“London's little gem”

Ranked #1 of 1,064 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“London's little gem”
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Arrived at the hotel door which could have doubled for that of a 'Gentleman's Club,' of course it was Hotel 41. Once through the door after being buzzed in you are greeted by a very friendly receptionist, she makes a call to a member of staff who then comes to escort you to the 5th floor and into the Executive Lounge. You are again greeted by more friendly staff members. The Executive lounge is the heart beat of the hotel, the staff more than make you feel welcome and at ease, their attentiveness, it's what the hotel is all about.

The room was adequate, the king size bed an obvious bonus. The bathrooms are larger than most, the showers were a little bit of a challenge. The English Breakfast was disappointing being a vegetarian, there were no alternatives and what they charge it was a total let down; if you go for the continental breakfast you will not be disappointed.

Overall I would definitely recommend this hotel.

4 Thank mariox1us

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (359)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Farnham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2014

We stayed at Hotel 41 on 22nd January on a trip to London to see a couple of shows. I had not previously been aware of this hotel but my wife and I were tremendously impressed with the whole experience.
The service is outstanding and the staff were unfailingly helpful with any requests, including generously allowing us to check out an hour later than normal. This enabled us to visit The Queen's Gallery, almost opposite, the following morning without having to rush.
A glass of champagne on arrival, especially of the quality offered, cannot fail to create an instant feel-good factor and a top-up as we relaxed by the open fire showed that it was more than just a standard gesture. The room itself was beautifully furnished with a well co-ordinated black and white scheme - in fact the only colours in evidence were the fresh berries in the fruit basket and the pale blue remote control for the second television in the bathroom. It is not easy to shave and watch TV at the same time but nevertheless a thoughtful offering. The bed was enormous and the pillows the softest imaginable. The provision of an exotic range of toiletries, bedroom slippers and dressing gowns were appreciated, whether or not used.
On our return from the show we were able to enjoy some tasty snacks from the complimentary buffet and a reasonably priced bottle of wine from the honour bar to round off a thoroughly relaxing day.
A lot of thought has obviously gone into the creation of this gem of a hotel and it is clear that the owners have a flair and a passion for excellence that percolates through the whole establishment. In our view, Hotel 41 thoroughly deserves its position as number 1 on Trip Advisor out of over 1000 London hotels, although to be fair, we have not stayed in all the others. Hotel 41 is not cheap for the average purse, but it is good value and well worth the expense for a special occasion. Mike Thompson Farnham, Surrey

5 Thank miket t
Farnham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 January 2014

First stay for my wife and I, last Saturday to celebrate her birthday, we try and stay at a good hotel for our birthdays every year, this is the second Red Carnation Hotel that we have stayed at.
From the moment we stepped through the door the staff were welcoming and attentive, a choice of champagne and some savoury snacks with check-in. Our room was lovely, we had an Executive King, enormous comfortable bed, complimentary birthday cake and fruit. The room was well equipped with most things that you might need for a short stay and beautifully finished. The room had marble fireplace and a wrought iron gas fire which was more for effect than heat, but quite a nice feature..
It may not have been the biggest or best room that we have stayed in London, but where this hotel absolutely excels is the attention to detail and the personal touch that the staff deliver, nothing seemed too much trouble. When we returned to our room in the evening, collecting a couple of Haagen-dazs strawberry cheesecake ice cream pots on the way, our room had been furnished with chocolate dipped strawberries, rose petals on the bed and bath and half a dozen candles lit, definitely for the girls!
For me its easy to see why this hotel rates so highly in a very competitive market, the staff and management team are an absolute credit and demonstrate faultless hospitality.
41 will joint a fairly short list for me headed 'must return', many thanks for a great stay!

4 Thank Jeremy H
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 January 2014

This is our 3rd stay at 41, our second time at Christmas and yet again it was faultless. It really is like coming to stay with good friends as everyone makes you feel so at home. From remembering the music you like, or don't like, to the lovely surprise when we came back to our room from Christmas night drinks just a little too early!!! All the team were great as usual, but particular thanks go to Lauren, Florent and Stefan for making us feel so special. We felt totally relaxed and pampered for the whole stay and can't wait to come back again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HighMaintenance69
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 January 2014

I have now stayed here twice, once on business and once with my wife as a treat for her birthday. I would now easily rate it as my favourite London hotel.

You enter on the ground floor, and are then taken up to the 5th floor, where the hotel itself is situated. You are offered a glass of champagne as you book in in a beautiful lounge, lined with old books. The rooms themselves are extremely well-appointed and comfortable, and I also specifically want to mention the staff who are a model of courtesy and helpfulness. The wireless internet is free.

We were fortunate enough to be upgraded to a junior suite for my most recent stay, and the room was stunning, with an upstairs and downstairs!

I received an e mail before my stay, inviting me to state preferences such as foam or feather pillows etc, which were then followed perfectly.

There are some very unusual, and enjoyable touches-it has an external 'living wall', a bar where you can serve yourself, free ice cream etc etc.

The hotel is a short walk from Victoria Station, and very close to Buckingham Palace, and the Theatres where Wicked and Billy Elliott are currently on-no more than a 5 minute walk from either.

This is not a "cheap" hotel, and it is small, so you don't get a swimming pool etc, BUT it is a real treat. I don't think unique is too strong a word. It is very unlikely in my view that you would have anything other than a really enjoyable stay here.

4 Thank Simon M
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 16 January 2014

My husband and I stopped over in London for one night before boarding a cruise ship to The United States. Hotel 41 is a great place to stay!

The hotel is quiet, quaint and the staff is there to help with anything 24/7. From the second we walked in the door, to the moment we caught our cab to the train station, everything was perfect.

When we arrived to our room initially, they had a beautiful spread of fruit, chocolates and roses laid out for me as a gift for our wedding. I was very impressed. The room was a nice size, super clean.

Would definitely recommend for a boutique, personalized experience! (Walking Distance to Buckingham Palace, too!)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank a4zat
Lyndhurst, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 January 2014

My daughter and I plus 2 dogs had a 3 night break at Hotel 41. My expectations were high, from website and reputation and we certainly were not disappointed. In fact everything we experienced surpassed expectation. All the staff were attentive, polite and friendly. The bedroom was compact yet perfect, beds were wonderfully comfortable, as, I imagine the dog beds were. We loved sitting in front of the fire with friends (and dogs) in the evening. The pantry nibbles were irresistible.
Overall it was an excellent hotel, would recommend it without hesitation and shall return as soon as I have an excuse to do so.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family