“A perfect wedding night!”
Review of Hotel 41

Hotel 41
Ranked #1 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 18 August 2009

We stayed at hotel 41 on the night of our wedding and the following night. We were expecting a most perfect stay and we were not let down! Staff extremely hospitable, cosy and well decorating room and the little extras were lovely. We were so excited at our wedding reception party that my husband and I ate very little. On our return to the hotel at about 2am we were starving! We went to the lobby and the staff prepared us a platter of hams, cheese, salad and bread! It was delightful!
The breakfasts are first class.
On our second night we had a 3 course meal in The Library (part of the 2 night hotel package we had booked) and it was PERFECT. A elegant and romatic experience, and again the staff were wonderful.

We recommend this hotel to our friends and family...and to you!

2  Thank reviewerSurrey
Write a ReviewReviews (2,939)

Reviewed 17 August 2009

This hotel is really going the extra mile. I spent the weekend there with my husband, brother and sister in law and we cannot fault it. Far better than many well known five strt hotels. The staff are exceptional (Andrew the manager, ladies who served breakfast and staff in library restuarant in particular) and it lays on many of the extras other hotels promise but never quite live up to expectations. This hotel exceeded our expectations at every turn. The location is great - right beside Victoria tube station and a two minute walk from B palace. Lovely breakfast and dinner in the Library, great bar with pianist, v. comfortable room with turn down service including water and chocolates, nice toiletries, drinks on arrival. One observation (not criticism) rooms and in fact whole hotel very compact. Would certainly recommend and return!!

2  Thank PAC77
Reviewed 16 August 2009

Stayed at Hotel 41 for one night to celebrate our anniversary and were not disappointed. The staff made us feel welcome from the minute we walked through the door and, although we had booked the Sparkle Package (and so anticipated the very welcome bottle of Laurent Perrier on ice when we returned after a long day's shopping) it was the unexpected extra touches that made our stay. The room was lovely, with the biggest bed I've ever seen (and a docking station for your iPod a nice touch) and the bathroom was clean and well stocked with all the luxuries you'd need. The hotel is perfectly placed for anyone arriving into Victoria Station, as it's only a short walk away. The exclusive entrance and reception for Hotel 41 guests (separate from the Rubens Hotel which occupies the lower floors of the building) gives a VIP feel. As other reviewers have said, the executive lounge where you are greeted/checked in and which also incorporates the bar and breakfast room is in the style of an elegant gentleman's club. There are, of course, cheaper hotels in London but, if you want to treat yourself and are looking for somewhere that bit special, I'd wholeheartedly recommend this hotel.

2  Thank ClickerJersey
Reviewed 12 August 2009

My husband and I recently stayed at Hotel 41. It is impossible to share every reason that our stay was a delight. The room was beautiful, with a comfortable bed and luxurious linens. Not only was the "standard" service beyond our expectations (ice, lemon slices, olives, cookies and candlelight delivered with the nightly turn-down service), but the staff went out of their way to meet our individual needs. For instance, the first night we stayed, I telephoned the front desk and asked if they could give me the weather forecast for the next day. Then, each night when we returned from a long day of sight-seeing, perched on the bed was a neatly typed notecard with the next day's forecast.. This is just one example of many of their attempt to fulfill and anticipate our every need. I highly recommend 41!

2  Thank TravelFan60
Reviewed 11 August 2009

We stayed at the 41 for 5 glorious nights in room 4101. I was traveling with my 13 year old daughter to celebrate her birthday. Our room was beautiful and it faced the Royal Mews and around the corner to Buckingham Palace. It was like being the Queen’s next door neighbors. Every morning we were greeted with a friendly wake-up call (a real live person and not a mechanical prerecorded voice) follow by coffee and pastries in our room, and then we would go into the Executive Lounge to enjoy our breakfast before we leave for a full day of sights-seeing and shopping. Andrew and his team of staff could not have done more for us during our stay to make this a truly most amazing trip for me and my daughter. Each evening we would retired to the lounge for drinks and on more than one occasion we would “Plunder the Pantry” for delicious treats after returning from the theater or shopping.

It would be our pleasure to return to 41 and I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who would love to live like a Queen, even if it is just for a few days.

To the staff of 41, you guys are the best and we hope to see you next year.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank MommaBear88
Reviewed 8 August 2009

Wow, what a place, beautiful boutique hotel, fantastic location, impeccable rooms and fantastic service. We just loved the whole atmosphere and there seemed nothing that we wanted for.

The old gentleman club feel, black and white decor, armchairs for breakfast and the attention to detail would mean that we would always want to return, but it's a little costly and therefore would only ever be a treat.

The only negative point is that the front door is around 20 feet inside the congestion zone and therefore you end up paying £8 midweek just to drop you luggage off.

If you can afford it it's well worth visiting, an absolute delight.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank andyhofer
Reviewed 6 August 2009

Let me begin by saying that for my girlfriend's birthday, I wanted to take her somewhere special, and Hotel 41 seemed as though it would be the perfect place to stay in London. The website sold it to me really well, with nice little touches such as a complimentary glass of champagne on arrival, complimentary fruit and jellybeans in the room etc.

These 'extra touches' did not exist. They were a fallacy; we were not offered our champagne reception, and the jellybeans etc were actually a chargeable purchase from the minibar (with the price printed on the side). Despite confirming with staff beforehand that we would be arriving early, we were still made to wait hours for our room even though we had been assured that this wouldn't happen.

With regards to the room itself, it was generally clean although very small. Our 'state of the art entertainment system' however, was an old small tv without good enough reception to watch any channels. Although we found the bathroom to be generally clean, this did not excuse the PUBIC HAIRS that we found on the bathmat and in the bath. Needless to say we decided against using it.

The last point I will make is that the staff, although friendly, do not appear to understand the concept of their own 'do not disturb' light. Despite only staying for one night, we were disturbed whilst we had indicated that we didn't wish to be, asking if we wanted clean sheets. I can only assume the sheets were clean when we arrived, and we'd only been there a few hours, so it was hardly an emergency worth annoying guests who had made it clear that they didn't want disturbing!

Overall it was a very disappointing experience. The hotel is nice but my time there was marred by not receiving what I was promised, the hairs in the bath and being disturbed and offered clean sheets just hours after checking in. I have stayed in many hotels in London and can tell you that there are cleaner and more honest hotels for less than half what i paid to stay here. It was a huge letdown and not the experience that I had promised my partner.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
17  Thank tbagfish
MalcolmHendry, General Manager at Hotel 41, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2009

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of 41 on Tripadvisor. I am most grateful for your feedback, which is such a valuable source of information for me, regardless of whether it is good or bad, and helps me monitor the service we provide.

I was most concerned to read of the issues you experienced during your stay, particularly as you had planned this as a special birthday celebration for your girlfriend. I was sorry to read that you found your room rather small and were dissatisfied with the housekeeping standards. Due to the age of the building, we do have a variety of rooms in different shapes and sizes, however all rooms should be prepared to the highest level of cleanliness, which does not appear to have been the case on your visit. Here at 41, we pride ourselves on the standards of product and service we provide, which makes it all the more disappointing to read that we have let ourselves down on this occasion. I would also like to apologise for the fact that you did not receive all the little touches that make a stay at 41 so special and that your stay was interrupted despite your request not to be disturbed.

I am very sorry that your experience was not as positive as that of others on this site and the errors in the service you received were indeed unacceptable. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused and my assurance that I have personally conveyed your dissatisfaction to my Resident Manager, my Executive Housekeeper and their teams.

I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to 41 in person in the not too distant future and to restore your faith in the hotel and us.

Best regards,