“great hotel, but what is it with air conditioning?”
Review of Hotel 41

Hotel 41
Ranked #1 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 9 February 2009

My wife and I had a great 3 night stay at this hotel.It was when we went to bed on the first night that our only major problem emerged.Having switched off the air-conditioning in our room we could hear constant machine noise from outside. We were offered a complimentary upgrade to an executive suite at the front of the hotel which we accepted. As I suspected the machine noise came from the external unit for the hotel's air conditioning.This isn't the first time I've had an issue with this type of noise at a hotel.Ironically,the room to which we were moved was at the front of the hotel but was sufficiently well insulated to prevent traffic noise being an issue. I don't know how the hotel would have handled my complaint if it had been full. My other issue is with the cost of breakfast. It was very good but I thought the price to be too high. It is incongruous to pay for breakfast when in the evening complimentary snacks, including bread,meats,cheese,etc are laid on. Don't let the foregoing put you off. The hotel is excellent and I endorse the compliments found in other reviews. Its failings are of the type I've found in other similarly expensive hotels. Can somebody just find a way to silence air conditioning units?

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank acontributor
There are newer reviews for Hotel 41

Reviewed 7 February 2009

Just a quick review or I'll end up writing pages.

41 is quite unique and worthy of an excellent score. It had been a goal of mine to stay here for some time and now it has been achieved I can't wait to go back!

Outstanding room, lounge and building. But what makes 41 so special is the amazing staff. Fulfilling the guests unexpressed wishes (along with expressed ones) seems to be their speciality.

Plus the best gin and tonic ever!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank 5Star_Service_Seeker
Reviewed 6 February 2009

I was returning back from Asia on business and my girlfriend had met me at the airport. To my surprise a driver with Merc had met me and whisked me off to the 41. Never heard of the place before! Fantastic, discreet entrance which led into the most incredible luxury. Think sumptious town house, antiques, modern gadets. The room we had was superb with black & white tiling bathroom - think old school mixed with modern. We have since looked at another holiday break but with our pet Jack Russell. We stumbled across the fact they are pet friendly aswell, via www.maps4pets.com and notice that their other hotels are pet friendly also. (We show dogs, so that's good news). The magic bell?

They have a bell on your bedside table with a notice saying: " Anything, Anytime." How cool is that? I wanted to find out the result to a horserace, and they phoned me back with the answer almost straight away.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dogloverLondon
Reviewed 5 February 2009

The little simple door set on the pavement , leads to what can only be described as, a perfect heavenly cocoon. You realy do not come across this kind of standard in the UK, it is normally associated with the Far East..
Everyone seems to mention the staff, and we can confirm they are absolutely fantastic, taking a real sincere care in your requirements and needs. It is such a pleasure in seeing a young and vibrant team working to such very high standards. Its worth going just to meet the staff.
The hotel without question will meet all your requirements with a ease that seems so simple.
We stay in London for long weekends about 3 times a year, now we have stayed here, we could not imagine staying anywere else.
It is a little pricey but trust us it realy is worth that little extra.
Thankyou to everyone. A Fab time.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MKBC
Reviewed 3 February 2009

Great hotel for relaxation and luxury. The staff truly try to make your stay good, nothing too much trouble. There is a real culture amongst the staff of trying to make everything great.

Although not cheap we got a good deal from an internet site which included breakfast on both days and VAT. We chose the 3 course meal in the hotel next door, Rubens, as our inclusive option and it was excellent. This actually made our stay in London very reasonably priced for the top class luxury we received.

The food was really lovely and a cut above other hotels.

Area was good for easy shopping and very close to outstanding sites in London . Convenient for the tube.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jezebell
Reviewed 30 January 2009

My sister and I stayed for 5 nights at the 41 to celebrate her 60th Birthday with a week of shows in January. Andrew runs a superb operation. I assume the Red Carnation Group knows what a jewel they have.

As others have noted, the service is superlative –the staff takes care of every detail, and always in a friendly and unobtrusive manner. Although neither the rooms nor the bathrooms are large (our last London stay was at the Royal Horseguards--, where curiously the rooms also have a black and white motif -- and the Horseguards’ room was probably twice the size of our 41room), but the 41executive lounge (which was literally steps away from our room) became part of our vacation experience. I miss Anna (who was wonderful) serving tea there each afternoon.

I don’t remember anyone commenting on the quality of the food, which matches the standard set by the 41 service. One evening we had a mango salad with fresh mint, and the mint tasted as if Andrew picked it an hour ago from his garden.

It is a very special place.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank BostonGolfer
Reviewed 15 January 2009

My husband and I spent a wonderful 5 nights in the very special hotel during the last week of November 2008. We were unsure of what to expect and we were completely delighted by every experience we had at Hotel 41.

The staff are the best we have encountered in 30 years of International Travel. they were effecient , unobtrusive, professional and friendly at the same time and always there. Nothing was a problem and we felt they always went the extra mile to make sure we were Ok. They would always greet us with a smile and an enquiry as to how our day had been. When we checked in, very exhausted after a long flight from Sydney, they greeted us with a comfortable chair and a glass of champagne in the magnificient reception room and made sure the whole check-in process was simple, efficient and quick. In fact it was like staying at a grand luxurious yet understated private home

We then walked to our beautiful room where we were greeted by a spotlessly clean, elegant, comfortable room. Not your typical hotel room in anyway, this one , with its black and white theme had all the comforts and special touches of a home away from home. every detail is taken care of, fluffy towels, hot water bottle, the most comfortable , clean bed mattress and linen you will ever experience, clean carpet, olives and lemon in your room and complimenary water every night.

It is simply too difficult to write all of the wonderful features of Hotel 41, you need to experience it for yourself. Andrew and team you are the best, please keep up the good work. Thank you for making our stay in Londen ( our 6th) perfect.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with family