“"Bea" looked after!”
Review of Hotel 41

Hotel 41
Ranked #1 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We spent five nights at 41 in London during Wimbledon. We travel to London nearly every year, but this was our first stay at this hotel. In terms of location, when you check in, you will be neighbors with the Queen as Buckingham Palace is around the corner. As for convenience in getting to anywhere in London, you are a few steps away from Victoria Station that connects to every major line.

This hotel is much like “Platform 9 ¾” in the Harry Potter books – you need to know about it to see it! A black and white awning branded with the number “41” hides away a small walk in lobby manned with one of the seemingly dozens of welcoming staff who tend to your every need. During odd hours, the property is accessed with your keycard.

The heart of the hotel is the magnificent lounge that features a loft level and glass ceiling. Cozy furniture dot the space and a “pantry” of assorted treats, snacks and drinks are beautifully displayed in plain view. You can help yourself or one of the staff is happy to do all the work for you. Complimentary high speed Wifi, printer and other business tools in the lounge loft meant that we could tend to work without having to visit a typical sterile business center. Our room was very spacious and beautifully decorated. Other important features included comfortable beds, full sized hair dryer (yes ladies – full sized and complete with a nozzle!) and large bathrooms with deep soaking tub and great water pressure. The food was equally outstanding.

What puts this hotel over the top is the staff. Professional, efficient and imaginative -- they go out of their way to make your stay enjoyable and to anticipate your needs thoughtfully. The guest rooms wrap around the lounge area. This means that anything you want is literally at your fingertips. The small number of guest rooms allows the staff to give each guest undivided attention 24/7, quite literally. There are no lines at a front desk, no waiting time for concierge services, room service is delivered in no time at all. The ratio of staff to guest is not the only thing that allows this property to deliver such extraordinary service. The other factor is employing true professionals determined to deliver top-notch service with care. This was demonstrated countless times during our stay.

Here are a couple of examples:
We needed a flower arrangement for a dinner we were attending – as the recipient is a boating enthusiast, we requested that they include a tiny boat in the arrangement. Not a problem! The staff didn’t flinch! The gorgeous arrangement, complete with little boat was wrapped and ready to go! It was a team effort led effortlessly by Monika.

I mentioned to Stefan, that when I lived in the UK as a child I loved a particular candy. That night, there was a bottle of champagne in our room and a tray of the candies I had mentioned casually in passing! So special!

Another night we came back to our room to find tens of candles lit around the room and rose petals on the bed in the shape of a heart. No occasion, just an opportunity to delight a guest. This type of service is nearly extinct elsewhere unless specifically requested.

When is the last time you leave a hotel and remember the name of every staff member who made your stay special? Here it goes: Lauren, Monika, Remus, Stefan, Julien, Piero, Peter, David, Victoria, Tyrone, Simone, Stefanie, Flo, Michaela, Mickesha, Juiliana and Marius. A long list of people who delivered flawless service.

There is no doubt where we will be staying on any future trip to London. We were curious as to whether this is a stand alone property. It is not. It is part of the Red Carnation group, properties dreamed up and presided over by Bea Tollman. She should be proud of her creation – hospitality at its finest.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
8  Thank scooby19

Reviewed 30 June 2014

41 Hotel is not a super high-end hotel. It is a welcoming ,warm comfortable little hotel with a meticulous style and staff. It has a great location just across from the Mews where the carriages for Buckingham Palace are housed, and right up the street from The Palace. There is some serious construction nearby - the rebuilding of Victoria Station, but it didn't cause any problems for those of us staying at the hotel. This is an unusual hotel idea - the housing of a small boutique hotel within (on one floor) a larger hotel. You enter off the street where there is a desk and attendant who can help with pretty much anything, and go up in the elevator to the hotel. You are guided through several hallways past guest rooms to the main reception room where everything happens. There is a living room area with a tv, a breakfast area, a library area, the reception desk and many very attentive staff members to assist with everything. You can have meals here, in your room, or next door in the larger hotel, or in the casual restaurant on the other side of the entrance. 41 Hotel is the comforting and comfortable harbor; a joy to return to after a busy day at the Victoria and Albert Museum, the Tate Museums, Harrods or any of the other myriad of London offerings.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank SagHarborAlice
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We have stayed in London on many occasions but after a friend's recommendation we booked Hotel 41 for the last few days of a month's holiday in Europe. We were certainly not disappointed as the quiet "club" atmosphere, luxurious rooms and amenities were outstanding. The staff were a perfect balance of friendliness and professionalism - right from the welcome champagne to our evening departure for Heathrow. Arrangements were made on our behalf without hesitation or fuss. The availability of snacks and substantial evening food in the lounge was a bonus. Lauren and the front desk staff were wonderful and we can't wait to visit again!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank drkenbuck
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I must admit I had never heard of Hotel 41 when my husband told me he had chosen this hotel for our anniversary stay in London. However I knew it would be good as he had selected it because of its superb Trip Advisor reviews. What we hadn't anticipate was how fabulous our stay would be!!!

From the moment we arrived through the doors we experienced fantastic customer service. We were offered champagne by the Stephan the most unique, eccentric, likeable member of the Hotel 41 team. Such a wonderful way to welcome us.

The decor in the Executive Lounge is sumptuous and luxurious. The skylight ceiling allowing the afternoon sunshine to flood into the room. We later returned to this room in the evening to relax and enjoy a complementary drink and ice cream.

When we were shown to our room we were told that we had been upgraded to the Conservatory Suite. We didn't appreciate at the time how lucky we were until the member of staff kindly showed us to our accommodation. The suite consisted of a lounge area downstairs, upstairs was the bedroom, dressing room and huge bathroom. We were absolutely amazed when a button was pressed and the white ceiling folded back to show a huge glass conservatory roof! The suite was gorgeous, black and white themed luxury. A huge bed, a huge bath, a huge television and the stunning glass ceiling. We slept under that stars that evening, a truly unique experience.

Breakfast lived up to expectations. We dined in the Executive lounge which had been converted into a dining room. My husband opted for a cooked breakfast, whilst I decided to help myself to the Breakfast buffet bar. All top ingredients, and service second to none.

We really can not fault this amazing hotel. It you are fortunate enough to be able to stay here you will not be disappointed. Thank you Hotel 41 for making our anniversary stay so memorable. We literally can not wait to come back and visit!

Room Tip: For a special occasion the Conservatory Suite is amazing!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank MT40
Reviewed 30 June 2014

After some deliberation I decided to stay in the number one ranked TripAdvisor hotel in London for my 2 days in the city. Expected great things and in some areas they delivered, in others not quite. The room(exc king) was rather small but I knew that ahead of time when making the booking, the bathroom in particular was pretty tiny, and the lack of a separate walk in shower was disappointing, there was a shower vent in the ceiling over the bath. Heated towel rail didn't seem to be on at any point. Liked the black and white theme of the room, bed and sheets were outstanding and I slept great on both nights. Had read in other reviews that the positioning of the t.v was awkward but mine was directly in front of the bed and could easily be watched. The t.v in the bathroom was also a nice touch. Always plenty of piping hot water throughout was well.

The staff were first class, as you would imagine, couldn't do enough for me or any of the other guests, friendly, welcoming and all round fantastic. The executive lounge was my favorite place to be, so relaxing and comfy, great peaceful atmosphere(I appeared to be the only English person in the hotel the entire 2 days, it seems to be very popular with Americans), the buffet or "Plunder the Pantry" both nights were a pleasure, lovely food, cheeses, meats, fish, prawns, types of bread, fruits and many other treats, desserts as well and sweets and crisps etc laid on throughout the daytime to help yourself to at any time. Free ice cream as well and an honesty bar with a wide selection of drinks. This is not to say that the staff just leave you to fend for yourself, because they are on hand should you need any assistance whatsoever. Had read in previous reviews that they were too attentive at times, but I didn't see or experience any of this, the balance was in my view just right.

Breakfast was on reflection, good but not great, the full english was good, the continental was rather disappointing though, selection wasn't as thorough and the pastries not as fresh or as tasty as say, at The Dorchester or the Langham, where I have also stayed in the past few months, so overall pretty good, but not as luxurious or as wide a choice as at the aforementioned places. For two nights with breakfast included and factoring in some drinks I had from the honor bar, the entire stay was just over 800, which when you consider your getting the buffet on tap all evening and treats on tap all day, however much or often you want, is fantastic.

To sum up it was a very enjoyable stay, the buffet delivered, the staff were great, room was ok, but small, am sure the suites would be lovely to stay in, the lounge a great place to be, the hotel doesnt have the historic or grand scale of many other famous london hotels, but thats what makes it different and I would recommend staying here and seeing for yourselfs.

Room Tip: Executive King rooms are pretty small, certainly not a problem if your a single person staying, but...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank Carl Y
Reviewed 29 June 2014

When visiting London Hotel 41 is a must! Absolute perfection from the minute you enter the front door. The entire staff was accommodating and genuinely concerned with exceeding all of our expectations. Our dining experiences for breakfast and dinner were excellent.

During our stay we had a family emergency back in the US and the Executive Lounge was a very comforting environment for us to spend time. The staff was attentive but not intrusive.

Room Tip: All rooms are suites
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank TexasTravellingMiMi
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I had one night to spend by myself in London before meeting my group. This was exactly what I wanted. There is a pleasant lounge where you can get a simple meal in a club like atmosphere. I do not like going out to dinner alone so this was perfect. I noticed families enjoyed this feature as well. The staff was amazing. As soon as I checked in everyone knew my name. I do not know how they do it. I wanted a luxury stay for the night and this definitely met the desire. It is within walking distance of the the pageantry of Buckingham Palace, the city's beautiful parks and historic buildings.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo