other and clearly wanted to be there and make sure you had a lovely time. The room was turned down beautifully and when it came to check-out, when I enquired what time it was, it was so refreshing to be told to "take your time", "no rush - enjoy your Sunday morning". Having worked in the industry for a short time myself, I know this causes problems with Housekeeping but they knew this was a special trip for us and made everything very comfortable and easy. Thank you to all the staff - I would return and recommend without hesitation. Truely fabulous experience.

Room Tip: No tip needed - all rooms great
2  Thank Samssister7
Reviewed 1 April 2013

We recently spent the week in London and enjoyed the magnificent 41 Hotel. We did not know which hotel to select for our trip so we simply went to tripadvisor and chose the hotel with the #1 rating. Turns out it was 41 Hotel and we were not at all disappointed! After spending a week in our 'home away from home' we feel we must join the ranks of those who sing their praise.

My husband and I selected a suite as we were traveling with our 18 year old son. The room was so comfortable and tastefully furnished. It's not often the hotel rooms look like their pictures but in this case, the hotel really is as beautiful as we see online. Monika, the assistant manager, went out of her way to make sure that not only were my husband and I comfortable but to make certain our son felt included. The staff was very attentive and met every request with a smile and 'can-do' attitude. We made several last minute tour arrangements and no one so much as paused when we asked for assistance. All the tours and drivers booked through the staff were truly our favorites.

It is quite fitting that the hotel address is Buckingham Palace Road. We were truly made to feel as if we were an extension of the Royal Family. Our family includes the hotel as one of our happy memories from our London trip as opposed to just the place we stayed at night. I will always stay at the 41 Hotel whenever I find myself in London.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the Balmoral Suite with its 3 bathrooms and separate sleeping accommodations for my son...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family