“Great place!”

Ranked #1 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Amsterdam
“Great place!”
Reviewed 30 December 2008

Very friendly and service oriented staff. The relaxed way of check-in while sitting in comfortable arm chairs is unique. No need to hurry at all.
The room was very nice and comfortable, it even had a gas fire place!
A "must stay there" hotel when visiting London. The staff truely goes the last mile to make your stay unforgettable!
Highly recommendable!

• Liked — Home like atmosphere
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Traveller_NL3

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (373)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Weybridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 December 2008

I booked a one-night stay for me and hubby at Hotel 41 on the strength of the superlative reviews it has received via TripAdvisor and hoped my high expectations wouldn't be dashed. Luckily my expectations were exceeded!

The service we received was second to none. We were genuinely delighted that we were treated in such a friendly, accommodating and special manner without the slightest whiff of stuffiness or snootiness from all the wonderful members of staff. It was like staying with old friends. We went out for a rather indifferent dinner in Knightsbridge and just couldn't wait to come 'home' again to the 41. We made good use of the lounge facilities, including the excellent 'plunder the pantry'!

We found it was the little extra touches that made the experience so cherished: ice and a tray of olives and sliced lemon in your room for your pre-dinner aperitif, a toasty hot water bottle at the bottom of the bed which we were delighted to discover upon turning in for the night. We paid extra for the romantic turndown as we fancied having champagne anyway and it was such a joy to come back to our room to the candles and rose petals adorning every surface.

As we booked through Expedia, our room rate included afternoon tea and full English breakfast, which made our weekend break seem rather good value for the luxury we experienced. The room was not particularly large so I'm glad we went for the Executive King. Every inch of the hotel is decorated beautifully in a classic, timeless style that would suit any taste. The lounge was especially sumptious and welcoming.

If I were to be picky, I would mention that the fireplace in our room didn't seem to work and our request for someone to have a look at it went unanswered. The TV was at an awkward angle for watching in bed and the picture was very dark with no buttons to adjust the brightness. The location isn't bad if you like walking (as we do) but if you head towards Victoria station the area becomes rather seedy. However, none of these issues marred our experience in any way.

We seemed to be the only 'locals' staying at the hotel as the other guests we encountered were European or American. We felt very proud that these visitors would be leaving London with such a wonderful impression of the accommodation our capital has to offer. In all, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel and would dearly love to return in the near future.

• Liked — The service
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JessieWillow
Brentwood, CA
Reviewed 12 December 2008

41 is someplace that everyone should experience. Extremely attentive staff who took care of every need. We looked forward to coming back to the hotel every evening. Exquisite ambiance made even more lovely by the people who work there.
We are defintely staying there on every trip to London.

• Liked — The Staff
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank powerplay1
Winnetka, Illinois
Reviewed 12 December 2008

My husband and I just stayed at the 41 Hotel in London for four nights and enjoyed a wonderful experience. We usually stay at the Capital but had heard of the many positive attributes of the 41 and wanted a change. The aesthetics encompassing the overall hotel design and culinary skills are admirable. The hotel staff is definately not the usual superficial standard of a large hotel, but that of the stature of a Relais & Chateau style of affiliation. Warm, hard working and knowledgeable, they are professionally trained beyond what we have come to expect nowadays. There are many nice touches such as in the evening, ice and a small tray of olives, lemon/lime slices are left in your room in case you would like to prepare a drink. During turn down service, a floating candle is lit in the bathroom along with some soft jazz playing, a fire turned on in the small gas fireplace and the lights dimmed...not to mention the fantastic bed and plush linens.

The only potential drawback if any is the gorgeous but small public area which does not provide any privacy. Also, the "plunder the pantry" idea is a nice one, however somewhat confusing. The clientele is upscale and relaxed, but most of us were perplexed (and embarassed to ask) about the set up in general. The hotel and food prices are very high and most items in the "pantry" including water, soft drinks and the like are not gratis as is standard in concierge spaces. Management would be smart to rethink this as it slightly cheapens their overall 5 star service. This is a small but important factor.

• Liked — The service
  • Disliked — The service was almost too good for a small sized area.
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank luxchicago2016
uk
Reviewed 8 December 2008

We have just returned from a weekend at this hotel. We have stayed at many hotels when visiting London, but this has got to be our favourite.

It is a peaceful place to relax and spend some quality time with family or friends.

The staff are great. The breakfast delicious and the attention to detail first class.

• Liked — peace and first class service
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank explorer077
Budapest
Reviewed 7 December 2008

I spend 4 nights in this hotel and I have to say that was perfect ! Beautiful and comfortable rooms, kind and professional staff, good atmosphere in the middle of Lindon. Like a peaceful island in the sea. I can recommend for everybody who really likes the good places. (Antoinette, thank you for your kind help when I was in trouble !) Mónika from Hungary

• Liked — beautiful rooms, kind staff, silence, peaceful atmosphere
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank Moncsi
Worthing
Reviewed 27 November 2008

Trust me.................this hotel is absolutely wonderful. Mainly because of my job (rather than my wallet!!), I am very well travelled and looked after, but can honestly say that the 41 Hotel is up there with the very best.

Wonderful, caring staff - you don't get the insincere "in your face" bowing and scraping that is often associated with 5 Star Hotels here. Without exception, these guys are genuinely eager to please and appear to really enjoy their work environment and take great pride in their hotel and the facilities on offer. Also discreet, but always around if needed and treated my wife and I as privileged guests from the moment we arrived. Drinks on the house during check in were a nice touch and most welcome after a 2 hour journey from the South Coast.

The room was ultra clean (I'm an extremely fussy git!!) and the turn down service is well worth paying for. After watching the Billy Elliot Saturday matinee (this is a brilliant show by the way), we ate out at La Famiglia in Chelsea in the evening (don't bother going here, it's expensive and over-rated), so wasn't hungry on getting back to the hotel, but still couldn't resist the free supper and the "honesty book" drinks that are available every night in the Executive Lounge.

All in all a truly superb experience and credit crunch allowing I would not want to stay anywhere else in future trips to London.

One more tip if I may.................go see La Clique at the Hippodrome Leicester Square if you can. This was marvellous entertainment at a great venue and finish off a great evening at the Joy King Lau Chinese restaurant just down the road in Leicester Street. This was recommended to me by a Chinese friend and it was full of Chinese couples and families on the Sunday night (always a good sign) and it didn't disappoint.

My wife and I had a wonderful weekend - Billy Elliot and La Famiglia on the Saturday followed by the London Duck tour (brilliant!), the London Eye, La Clique and Joy King Lau on the Sunday. But thanks mainly to the 41 Hotel, I now have enough bonus points from the wife to last me a lifetime! We can't wait to go back.

• Liked — Absolutely everyting. A truly top class hotel.
  • Disliked — Absolutely nothing.
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple