“Very good but slightly uneven”
Review of Hotel 41

Hotel 41
Ranked #1 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Los Altos, California
“Very good but slightly uneven”
Reviewed 27 August 2008

So it's hard for me with this one, because I definitely would echo the sentiments of other reviewers in stating that for the most part the experience here was awesome. However, there was some slight uneveness when it came to the stay. There were some slight issues with the room that didn't detract from our experience since we're not fussy, but were a bit of a surprise and worth mentioning since it wasn't just one thing. The safe didn't work, the luggage stand was broken, the sink didn't drain very well, the TV remote had anemic batteries, and some other such minor annoyances. The room otherwise was lovely and unique. The service in general was outstanding, in particular Andrew. However, there was some unevenness here. We arrived on a flight from the US early in the morning, and our room was not yet vacated or ready. No problem, not the hotel's fault as check in isn't until 3pm. We did a little sightseeing and came back at noon. We were told that the room was vacated and was being serviced at that moment. We were told that it would be ready in 15 to 20 minutes, so we sat in the beautiful lobby lounge and waited. We weren't re-approached to be led to our room until one hour later. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining since this was before check-in still, but I found it strange to be told 15-20 minutes and then have it be an hour. Then we were led to the wrong room on the opposite of the hotel from our room first before being led to the correct room. When we got to the room, I requested bags to be brought up by the porter twice before it was finally delivered 35 minutes after the first request, too long I felt for a small hotel. And we were missing a bag that the porter could not find on a couple of additional tries until I went down personally to the bag check room to show him which bag it was.

The location of the hotel is great, in a quiet area, yet adjacent to Buckingham Palace.

So, don't get me wrong, I would definitely stay here again and would recommend others to stay here, I'm simply pointing out the unevenness of some things.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ParisDreamin'

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (373)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Falkirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2008

We spent 5 wonderful days in London in August 2008, and Hotel 41 helped make the visit out of this world.

The hotel is well situated very close to Buckingham Palace, and an easy walk to Trafalgar Square and on to Covent Garden and the West End. It is also only a couple of minutes walk from Victoria Station.

The Hotel is almost invisible from outside (we asked cab drivers to take us to the Rubens Hotel, Hotel 41's sister hotel, which is right next door).

You could not be made to feel more welcome. The "whatever, whenever" button on the room phone reflects the hotel staff's willingness to make your stay as perfect as possible. The rooms are well equipped with iPod docking stations and a series of complimentary extras are offered on the hotel website, including a choice of pillow types.

The executive lounge is wonderfully decorated and the larder is stocked with delicious complimentary snacks.

Don't get me wrong, the rates at the hotel are by no means the cheapest you will find in London - but if you are looking for that special get-away, you won't go wrong with Hotel 41.

• Liked — Superb service and a great location
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank paulmckelvie
London
Reviewed 20 August 2008

My stay at 41 was short but was certainly long enough for this boutique hotel to make a huge impact on me. The staff are attentive, welcoming, friendly and at all times professional, nothing is too much trouble. On arrival I was given a warm welcome and shown around the hotel, the decor is tasteful which much attention to detail. The lounge area is welcoming, stocked with complimentary snacks and a well stocked honesty bar. I was taken to my room, again beautifully decorated and scrupulously clean with a huge bed dressed in crisp white sheets and sumptious bedding. 41 has a whatever/whenever policy and there is even a 'whatever/whenever' button on the phone in the bedroom. As a femail travelling alone I felt I was in safe surroundings and was well looked after, when I returned from my evening out I found my bed had been turned down and candles had been placed in my bathroom. The attention to detail at 41 is second to none and I look forward to my next visit.

• Liked — Staff, attention to detail
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank kol38
UK
Reviewed 17 August 2008

I simply have nothing bad to say about this wonderful hotel with a fantastic location. We went for the romantic turndown service (which I highly recommend if you want to impress someone special) which was immaculatly executed with champagne, rose petals, candle light and a roaring real fire - truely 'Wow'. They have so many exceptional complimentry services available I simply can't list them all here, and the service and staff were wonderful. Second to none.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Deepestblue
hamburg
Reviewed 11 August 2008

I stayed at the Hotel 41 with a friend of mine and we were extremely happy with the hotel itself, the design of it and the staff. All around friendly people, the check in staff greeted us with a glass of champagne and allowed us to use their hospitality suite while waiting for our room, which was very helpful! The room was considerably large for London and the rain shower was fantastic. We didn't have time to enjoy breakfast the next morning, due to a very early flight home, so the hotel sent up some early morning coffee on the house. We can definitely recommend this hotel for any trip to London! 100% fantastic service!!

Stayed August 2008
2 Thank businesstraveller37
London
Reviewed 4 August 2008

I recently stayed at Hotel 41 with my mum for a 'special' Birthday (we made a weekend of it) and had simply the most fantastic stay. The staff are so welcoming and helpful I can't recommend it enough.

The Executive Lounge is beautifully decorated and has snacks and drinks on hand, an honesty bar (lovely selection of champagne if you fancy a glass, or two…) and they serve the best Earl Grey tea I've had in a long time - you hardly want to leave the tranquility of the place and face the hustle and bustle of London - Mum and I were quite happy sitting in there chatting to the friendly staff and flicking through 'coffee table' books. It's also nice to have your own secure private entrance to the hotel - no queueing to check in/out etc.

Our room was decorated in a tasteful black and white style with lots of unique pieces, not just the standard hotel stuff - they have actually put some thought into the ornaments, lamps and pictures so it's very inviting and has a home-from-home feel (if only my home was actually like that!). -oh and spacious rooms which is a rareity in central London. Well insulated walls & windows so it's very quiet day & night, air conditioned (thankfully as it was very humid when we were there - such bliss to kick your shoes off and relax - in a cool room with comfy hotel slippers and a choice of bathrobes too! (fluffy toweling or waffle)

They seem to have thought of everything you could want (and probably didn't even know you wanted!) - a choice of 12 pillows from the "pillow menu" and lots of little extras that you can ask for (scented candles, face wipes, moisturisers) - nothing seemed any trouble at all, they even pointed out that the telephone had a button called "whatever, whenever" ( no need to search the literature to find out where you're supposed to dial).

The staff are extremely customer focused and really do go the extra mile(s) here and make it seem so effortless. They left a beautiful birthday cake in the room for mum and a card for her - she was so touched and it made for an extra special stay. By pressing “whatever/whenever” the leftover cake we didn’t manage was quickly wrapped up so we could take it away and eat later, well you wouldn’t want to leave something that nice to waste.

Once we'd checked out they kept our luggage there all day, lent us an umbrella (if only the UK weather was reliable!), and when we returned (from a hot, sticky, stressful tube journey) were invited in for a cup of tea in the lounge before we continued home - I know some relatives who wouldn't even make us feel that welcome!

I just wish we’d stayed longer and will definitely be returning. Happy to give advice to others thinking of staying here – my advice: do it now, you won’t regret it, I simply can't sing it's praises enough.

• Liked — Unique Customer Service, decor & atmosphere.
  • Disliked — Leaving
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank boarderchick02
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 1 August 2008

There is no reason why this hotel should not be ranked #1 - it is a fantastic gem. My wife and I were in London celebrating (coincidentally) my 41st birthday and booked three nights at Hotel 41. Located close to all central London attractions as well as an open-top bus tour stop, Hotel 41 is nearly a perfect property.

From the moment we arrived were treated exceptionally well. The staff went out of their way to assist us with tour bookings, dinner reservations, taxis, etc. They even sent a delicious cake to our room in honor of my birthday. Fresh fruit and other snacks were also in abundant supply. The room was wonderful; large by European standards with a very comfortable king size bed, small desk, and sofa. Free wireless was a plus. Complaints? Other than the lack of outlets in the bathroom (according to my wife, a necessity) I can't think of a thing that is wrong with this lovely hotel. We will certainly stay there again.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple